The utter disgrace of the prioty the org has put on goaltending...

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
100% agree with this.

Similar to your observation was the 2nd round of 2013 Draft. MacT traded down mutiple times from 37 all the way down to 56 to take Marco Roy because he didn't get Fucale.

He passed on Tristan Jarry (WHL Champion, Memorial Cup winner), Philippe Desrosiers (Top QMJHL goalie in his draft year) & Eric Comrie (Top WHL goalie).

At the end of the 2013 draft, the oilers took 10 players. None of them were goalies.

Critical error imo even though the Oilers did well with most of their picks in 2013.

Exactly. Jarry or Comrie would've looked pretty good right about now. You could keep doing this exercise for a long time. In the 3rd round of 2012 we drafted Jujhar Khaira. A guy with bottom-six upside at best when there was good goalies available like Jon Gillies and Matt Murray among others.

OutForMilk

Feb 25, 2010
location, location
Reports were that EDM was one of the teams he wanted to go to since they were his favorite team growing up. VAN just wanted to get his contract off the books.

I don't know if I believe that without seeing the reports. Also, remembering the price asked for by Gillis when they traded Schneider, ie much higher than they actually traded him for, I would assume Gillis would have done the same in Luongo's case.

OutForMilk

Feb 25, 2010
location, location
Exactly. Jarry or Comrie would've looked pretty good right about now. You could keep doing this exercise for a long time. In the 3rd round of 2012 we drafted Jujhar Khaira. A guy with bottom-six upside at best when there was good goalies available like Jon Gillies and Matt Murray among others.

Do any of them look better than Brossoit does right now? I don't see any fault with how Edm has done things in that regard. Its the pro level goaltending that has massively failed them.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
So basically a couple teams have had success the rest yuck

You have to give yourself a chance with the most import position on a team. When your team is dead last in that metric with one 3rd rounder while every other team in the league those that have tenders or not make more of an investment you get what you deserve your 5th and 7th rounders don't pan out and you are left with your tail in the wind.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Do any of them look better than Brossoit does right now? I don't see any fault with how Edm has done things in that regard. Its the pro level goaltending that has massively failed them.

He is our one and only prospect at all and we had to trade for him as lowly regarded 6th rounder. Want to know ewhere the pro goalies come from? Not the stork.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don't know if I believe that without seeing the reports. Also, remembering the price asked for by Gillis when they traded Schneider, ie much higher than they actually traded him for, I would assume Gillis would have done the same in Luongo's case.

I was looking up some old articles. Edmonton made an offer, Luongo said he would waive for Edmonton, Vancouver did not want to trade with a division rival. I guess that clears up that.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Defense and Goaltending
Oilers are 14th in sv%
26th in GAA
yet 8th least in shots against

Offense
Oilers are 16th in GF
are 3rd in S%
are 17th in shots for

Based on this and what I see during the game, I suspect we have an issue at Defense - if our Defense improves we will spend more time in the opponents zone and generate more shots and opportunities - given our forwards are effective scorers it should translate into better offense immediately.

Goaltending is making the saves and showing middle of the pack numbers, and lord knows the Oilers give up high quality scoring chance, so its really just about reducing the opportunities against and in turn increasing the opportunities for lol

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Thing is, it's not necessarily about taking a goalie early. It's about making good bets when they present themselves, something this team hasn't been doing. In the 2014 draft finnish goalie Ville Husso was still available when our 4th round pick rolled around. I wanted him badly but instead we opted to go for William Lagesson, another LHD who projects as a bottom-pairing d-man. Why would you do that? We already had a lot of LHD prospects with limited upside and pretty much no good goaltending prospects. Makes no sense to me. Even if they hadn't opted for Husso, fellow finn Kaapo Kähkönen was also available.

Stu MacGregor is your answer here, our ex-head amateur scout who sometimes couldn't see the forest for the trees! and if i recall correctly at the time, the Oilers wanted a taller goalie, like 6'4" + and both Husso and Kahkonen are listed at around 6'1".

There are many good goalies available every year but for some reason this team just doesn't know how to get one, or even develop one for that matter. Seems to me we need to bring in some legit goalie coaches and goalie scouts even.

or replace the old way of thinking by replacing the old boys club management, bad coaches with competent ones, and bad amateur and pro scouts with good ones. it will be interesting to see who we end up picking with the picks we have left at this years draft when we are done inevitably trading most of our high picks....AGAIN !! :shakehead

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We got our lucky goalie pick when we drafted Dubnyk but decided to piss him away.

It was time for him to go. His own teammates had no confidence left in him and the fans wanted him out as well. There were very few people that wanted to keep him. His confidence was shot and he always let in bad goals. It's actually quite amazing that he was able to revive his career.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
It was time for him to go. His own teammates had no confidence left in him and the fans wanted him out as well. There were very few people that wanted to keep him. His confidence was shot and he always let in bad goals. It's actually quite amazing that he was able to revive his career.

I've heard rumors of off-ice turmoil going on his life during that horrid stint. Coupled with MacT publicly stating he didn't think he was a starter I think he was mentally toast at that point. Just disappointed the org gave up him so quickly after years of good performance.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Reports were that EDM was one of the teams he wanted to go to since they were his favorite team growing up. VAN just wanted to get his contract off the books.

I read/heard about this too. Lou idolized Grant Fuhr growing up...but as we all know...inter-divisional trades tend to hike the cost.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I remember Tyler Bunz broke out for me in a huge way in NHL 12.
He had like 11 shutouts and a ridiculous save percentage one season.
Then I dealt him for Pietrangelo at the deadline.
Real life sucks.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I've heard rumors of off-ice turmoil going on his life during that horrid stint. Coupled with MacT publicly stating he didn't think he was a starter I think he was mentally toast at that point. Just disappointed the org gave up him so quickly after years of good performance.

That's pushing it.

2009-10 he played his way onto the team. Not great stats, but ok.

2010-11 to 2012-13 were all so-so seasons. Doobie earned that softie a game reputation. He did have some decent stretches, but nothing long-term. Opinion was split on him heading into 2013-14.

Then the bottom fell out for Dubnyk. The end of Eakins' horrific reign and noticeable lapses in concentration. Dubnyk was shipped to Nashville. Things didn't work out in Nashville. He never made it off the farm for the Habs, even though they had a third stringer on the bench at one point. It looked like he was out of the league. Then came that contract with Arizona and the trade to Minnesota.

Dubnyk figured something out that he never could with the Oilers. The Oilers gave Dubnyk ample opportunity to be the starter.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Not that I disagree about the Oilers drafting a goaltender now and then. That would be nice I guess.
Doesn't matter who is in net though if you are going to keep running a defense that has four guys on it who wouldn't even touch the ice on any other NHL team.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
He is our one and only prospect at all and we had to trade for him as lowly regarded 6th rounder. Want to know ewhere the pro goalies come from? Not the stork.

Why does it matter that he was a 6th rounder?

Your whole point is that for years the Oilers don't focus enough on acquiring goaltenders.

They went out and acquired a blue-chop goalie prospect, and you're including the 6th round only because this acquisition derails a bit of your argument. It's irrelevant.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Why does it matter that he was a 6th rounder?

Your whole point is that for years the Oilers don't focus enough on acquiring goaltenders.

They went out and acquired a blue-chop goalie prospect, and you're including the 6th round only because this acquisition derails a bit of your argument. It's irrelevant.

We traded Smid for Broissoit.

Then we used the free cap space to sign Ference.

#progress

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

#progress

actually Ference was already signed at that point. There was a period where we had both of them.

Besides, Ference doesn't hurt us. To us, having a goalie prospect like Brossoit is so much more important than cap space. In three years, it will be a different story.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Defense and Goaltending
Oilers are 14th in sv%
26th in GAA

Offense
Oilers are 16th in GF
are 3rd in S%
are 17th in shots for

Based on this and what I see during the game, I suspect we have an issue at Defense - if our Defense improves we will spend more time in the opponents zone and generate more shots and opportunities - given our forwards are effective scorers it should translate into better offense immediately.

Goaltending is making the saves and showing middle of the pack numbers, and lord knows the Oilers give up high quality scoring chance, so its really just about reducing the opportunities against and in turn increasing the opportunities for lol

How are we 14th in SV%. that doesn't add up.

Yes, I believe we are 28th
http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/team/_/stat/scoring/sort/savePct

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

pfffffffffffffffffftttttttt!!

You have a way of stating the obvious Beerfish. Sheeeeeeeesh. It obviously stemmed from this....something most obvious to you as well....:D

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

#progress

Considering how bad Smid has been, I really don't see the point of this post. Broissoit was a need as a bunch of you have been whining about in this thread. So we move and overpaid guy who could barely play d on the worse team in the league for a decent goalie prospect and then the move gets called out?

Never change hfoil

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Defense and Goaltending
Oilers are 14th in sv%
26th in GAA

Offense
Oilers are 16th in GF
are 3rd in S%
are 17th in shots for

I am not interpreting the same thing from that data - where are you getting your goaltending numbers? Nilsson has a .906 % and Talbot an .890 % which is good for 49th and 61st out of a total of 69 goaltenders who have played this year. That is not "middle of the pack" numbers. Also, I have physically counted 10 bad goals against that had nothing to do with defense. That is not even counting the two against Carolina which may or may not be attributed to the goaltender.

Watching the rest of the league, every time has d lapses. Do we have more? Yes, I would agree to that. Disproportionately more? I'd argue not.

Nilsson has been inconsistent, Talbot bad.

Hate to bang the same drum over and over in every thread but until we are getting league average save %, I am not dumping on the defense. And we aren't giving up 2 on 1's and breakaways aplenty, so the "quality of shots" argument is lost on me as well.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
That's pushing it.

2009-10 he played his way onto the team. Not great stats, but ok.

2010-11 to 2012-13 were all so-so seasons. Doobie earned that softie a game reputation. He did have some decent stretches, but nothing long-term. Opinion was split on him heading into 2013-14.

Then the bottom fell out for Dubnyk. The end of Eakins' horrific reign and noticeable lapses in concentration. Dubnyk was shipped to Nashville. Things didn't work out in Nashville. He never made it off the farm for the Habs, even though they had a third stringer on the bench at one point. It looked like he was out of the league. Then came that contract with Arizona and the trade to Minnesota.

Dubnyk figured something out that he never could with the Oilers. The Oilers gave Dubnyk ample opportunity to be the starter.

2012-13 was a solid season for Dubnyk. He did not have a poor reputation from outside the fan base, it was just nuanced. "He's a good young goaltender who could be a good starter but he's not the next superstar like some fanboys are suggesting"

He had a poor start to the season and was dumped.

While I can agree with you that Dubnyk was never going to find his game while still an Oiler. , it might not have gotten to that point without management and coaching failing to support him either.

The guy clearly has the talent to be an NHL goaltender, so why werent the Oilers able to get him there?

Why did it get so bad that a good, talented guy wasn't able to reach his potential. Why did he find the tools in Phoenix to focus himself? Why didn't the Oilers have that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad