The unraveling of Tuukka Rask

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Personally I can't believe how unhappy part of the Bruins fanbase is with Rask. And it's been always like that, even during his best years. I mean we are talking about a goalie who posts a .915 %SV on his worst years, has career %SV of .922 in regular season and .928 in the playoffs. It's not like the Bruins haven't been able to rely on him to be "good enough" at worst and excellent/best in the league at his best.

As for the contract side of things, I don't really care about that and that's a separate issue of whether he's a good goaltender or not.

Reactions: LAINEC

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
How many Cups do the Predators have with their 7 million dollar goalie?

How many cups does any team not named Pittsburgh or Chicago have recently...? They made it to the SCF on the back of Rinne and are again the best team in the West this season.

That's also ignoring that both LA/Pittsburgh were paying their staring (or even backup goalie) $6M.

Is the massive $1M in savings the reason they won the cup? Absolutely not.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
Very funny that this wasn't bumped after the TB shutout game but was bumped now.

Missing his top 2 D and elite selke 1c he gives 5 goals, at least 3 of which were deflected. better pile on now, filfthy vultures.
It's been made clear that I'm not allowed to post about this at any other time other than when things are going badly. Believe me, I'd love to be able to be consistent with my opinion throughout the year, but it's been made clear that that is not allowed on HFBoards. You can PM me if you'd like the details.

Personally I can't believe how unhappy part of the Bruins fanbase is with Rask. And it's been always like that, even during his best years. I mean we are talking about a goalie who posts a .915 %SV on his worst years, has career %SV of .922 in regular season and .928 in the playoffs. It's not like the Bruins haven't been able to rely on him to be "good enough" at worst and excellent/best in the league at his best.

As for the contract side of things, I don't really care about that and that's a separate issue of whether he's a good goaltender or not.
My take isn't a Rask-specific thing, I am using him as my main example because he's the only goalie who I watch every game of.

I agree that the contract side of things is a separate issue to whether he's a good goaltender or not. I think he's a very good goaltender. However my entire point is about the contract side of things. Then Bruins homers try to twist that into a "Rask hating" thing, or a "you don't think Rask is good" thing. It's not. So it seems as though we agree with each other.

How many cups does any team not named Pittsburgh or Chicago have recently...? They made it to the SCF on the back of Rinne and are again the best team in the West this season.

That's also ignoring that both LA/Pittsburgh were paying their staring (or even backup goalie) $6M.

Is the massive $1M in savings the reason they won the cup? Absolutely not.
It's not the reason they won the Cup, but the point remains that no team has won while paying their goalie 7million (or in LA's case, the equal percentage on the cap since the cap was lower but the percentage was still less than what the percentage of 7mil is on the current cap). LA is the closest a team has come to it but even they fall short. But even if we were to just give it to them, they'd be the exception to the rule and the point would still remain.

Also the fact that Pittsburgh won in spite of their goalie making 6 million (which again, is less than the number I'm saying anyway), is more of a point for my argument than it is the counter. Pittsburgh is also in the unique situation of having the 2 best players in the world, something that has rarely happened in the history of the game. So even if you were to give Pittsburgh the extra million for argument's sake, there's still that variable X factor that no other team is going to be able to replicate.

It's just not smart to build from the net out in the modern NHL. Does it automatically disqualify you from Cup contention? No. But it's not good asset management, either. Hopefully the Bruins prove me wrong and break through this year as the first ones to ever do it. I'd be happier than anyone. What people don't seem to realize, is that I make these criticisms because I care about the success of the team. I think it's in the best interest for the team to not pay a goalie 7 million. Luckily they're getting away with it now because of great drafting, we'll see how it shakes out in the playoffs but I think in a couple of years when these young guys are up for raises, if they don't have a Cup, they're going to wish they had an extra couple million to play around with.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
So what.......???

So, i guess that means he will be the best goalie in the playoffs. I feel better.
I know, lol.

And he's not even going to win the Vezina anyway, not even close. He had a great 2 months, other than that he's been just okay. I'm sure that there are some that think that me saying that makes me some kind of "hater". LOL

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
JFJ's master plan finally coming to fruition.
So what is this thread all about ?

Rask is good or bad?

My seats are second row aisle end Bruins defend first and third - 35 years now so I've seen a lot of Rask.

I've never been a goalie other than in the basement or driveway but I've coached a few and going by my limited knowledge on the position Rask is up there with the best I've ever watched but I admit hockey is my third favorite sport so maybe I'm not seeing what others do

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Rask is now 31-3-3 over the past 37 games, on an 11 game win streak currently, guessing he finishes as a finalist in the Vezina but Rinne takes it home.

Wow. Didn't realize he's been doing so great. Still elite goalie.

Reactions: Emerz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad