The unraveling of Tuukka Rask

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
Rask is tied for 1st career and not close for a single season sv% as far as I can see
Career numbers are irrelevant to my point, the only numbers that are relevant are his numbers while making 7 million on the cap. I was fine with Rask when he wasn't making 7 million. I don't think any goalie in the modern NHL is worth 7 million because of the nature of the position and how it's played. That money is better spent elsewhere on the cap because the gap between good enough, and the "best" in the modern NHL is not worth the difference in salary. But given Rask's numbers over the past 4 years, I don't see how you could argue that he has been statistically one of the best, because he hasn't. If you missed them, here are his numbers since he signed his 7mil cap hit contract. These are all being the highest, or 3rd highest paid goalie in the league:

2017-2018

15th in SV%
6th in GAA

2016-2017

17th in SV %
6th in GAA

2015-2016

27th in SV%
25th in GAA

2014-2015

10th in SV%
14th in GAA

2013-2014

2nd in SV%
4th in GAA

People can disagree with me, I don't care. But in no world can anyone justify calling the things I've said and the evidence I've provided to support my opinions, as "hysterical nonsense". The numbers support my argument many times over.

Gary Bets Man

"All bets are off."
Feb 4, 2015
Career numbers are irrelevant to my point, the only numbers that are relevant are his numbers while making 7 million on the cap. I was fine with Rask when he wasn't making 7 million. I don't think any goalie in the modern NHL is worth 7 million because of the nature of the position and how it's played. That money is better spent elsewhere on the cap because the gap between good enough, and the "best" in the modern NHL is not worth the difference in salary. But given Rask's numbers over the past 4 years, I don't see how you could argue that he has been statistically one of the best, because he hasn't. If you missed them, here are his numbers since he signed his 7mil cap hit contract. These are all being the highest, or 3rd highest paid goalie in the league:

2017-2018

15th in SV%
6th in GAA

2016-2017

17th in SV %
6th in GAA

2015-2016

27th in SV%
25th in GAA

2014-2015

10th in SV%
14th in GAA

2013-2014

2nd in SV%
4th in GAA

People can disagree with me, I don't care. But in no world can anyone justify calling the things I've said and the evidence I've provided to support my opinions, as "hysterical nonsense". The numbers support my argument many times over.
I was just posting on the comments that said he had some unbeaten record for highest sv%. By the end of his career he won't be close to that top spot IMO.

I agree with yu completely. And if I was going to spend that money on a goalie it wouldn't be Rask. But ANY goalie really will have good and bad years. Look at Price or Lunqvist. even if a goalie has a couple great years, you're still paying them that money when they stumble and the backup at 1mil outshines them.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
I would love if Rask went to Calgary. I think a lot of other team's fans would feel the same about him going to their team.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
I was just posting on the comments that said he had some unbeaten record for highest sv%. By the end of his career he won't be close to that top spot IMO.

I agree with yu completely. And if I was going to spend that money on a goalie it wouldn't be Rask. But ANY goalie really will have good and bad years. Look at Price or Lunqvist. even if a goalie has a couple great years, you're still paying them that money when they stumble and the backup at 1mil outshines them.
Lundqvist and Price aren't worth their contracts either. I'm ecstatic that the stupid Canadiens were stupid enough to give Price that ridiculous 10 million a year albatross. Couldn't have happened to a nicer franchise. LMAO

I would love if Rask went to Calgary. I think a lot of other team's fans would feel the same about him going to their team.
You are free to disagree with me if you'd like. I'm not in the business of silencing those who I disagree with, unlike some others on here.

I have provided more than enough evidence to show that my opinion should not be dismissed as "hysterical nonsense" though, even if someone disagrees with it. My criticisms are perfectly legitimate and warranted.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Beautiful timing for people bumping this thread. Bruins are without Chara/McAvoy/Bergeron/Backes and Rask struggles. Do you think having 3 of your best defensive players (and their top pairing) injured might have some connection to his struggles or is he just mentally weak still?

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Beautiful timing for people bumping this thread. Bruins are without Chara/McAvoy/Bergeron/Backes and Rask struggles. Do you think having 3 of your best defensive players (and their top pairing) injured might have some connection to his struggles or is he just mentally weak still?

That’s a reasonable excuse for an average goalie. Great goalies steal games regardless.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Nope. No real clue how he’s actually playing. I don’t watch much of the Bruins. Just pointing out a lame excuse when I see one.

no, youre just spouting the same tired bulls**t. you literally could not have been any more wrong if you tried.

He is the definition of stealing games since the injuries hit. Take your lumps and move on, dont try to make excuses for being wrong.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
This ranks up there as one of the more ridiculous threads on HF Boards.

This is primarily just a chance for Rask haters in Boston fanbase (and there are those, believe me) to moan and Bruins haters (there are those, believe me) to pour gas on that fire.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
This is the culture that has been created. I'm not allowed to criticize or state that my mind hasn't changed when things are going good (if only to remain consistent with my opinion and not be called a cherry picker later), so this is the only time I'm allowed to do so. Believe me I wish I could talk about my take at any time, that's what I thought the board was supposed to be about, but that's not the case. This is the environment that's been created.

To answer your question though,yes it has something to do with it but there were 2 very saveable goals he let up on a night where he let up five. I don't care to be honest, it's about the playoffs for me. But I'm using this as an opportunity to state that my opinion regarding 7million dollar+ goalies, because I'm not allowed to at any other time.

Also I've never said anything about Rask being mentally weak. If love to debate but we can't do that if you just invent arguments and takes that are not being given. Thank you in advance.

This ranks up there as one of the more ridiculous threads on HF Boards.

This is primarily just a chance for Rask haters in Boston fanbase (and there are those, believe me) to moan and Bruins haters (there are those, believe me) to pour gas on that fire.
So you disagree with the numbers I've provided?

Also my take isn't solely about Rask, it's about any goalie making 7 million on the cap. He's on my team so I use him as the specific example, partially because I watch every game he plays, and partially to give the necessary pushback to homers who can not accept any amount of criticism to their beloved team, no matter how much evidence you provide to support your opinion.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

2017-2018

15th in SV%
6th in GAA

2016-2017

17th in SV %
6th in GAA

2015-2016

27th in SV%
25th in GAA

2014-2015

10th in SV%
14th in GAA

2013-2014

2nd in SV%
4th in GAA

Goalie statistics are largely voodoo. Goalies numbers get worse when their teams get worse, that's a fact. Rask had an elite team early in his career which helped his numbers. His team struggled for a few years, and that is reflected in the stats as well.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Just wanted to post in this thread to give props to the OP for providing the data and supporting information.

Well done.

steierwrass

Nov 25, 2017
That’s a reasonable excuse for an average goalie. Great goalies steal games regardless.

Great goalies are consistent. They give chance for team pretty much every night. They might steal games sometimes, but no one really care about stealing the games. No one can do it often enough, it really matter.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
Goalie statistics are largely voodoo. Goalies numbers get worse when their teams get worse, that's a fact. Rask had an elite team early in his career which helped his numbers. His team struggled for a few years, and that is reflected in the stats as well.
Agreed and thank you for acknowledging that.

My issue is that when I bring up my criticisms of Rask (and any goalie making 7 million on the cap), the first and seemingly only defense of him is "well he has the best save percentage of all time".

So I then played the numbers game, and then suddenly those same people were like "well numbers don't matter". Which I pretty much agree with. When you average out statistics, it doesn't give you any context whatsoever to timing of goals or quality of goals scored, which is the issue with Rask specifically. So I compiled the numbers argument for the last 4 years of his 7 mil cap hit contract, and am using that as the defense against the people who's only defense is "he has the best sv% of all time".

They want to give him all of the credit for the good stuff, but none of the blame for any of the bad. No goalie is good enough to make up for deficiencies in front of him, so it's stupid to pay one like he is.

Also the argument of having an elite team around him influences the goalie's numbers significantly, is basically my entire point overall. The team around the goalie is more important than the goalie himself (aside from extreme cases good or bad). Therefore it's dumb to build from the goalie out. You can not win a Cup with bad goaltending, but you generally have a really hard time winning a Cup if your goalie is making 7m (or the equal percentage) on the cap. Those are facts. Hopefully this year is the exception to the rule.

Regardless, I've provided plenty of evidence to support my OPINION, legitimate evidence, so as not to be dismissed as "trolling" or "hysterical nonsense". People can disagree with me, I welcome that. That's what the site is (supposed to be) about. But anyone dismissing everything I'm saying as being "a hater" is void of credibility altogether. Especially Bruins fans who act like I'm a "Rask hater" when I've said the entire time that I don't think any goalie is worth 7 mil on the cap, not just Rask.

Great goalies are consistent. They give chance for team pretty much every night. They might steal games sometimes, but no one really care about stealing the games. No one can do it often enough, it really matter.
Agreed, which is why it's stupid to overpay a goaltender in the modern era. That money is better spent elsewhere on the cap. That's exactly my point.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Agreed, which is why it's stupid to overpay a goaltender in the modern era. That money is better spent elsewhere on the cap. That's exactly my point.

There was a post about the last 10 SC winning goalies last week or so. Basically the common theme was they were all on their ELC or weren't paid in the upper tier of their goaltending peers.
How people don't understand this concept is beyond me.

Saying a goalie shouldn't be paid an exhorbiant amount of money isn't the same as saying he isn't a good goalie. They aren't mutually exclusive statements

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
To answer your question though,yes it has something to do with it but there were 2 very saveable goals he let up on a night where he let up five. I don't care to be honest, it's about the playoffs for me. But I'm using this as an opportunity to state that my opinion regarding 7million dollar+ goalies, because I'm not allowed to at any other time.

Also I've never said anything about Rask being mentally weak. If love to debate but we can't do that if you just invent arguments and takes that are not being given. Thank you in advance.

So you disagree with the numbers I've provided?

Also my take isn't solely about Rask, it's about any goalie making 7 million on the cap. He's on my team so I use him as the specific example, partially because I watch every game he plays, and partially to give the necessary pushback to homers who can not accept any amount of criticism to their beloved team, no matter how much evidence you provide to support your opinion.

Nashville seems to be doing just fine with a $7M goalie?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad