The Value of Goaltenders

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Goalies are Voodoo, there's a reason most goalies aren't taken in the first round/top 20.

Unless you are getting a borderline guaranteed star goalie picking one top 10 is a bad plan. Unless your getting a really good goalie with star potential 10-20 is also not a great plan.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I watched Roy’s entire career.

Changes nothing in regards to Vasi. He’s on the best team in the league with the best defenseman to go with it. Put Lundqvist or Price or Hellebuyck on those clubs and they’re winning cups as well.

Yeah if you think Hedman this season and in the playoffs is anywhere near the best dmen then this is a pointless discussion.

Put Vasilevskiy behind Colorado or NYI and his #s will be even higher

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah if you think Hedman this season and in the playoffs is anywhere near the best dmen then this is a pointless discussion.

Put Vasilevskiy behind Colorado or NYI and his #s will be even higher
So he's not behind a stacked team then? Hedman is what? A scrub? And you're going to seriously try to argue this with a straight face?

Reactions: I am toxic

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
So he's not behind a stacked team then? Hedman is what? A scrub? And you're going to seriously try to argue this with a straight face?

Arguing over semantics how lame. What would you consider to be stacked? A playoff team that isn't the Jets or Habs? Ok

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Arguing over semantics how lame. What would you consider to be stacked? A playoff team that isn't the Jets or Habs? Ok
Semantics? No.

You have the best team in the league. Hedman is a Norris nominee this year and was last year's Smythe winner. This is his fifth straight nomination and he's won it once. He's the best in the league.

Kucherov is a Hart/Pearson winner. Stamkos is a Richard winner... Your team is the reigning cup champion. This is not a semantical argument. But you do you.

Last edited:
Reactions: JakeFromStateFarm

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Price AINEC
Alot of people would argue that.
It's tough to really say who is best. Everyone goes by numbers but a goalies numbers are directly related to the team in front of him.
I'd say Price and Vasilevsky are definitely both in the top 5.
Fundamentally I'd day Price is the best in the league.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Semantics? No.

You have the best team in the league. Hedman is a Norris nominee this year and was last year's Smythe winner. This is his fifth straight nomination and he's won it once. He's the best in the league.

Kucherov is a Hart/Pearson winner. Stamkos is a Richard winner... Your team is the reigning cup champion. This is not a semantical argument. But you do you.

Mtl has a hart winner in Perry, norris contender in Weber. Cup winner in Staal

Tampa is very beatable by other cup contenders like col or vgk esp when PP opp dries up. Hardly as stacked as last yr

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I watched Roy’s entire career.

Changes nothing in regards to Vasi. He’s on the best team in the league with the best defenseman to go with it. Put Lundqvist or Price or Hellebuyck on those clubs and they’re winning cups as well.

yeah a stacked team can win cups with even mediocre but competent goaltending look at Osgood or Niemi.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
cool cool cool.

Just making sure you were saying that you believe Vasilevsky is on the same level as Hasek and his 6 Vezinas, 2 Harts, 2 Pearsons and 1998 Olympic Gold medal performance.

*backing away slowly*

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
coeven l cool cool.

Just making sure you were saying that you believe Vasilevsky is on the same level as Hasek and his 6 Vezinas, 2 Harts, 2 Pearsons and 1998 Olympic Gold medal performance.

*backing away slowly*

When you put it that way no. Hasek has the greatest peak of any goaltender ever.

But if Hasek had today's training and youth I'd take Vasy to start a franchise, 10 year contract. If both are 22

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Every stanley cup winner needs competent goaltending.

Go back as far as you can and look at the Stanley Cup winning goaltenders. I bet you won't be able to say that any of those goalies were trash in that given year.

You don't need star goatending. If you have it, it's a luxury.

But if you have sub par goaltending, you stand no chance.
anti niemi wasn't a great example of great goaltending.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Mtl has a hart winner in Perry, norris contender in Weber. Cup winner in Staal

Tampa is very beatable by other cup contenders like col or vgk esp when PP opp dries up. Hardly as stacked as last yr

old man perry, old man weber and old man staal.

ignoring the fact that all THREE of these players are on the downside of their careers ( it might be the end of their career for one of them, staal) is what we like to call transparently disingenuous. what they did in the past, isnt applicable any longer.

Reactions: Joey Banana

BlueAzN

Jan 3, 2009
In South Carolina
Franchise Goatlenders are game changing but there's two issues with them that will always make them lower draft choices than skaters.

1. The biggest issue is that Goatlenders take longer to develop and are often ready to carry the load when they are 22 at the earliest normally.
2. Success in the playoffs is often determined by who's hottest in net and not by the long run which sucks because hockey has only one position in play for Goatlenders but you get 18 skaters to roll out there which means 18 chances for some guys to get hot. With goatlenders it's all or nothing.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
The overlooking of the importance of a having a proven, solid starter has been the demise of many a team. Take the Canes, for example.

The tried Darling. They tried Mrazek. Now it looks like they are going with Ned next year, despite him having a very, very small sample size.

The strange strategy of repeatedly going for Cup runs with unproven/inconsistent goalies is very baffling.

Reactions: I am toxic

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
If I build my team the right way up front (that includes the coaching and the whole process in building the team including practicing, chemistry, etc., not just putting rosters together), I don't need to draft a goaltender in the first round. You can get a good enough goalie back there to get the job done.
And how many years has the OP been waiting to make this thread? Seems like to me that maybe the multiple years that this scenario didn't happen is the way to go.

(And no, Vasy is not as good as Hasek and Roy. :facepalm: )

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Goalie is an overrated position. Aside from Jarry, no goalie sunk a team

Cam Talbot and Jake Allen, and Anton Khudobin last year can easily win you a cup and provide solid goaltending

-

Vasy is still generational G

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad