The Utica Comets Thread XXIV - Calder Cup Playoffs Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Wow, a long time between games. I guess it makes sense with the distance to travel, this allows a nice transition and everybody to get set up so the best quality hockey can be served up on the ice. GO COMETS GO!

The AHL tries to schedule as many weekend games as possible which is the primary reason. The Comets will play game 3 on a Wednesday and then game 4 and 5 (if necessary) will be Friday and Saturday.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really starting to warm to Cory Conacher...just love how the guy plays with a edge despite his size.....I hope he gets a real long look from the 'Nucks in training camp next year, but I fear that this management group has a troubling habit of categorizing players and not keeping an open mind....how else to explain Sanguinetti?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Really starting to warm to Cory Conacher...just love how the guy plays with a edge despite his size.....I hope he gets a real long look from the 'Nucks in training camp next year, but I fear that this management group has a troubling habit of categorizing players and not keeping an open mind....how else to explain Sanguinetti?

"how else to explain Sanguinetti?"

You don't.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Some NHL team out there is going to sign Sanguinetti to one-year, one-way contract at something just above the league minimum and is going to very happy they did.:handclap:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Hopefully Kenins is healthy enough to join the Comets too. Would be great for them to have him in the playoffs.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Really itchy for the next comets game. Need something positive to end the year on, a comets run would be just that.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Anyone wanna project the Comets' lineup once Baertschi is back with Utica? Guessing:

Baertschi - O'Reilly - Grenier
Shinkaruk - Friesen - Conacher
Gaunce - Hamilton - DeFazio
Archibald - Zalewski - Jensen

Andersson - Sanguinetti
Corrado - Biega
Huskins - Clendenning

Markstrom
Eriksson

This isn't even including Kenins who's injured right now though obviously he'd be a big boost to them if he can come back.

kriteris

Nov 8, 2007
According to Latvian Hockey Federations twitter page,Kenins has announced that he'll be recalled to Utica and wont be able to help Latvian national team in World Championships

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Anyone wanna project the Comets' lineup once Baertschi is back with Utica? Guessing:

Baertschi - O'Reilly - Grenier
Shinkaruk - Friesen - Conacher
Gaunce - Hamilton - DeFazio
Archibald - Zalewski - Jensen

Andersson - Sanguinetti
Corrado - Biega
Huskins - Clendenning

Markstrom
Eriksson

This isn't even including Kenins who's injured right now though obviously he'd be a big boost to them if he can come back.

The way that Shinkaruk has been playing I don't see Green breaking up the line of:

Shinkaruk - O'Reilly - Grenier

Before Baertschi was called up this line looked good:

Baertschi - Freisen - Conacher

The next six is hard to tell. Archibald - Zalewski - DeFazio were together for a while and usually had the assignment of shutting down the opposition first line. But the first two games in Chicago Green split this line up.

van22

May 25, 2014
The Blues have reassigned Ty Rattie to the Wolves. It's going to be fun to see a Sven vs Rattie match-up. These two had insane chemistry on the Winterhawks and were also very close off the ice - they even had the same billet family.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
According to Latvian Hockey Federations twitter page,Kenins has announced that he'll be recalled to Utica and wont be able to help Latvian national team in World Championships

Thanks for the news, sorry we stole the mightiest of Latvians :(

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
So, it looks like Virtanen could be available for Utica in the next week or so, and considering his status as the franchise's most recent first rounder, I would hope that he'd be inserted into the lineup without delay. If so, where does everyone, particularly the Uticans among us, think he slots in?

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
So, it looks like Virtanen could be available for Utica in the next week or so, and considering his status as the franchise's most recent first rounder, I would hope that he'd be inserted into the lineup without delay. If so, where does everyone, particularly the Uticans among us, think he slots in?

Unlikely to see any action at this point. Playing against men and playing against teenagers is a big jump for any player, let alone being thrown right into the fray in the Calder cup playoffs.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

Really really hard to tell. First priority is to win two of the three next games or the Comets season ends this weekend. If they accomplish that and Virtanen is made available I don't see Green inserting him right into the lineup without a few practices first - if he gets inserted at all. IMHO it all depends on the timing. Green isn't the type of coach that will insert rookies into the lineup without multiple practices first.

But like I said the Comets have to win two more games or it doesn't matter anyway. I think the Comets will advance but Chicago is no push over and shouldn't be taken lightly.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Really really hard to tell. First priority is to win two of the three next games or the Comets season ends this weekend. If they accomplish that and Virtanen is made available I don't see Green inserting him right into the lineup without a few practices first - if he gets inserted at all. IMHO it all depends on the timing. Green isn't the type of coach that will insert rookies into the lineup without multiple practices first.

But like I said the Comets have to win two more games or it doesn't matter anyway. I think the Comets will advance but Chicago is no push over and shouldn't be taken lightly.

So, if the Comets get in, would the second round start next week?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Unlikely to see any action at this point. Playing against men and playing against teenagers is a big jump for any player, let alone being thrown right into the fray in the Calder cup playoffs.

Likely the case, but even coming up and practicing with the team and being with them could be beneficial for him.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
So, it looks like Virtanen could be available for Utica in the next week or so, and considering his status as the franchise's most recent first rounder, I would hope that he'd be inserted into the lineup without delay.
There is zero percent chance that a junior player without a minute of pro experience and virtually no practice time with the new team gets slotted in over regulars in a playoff series at all, let alone without delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad