The Upcoming Schedule and Predictions

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Assuming we are "trying" to make the playoffs and not taking a run at the draft lottery...

Here are my predictions for the remaining schedule. Please add yours...

March 5th vs. Calgary - W
March 7th vs. Philly - W
March 8th vs. Detroit - OTL
March 10th @ Ottawa - W
March 12th vs. TB - L
March 14th @ Pittsburgh - OTL
March 15th @ Washington - L
March 17th vs. Buffalo - W
March 19th @ Ottawa - OTL
March 21st @ Florida - L
March 22nd @ TB - W
March 26th vs. Anaheim - L
March 28th vs. NYR - OTL
March 29th @ Carolina - W
March 31st vs. Florida - W
April 2nd @ Detroit - L
April 4th vs. Toronto - W
April 8th @ Washington - L
April 9th @ Florida - W
April 11th @ TB - L

5-2-2 at home
4-5-2 on the road

22 points in 20 games for a final total of 93 points. I believe we have the tiebreaker over all chasing teams (Flo, Ott, Philly).

Does it get us in?

Arthur*

It really comes down to the three Boston-Florida games. 6 points up for grabs, whoever gets the majority of them gets that spot. Ottawa's not going to make a run and Philly sold off their chances today, they're not in the race.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
We have 9 at home, florida has 12?

I like the panthers odds quite a bit - but the 3 games are pivotal.

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Florida also plays the Habs 3x...so the Habs can almost pick their poison - and I have a feeling they choose the Panthers.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
March 7th vs. Philly - W
March 8th vs. Detroit - L
March 10th @ Ottawa - L
March 12th vs. TB - W
March 19th @ Ottawa - W
March 21st @ Florida - L
March 22nd @ TB - L
March 28th vs. NYR - W
March 31st vs. Florida - OTL
April 2nd @ Detroit - OTL
April 9th @ Florida - L
April 11th @ TB - L

6-2-1 at home
2-7-2 on the road

88 points and I don't think we make the playoffs. I think Florida takes that last spot.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
It very much will come down to those 3 Florida games... Also, don't forget the Sens have 3 games in hand on the Panthers. If they win all 3, they'll have 70 points. They're just as much of a threat. Flyers aren't out of it either, although they sold some big pieces today.

The three against Florida and the two against Ottawa are MUST wins. Really need to keep this winning streak going... Stay ahead of the pack while we still can. You want to end the race in the next 2 or so weeks.

I know a lot of you aren't happy with the deadline deals but I am. We didn't overspend on some rentals that weren't going to make much of a difference anyway. Would have been great to get Zidlicky or Petry but what are you going to do. If we do miss the playoffs, we have a long summer to regroup, new management, a high draft pick, and guys like Connolly fit into our future. We didn't do anything stupid today. And that's a win in itself. Still plenty of hope left for the playoffs, though. Gotta be strong down the stretch.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
March 5th vs. Calgary - L
March 7th vs. Philly - OTL
March 10th @ Ottawa - W
March 12th vs. TB - L
March 14th @ Pittsburgh - L
March 15th @ Washington - W
March 19th @ Ottawa - W
March 21st @ Florida - W
March 22nd @ TB - W
March 28th vs. NYR - OTL
April 2nd @ Detroit - L
April 8th @ Washington - OTL
April 9th @ Florida - L
April 11th @ TB - L

9-8-3

92 pts - 9th place

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
With the move the Flyers made I don't see them surging.

I also don't really think Ottawa catches up.

I think the key is the three games we have against Florida. Whoever wins 2 of those three IMO takes the 8th spot.

Also I think the Habs would rather play us. We match up horribly with the Habs and the Habs have figured out how to beat Claude's system but Claude hasn't figured out how to counter their counter. Means we lose but might win a game or two but Indont see this team that lost 4 straight to the Habs this season winning 4 in a 7 game series.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
March 7th vs. Philly - W
March 10th @ Ottawa - OTL
March 12th vs. TB - L
March 15th @ Washington - OTL
March 19th @ Ottawa - W
March 21st @ Florida - L
March 22nd @ TB - L
March 26th vs. Anaheim - W
March 28th vs. NYR - OTL
March 31st vs. Florida - L
April 2nd @ Detroit - L
April 8th @ Washington - W
April 9th @ Florida - W
April 11th @ TB - L

9-8-3, 21 points earned, 92 points total. 8th place.

Unfortunately, despite my hopes, it looks like we're stuck in the Atlantic and don't get to cross over into the Metro - I'm assuming the Habs don't have ridiculously tough schedule ahead. I did check, and they only have 9 games at the Belle Center, and 13 games away, so there's a faint glimmer of hope.

But if we face the Habs, I say we lose 1-4 in the first round. If it's the Rangers, it goes 7 games, and I have no clue who wins.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Are you afraid of the Panthers? :laugh:

Pal, we're not in a position where we can be laughing at the teams chasing us.

Yeah, they're the Florida Panthers, but they're hot on our ****ing heels right now and we have THREE games head-to-head with them.

They are a dangerous team, and our position is FAR from secure. If the Bruins themselves have that ":laugh::laugh::laugh: It's just the Pantherz!!1!" then they deserve to miss the playoffs.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Head to head isn't one of the top tiebreakers.

True. If we tie the Panthers in points, the next tie breaker is ROW, where we are currently ahead by 7 games. If we nosedive enough to blow that lead in ROW, then we're not tying the Panthers in points to begin with. So, in terms of practicality, all we need to do is tie the Panthers in points to win.

However, the fact that we still have 3 games against the Panthers head-to-head IS significant. Not for the tiebreaker, but because each of those games count "twice" in the race for eighth - as a win for the winner, and as a loss for the loser. These are games that we not only want to win...we also want to make sure Florida doesn't get the stray point in them.

That said, in my analysis that balances optimism (we beat the Ducks because it's smack dab in the middle of their 5 game road trip and is after our rest time) with pessimism (two losses against Florida and some OTL to Ottawa and Washington), I managed to get to 92 points, which I think will be close to the magic number. That said, if Florida DOES beat us in those games, the magic number probably does go up.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
There's no way we have a tiebreaker over FLA we play them head-to-head three more times.

ROW is the 1st tiebreaker and there is basically no way Florida, Ottawa or Philly can catch us in that so all we have do to is tie any of those teams in points and we will make the playoffs

I think the Bruins finish the year 12-4-4

For a record of 43-26-13 for 99 points

and finished atleast 6 points ahead of 9th place

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
Assuming we are "trying" to make the playoffs and not taking a run at the draft lottery...

Here are my predictions for the remaining schedule. Please add yours...

March 7th vs. Philly - W
March 8th vs. Detroit - OTL
March 10th @ Ottawa - W
March 12th vs. TB - L
March 19th @ Ottawa - OTL
March 21st @ Florida - L
March 22nd @ TB - W
March 28th vs. NYR - OTL
April 2nd @ Detroit - L
April 9th @ Florida - W
April 11th @ TB - L

5-2-2 at home
4-5-2 on the road

22 points in 20 games for a final total of 93 points. I believe we have the tiebreaker over all chasing teams (Flo, Ott, Philly).

Does it get us in?

I think we really need to win the next 3 games at home and take at least 2/3 from the Panthers. If we can do that I like our chances. If we stumble in the next few games and Florida keeps on winning, I think that momentum will turn the tide and they will over take us and beat us in the 3 games that count. Next 3 games are vital.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Panthers have the hardest remaining schedule in the Eastern Conference and the 5th hardest schedule in the league to finish the year as well

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
March 7th vs. Philly - OTL
March 8th vs. Detroit - W
March 10th @ Ottawa - OTL
March 12th vs. TB - W
March 15th @ Washington - W
March 19th @ Ottawa - W
March 21st @ Florida - W
March 22nd @ TB - L
March 26th vs. Anaheim - W
March 28th vs. NYR - OTL
April 2nd @ Detroit - L
April 8th @ Washington - W
April 9th @ Florida - OTL
April 11th @ TB - L

5Minutes4Fighting

Light the Lamp!
Apr 9, 2010
Northern NJ
Lets not lose sight of Ottawa, they're gonna be a challenge too.

Ottawa is the bigger worry. They have games in hand and are a better team than Florida.

OTT has scored more goals than FL, given up fewer goals than FL, more ROW than FL. (FL has 6 SO wins) I don't put much credence in the "pity points" or shootout wins when judging who the better teams are.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Maybe, just maybe, they stumble into the playoffs and then get shredded.

I thought many of them have been complacent for awhile. Now they can really sit back and see the sites.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Florida also plays the Habs 3x...so the Habs can almost pick their poison - and I have a feeling they choose the Panthers.

If you are the Montreal Canadiens and are so far in the mind of Tuuka Rask and the Bruins, why would you want to play anyone else. You are virtually assured a series win over Boston.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins have had a quirky and unbalanced schedule all year. How on earth can 8 of our last 11 road games be in 4 buildings? (Washington, Ottawa, Florida and Tampa)

The only 'easy' road game on paper is Carolina as the other 2 are at Pittsburgh and Detroit. Brutal.

Part of the reason is TD Garden is not available in the last week of the season as the NCAA takes over the building for the Frozen Four.

The one silver lining is IF they survive and make it it they will be battle tested and could knock out the #1 seed. While it is unlikely we can win the Cup this year if they could knock Montreal out it would salvage this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad