The Vancouver Media Thread | Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I wonder if something else happened farther back.

He was writing articles exclusively about the Canucks since the off-season, then once the season began he abruptly began writing about the Seattle Kraken instead.

There’s been something off about his reporting from the get go. He appeared out of nowhere, had a few weird tweets that he has since deleted, too.

I guess he was a bad example but it's not the first time the Canucks have decided to limit media from attending this season. They wouldn't let Harman Dayal in earlier in the year.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He's kind of an independent now but has worked for middle range media companies in the past. I could be off, but I'd say it's the equivalent to the Canucks giving passes to canucksarmy.

CanucksArmy were denied passes until a couple of years into the Linden/Benning era. Benning of course hired one of the CA alumni.

I wonder if current management have gone back to being more restrictive. Anyone know what the league norm is?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I saw that exchange on Twitter. Morrissette certainly fired up. Crux of the matter appears to be that Simpson lacks actual media accreditation / credentials at this time.

Reactions: Vector

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I wonder if something else happened farther back.

He was writing articles exclusively about the Canucks since the off-season, then once the season began he abruptly began writing about the Seattle Kraken instead.

There’s been something off about his reporting from the get go. He appeared out of nowhere, had a few weird tweets that he has since deleted, too.
He has a wiki page,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Simpson

Anyway, he wrote an article about Canucks this month
Trades? Canucks Phone Lines Open; Team 'Day To Day' - Vancouver Hockey Insider

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
This post isn’t about media members, but kinda feels right for here cause it’s Twitter and that’s largely where we get our media from?

Are any of you high profile “Canucks Twitter” posters? Anyone seen the shitstorm on there today? Some “Dan” guy with a bunch of defenders on there is claiming some “Mike” guy catfished him and there’s some “hallie” who I think may be the supposed victim here, which people like “Uncle Laleet” claim “Dan” is doing to cover what he apparently did…wtfffffffffffff why Elon make me see all that bs?

Edit- now at least one party is throwing the “L” word around, lawyer not love. :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
This post isn’t about media members, but kinda feels right for here cause it’s Twitter and that’s largely where we get our media from?

Are any of you high profile “Canucks Twitter” posters? Anyone seen the shitstorm on there today? Some “Dan” guy with a bunch of defenders on there is claiming some “Mike” guy catfished him and there’s some “hallie” who I think may be the supposed victim here, which people like “Uncle Laleet” claim “Dan” is doing to cover what he apparently did…wtfffffffffffff why Elon make me see all that bs?

Edit- now at least one party is throwing the “L” word around, lawyer not love. :laugh:

I steer clear of all that drama and trash. I follow some of the people mentioned but don't really know why.

Reactions: Vector and m9

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Last year around this time Sekeres and Price has a series of short interviews with former canucks.

Looks like they're doing it again with a Keith Ballard interview up, and Raffi Torres as well. I've only just started the Torres one but it's very good.

Last year it a it was Raymond, Rome, Hordichuk, and Samuelsson. All worth going back and listening to.

Reactions: Lindgren

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Last year around this time Sekeres and Price has a series of short interviews with former canucks.

Looks like they're doing it again with a Keith Ballard interview up, and Raffi Torres as well. I've only just started the Torres one but it's very good.

Last year it a it was Raymond, Rome, Hordichuk, and Samuelsson. All worth going back and listening to.

This may be the only city in the world that can’t move past a finals loss after 15 years. It’s insane.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This may be the only city in the world that can’t move past a finals loss after 15 years. It’s insane.

You don't think wallowing in failure and constantly celebrating a loss for over a decade is healthy?

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I guess we will look back four years from now and see if what you said was correct.

You don't think wallowing in failure and constantly celebrating a loss for over a decade is healthy?
Your post at least has a leg to stand on by forgoing the dishonesty.

Reactions: rypper and m9

rypper

Dec 22, 2006

Hey it's a series of fun interviews with former Canucks, sure they touch on the 2011 (11 ish years ago) cup run but it's a small part. But be a curmudgeon if you want.

I got a kick out of hearing Raffi talk about his time in junior, his time with the Islanders, and the stark difference in locker rooms between New York and Edmonton.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!....IMac with one of the most negative reviews of the current state of the Canucks as I've ever seen on Sportsnet.

I quote: "Substantial change on the Canucks has seemed inevitable from the first six games of the season. 36 games in, it feels overdue." Amen to that.

Reactions: Ghetty Green and m9

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Nah. Curse of the Bambino until it was broken... the Bartman incident until the Cubs won the championship... Sabres fans and the Brett Hull "No Goal"... the list goes on. And for the players it might be worse. You don't think that players from teams that almost won don't think about it?

Reactions: Cascadian Canadian

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Wow!....IMac with one of the most negative reviews of the current state of the Canucks as I've ever seen on Sportsnet.

I quote: "Substantial change on the Canucks has seemed inevitable from the first six games of the season. 36 games in, it feels overdue." Amen to that.

Wait, seriously? Not even two weeks ago, it was all about 'stay the course':

I was quite alarmed by iMac's appearance on Halford and Brough today, because I think it provides a window into ownership's thinking.

• Brough basically asked is it time to tear it down, and iMac went back to the "good young core" talking points of the Benning era, saying you already have these three guys, why wouldn't you want to build around them? No real acknowledgement of how impossible that is to do in the present cap situation, or really any doubt about them. It was very reminiscent of the defenses of Benning we saw here and elsewhere.

• Brough pushed back on the Big Three being good enough [I think this point is less important – obviously any good players contribute to winning and I don't really believe any group of good players "can't" win or improve when supplemented], but iMac once more did the optimistic-fan thing where he referred to the Edmonton bubble (sigh) and basically just assumed each player's best is what he will be (particularly for Demko – because of a gleam in his eye), rather than considering the full body of work, whether they could regress, whether many other teams have comparable "pieces", etc.

• Brough asked whether the Canucks have an explainable plan – iMac said the idea of a tear-down rebuild "has only been a thing in the last 10 years or so". Noting how no one ever talked about tear-downs in Pat Quinn's day, but rather he (and all GMs) simply just tried to make the team better bit by bit, through trades, coaching, development, etc.

I think the last part in particular is very worrisome. Yeah, no sh** in the pre-cap days teams just tried to accumulate as much talent as they could. There was no opportunity cost. The point of management has completely changed now, and the idea that (1) the Canucks can get significantly better without cap flexibility, or (2) this can be accomplished incrementally through Ethan Bear-type trades and better coaching techniques is exactly what I fear ownership thinks. "Ah, just a couple more baby steps." With no concept of the barriers they face. Because that's not how it worked in the '90s. (Hell, iMac even alluded to needing to draft players like Pettersson because you can't get them in trades...)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Here’s the article.

The same core of players that has failed the last two seasons to make the playoffs was unable at the end of 2022 to sustain any kind of momentum, drive the team’s own standards for consistent effort and execution or build a positive identity.

Canuck general manager Patrik Allvin has been making trade calls on a bunch of players but Miller, with a seven-year, $56-million-US extension locked in starting next season, is not one of them.

Substantial change on the Canucks has been inevitable since the first two weeks of the season. Thirty-six games in, it feels overdue.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
If Allvin owned up to his error and traded Miller, for literally anything, I would go down to Rogers arena and construct a statue of him, to scale, made entirely out of recycled chewing gum that I've scraped up off the ground, from under benches, etc.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If Allvin owned up to his error and traded Miller, for literally anything, I would go down to Rogers arena and construct a statue of him, to scale, made entirely out of recycled chewing gum that I've scraped up off the ground, from under benches, etc.

Please post time-lapse video of its construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad