The Ultimate Podcast/Radio hitlist

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I sit here 24/7 caring for my handicap wife... its not so bad. I love the woman, and it's a joy to me to spend my life with her. Also, I get a ton of spare time with nothing to do so I put on a lot of hockey talk radio programming/and podcasts.

I was thinking I might be missing some great program... and I wonder if there are other fans here that would enjoy seeing our idea of what is the best programs to listen to in order to get entertained/informed on hockey, the NHL and the Bruins in particular.

Im going to just list a couple of the shows that are easy for anyone to listen to and will give you a good experience in a quick period of time.

TSN Montreal... The Habs Lunch... Habs Lunch
these guys are... like crazy emotional and will often be screaming during their show. When Montreal is losing, they tear into that team and thats fun for a bruin fan to listen to. Former Bruin Chris Nilan is one of the hosts and he will often talk about the old glory days of the Bruins

TSN Toronto... The Leafs Lunch... get the podcast from Iheart or Tunein… hosted by a chick that puts a chick spin on hockey, its kind of fun to listen to her planning their parade after 10 game and wondering which player will get to hoist the cup second after the captain passes it off. the show is balanced by some of the biggest heavy hitter insiders as the guests. Its different then the other shows because of the host... but different can be a refreshing breather

SPORTSNET Toronto... Hockey Central... I am looking forward to them firing/replacing 2-3 of the regular hosts here but Brian Burke is on this show a lot... say what you want about this guy, he is connected and has an old school owners/gm view of the game. If you want to know how the league feels about issues, this guy is a good flagpole.

630 CHED... Oilers Now... available in podcasts, but 630 ched has an archieve of every second of their programming for the weak called the audio vault... its super easy to listen. Host Bob Staufer is basically a pr man for the team and is fed a lot of 'inside info' which he delights in leaking. the show is heavily centered around the oilers but it has interesting guests like Elliot friedman and john Shannon during the week.

TSN Vancouver... Sekeras and Price... I listen through Iheart… these guys have some good chemistry... have some fun segments... are entertaining. I like cheering against Vancouver when things are going bad for the city/team. They still harbor a hateon for boston so bonus whenever boston is going well, theres a lot of talk about our team.

My 1 show I Listen to from Boston whenever its on... is the sports hub. It rarely gives me any info I dont already know, but I like hearing informed Bruin talk.

I suppose then my challange is... can any of you recommend good bruin insider shows... entertaining bruin shows?

I am also interested in podcasts that keep people up on breaking new... seems so many guys have recently started podcasts. I am annoyed at jeff marek so I have an issue with 31thoughts. I havent tried the new kyprios show with mclean but im a big fan of mclean so I will try to get around to it.

the lowdown with lowtide program out of Edmonton with hfboard alumi lowtide is often good... and the Gregor show also from Edmonton has jason studwick as a daily cohost and he can be a lot of fun to listen to

im over the overdrive... they are just too inside their insides... I dont really find their show informative but if you want to hear guys make up words to shortcut their conversations about guy crap, then they are clever that way.

I hope I will find some good suggestions in this thread... thanks

Reactions: Aeroforce

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
You might like PK Subban's. He definitely has the gift of gab, and is candid about his thoughts on the ice.

I don't care for his pop culture type material, but he is an engaging listen for hockey related things.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I’ve warmed up to Bruins Diehards pod w Court Lalonde as the host. Has had Dom on recently.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Best wishes to your wife.

There is really zero local hockey talk right now in terms of Boston until the season starts up again.

I like Bob Stauffer's show, even though he blocked me on twitter (I may have insinuated that he needs a hobby when he tweeted out potential Oiler line combos in middle of July, pre pandemic). He has great guests and decent around the league hockey talk.

Listening to Kyper and Maclean now, those guys are good together and they can criticize, which is good for listening.

Sirius/XM can be ok, I tend to listen on demand and choose the interviews I want to hear. Gord Stellick and Scott 'Baritone' Laughlin are decent. Player interviews are incredibly boring though.

Spittin Chiclets is the standard bearer at this point if you want to hear hilarious stories from retired players.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
id love to find some 'scheduled' hits with the various insiders...

love them or hate them... if you listen to a wide variety of insiders I think you sort through the noise and end up a bit more educated in what is actually going on

my top insiders I am trying to follow...
Elliot friedman {he does hits in Edmonton and Calgary I can usually find}
pierre lebrun {he is a tsn guy so I mostly listen to him out of Toronto}
chris Johnson {an underrated guy I feel... im still looking how to find regular hits from him}
Pierre McGuire {I know he has his distractors but hes on everyday on the Melnick show out of montreal}
John Shannon {has the broadcaster background that puts a different spin on things}
Brian Burke {hes the easiest for me to find... does the western Canada cities and then his daily show in Toronto}

I like doug McLean but until recently I had no idea where he had gone to
Ray Ferraro seems overrated to me and too palsy with the hosts... but I end up hearing him a few times a week
Darren dregor has really seemed to be slumping the past year... hope he can get his game back
bob McKenzie seems to have retired from his dependable hits and now is a hear and there guy

if there was a place I could just get these guys hits isolated without all the filler crap around them in the shows... id be so much happier

who am I missing for top insiders you like? who are the guys that make the rounds down in the usa these days? does milbury still do a lot of hits? I am not too impressed with the collection of boston team reporters when I hear them. honestly, I think theres 50 posters here that are as tuned in/better understanding of the team than the group of boston's daily reports show me.

am I missing someone?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad