The Truth

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I ripped Voracek in past for his playoff performances and this year he was much better. In this case glad I was proved wrong.

I think Jake would be great in the Western Conference or on a Columbus even the Habs. He's a great player that needs to be on a faster team with strong leadership. He's a cheap man's Hossa imo. IN Philly he's looked upon to lead the team and that's just not the right role for him imo (especially now). He ends up trying too hard. Will see what happens but he played really good during playoffs but not great. Similar to G imo. Both were really good but for their salaries and roles on the team they weren't able to deliver what the team needed. Maybe depth is better next year so this type of performance is good enough but if its not were going to have same or worse result.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
G played well even if he didn’t score. But he was putting up big points a decade ago in the playoffs. It’s time for others to take over. TK is the biggest disappointment here. This was his playoffs to get that going and he didn’t score a single goal. We have guys coming like Farabee, Frost, Lindblom, Patrick plus G, Voracek, TK, Hayes, NAK, Raffl, Laughton. That’s a hell of a group there that can all play and contribute in a lot of ways. But Fletcher hasn’t really done anything long term since being here outside of some contracts. You would think he’s going to put his stamp on the team and there are guys to be had out there. Plus I wouldn’t mind being surprised at an outcome of a game for once. I shouldn’t know a game is going to end 3-0 or 4-0, 14 minutes into a game. I’d like to add some dynamic pieces.

Swapping JVR and Gaudreau would be a good start. JG wouldn’t have to be as much of a go to guy here and I think he would do better in the playoffs in the East than the west. I saw something pretty cheap for him like JVR, Laughton and a first. But I can’t see that. A fast player like that would have a big impact on this team since we are lacking so much of it.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
G played well even if he didn’t score. But he was putting up big points a decade ago in the playoffs. It’s time for others to take over. TK is the biggest disappointment here. This was his playoffs to get that going and he didn’t score a single goal. We have guys coming like Farabee, Frost, Lindblom, Patrick plus G, Voracek, TK, Hayes, NAK, Raffl, Laughton. That’s a hell of a group there that can all play and contribute in a lot of ways. But Fletcher hasn’t really done anything long term since being here outside of some contracts. You would think he’s going to put his stamp on the team and there are guys to be had out there. Plus I wouldn’t mind being surprised at an outcome of a game for once. I shouldn’t know a game is going to end 3-0 or 4-0, 14 minutes into a game. I’d like to add some dynamic pieces.

Swapping JVR and Gaudreau would be a good start. JG wouldn’t have to be as much of a go to guy here and I think he would do better in the playoffs in the East than the west. I saw something pretty cheap for him like JVR, Laughton and a first. But I can’t see that. A fast player like that would have a big impact on this team since we are lacking so much of it.
1) It is possible Johnny is out so Calgary can make salary room for Hall. It that is the case Jersey is the leader over us due to salary cap room and picks.

2)No team is going to give up a 30 goal guy for JVR 1 and Laughton with one year left. One of Frost, Farabee, Myers, Sanheim, or York have to be in the trade. And if your response is BLEEP no I am not trading any of them I get it.

The Max Pac trade back in the day was a high 2, an overpriced vet (Tatar) and a mid first pick (Suzuki). Would you trade JVR, York, and Ratcliffe for Johnny? Fletch may have cost us draft pick collateral, but he didn't wreck anything. This is the offseason where Fletch could solve or wreck things.

Reactions: TheKingPin

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I also don’t expect them to be big players in FA unless JVR can be moved. Alot hinges on Patrick and his status
even without patrick I expect, and hope in some ways, that we aren't big players. There aren't may guys that I want in FA, we don't have a ton of cap space, and we have young players needing bigger roles.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
2017 draft really killed you guys. Pettersson as your franchise center going firward or a top pairing of Provorov-Makar would have you guys set.

Some solid pieces but no true game breakers. Need those elite players to contend for the cup.
Just bad luck really. Patrick was the consensus #2 pick. There was risk because he was injured his draft season but the kid was off the charts at 17 yrs old. Heiskanen, Makar (playing tier two and people saw elite potential but he played easy opponents) and Pettersson (so skinny) were not considered to be anywhere close to the types of players they've turned out to be. All the experts said it was a weak draft after the top 2 and the top 2 likely not elite players (Patrick and Hischier) but definitely top line forwards (with Patrick having upside to be an elite 1C but scouts were unsure because he hadn't played a lot that year and didn't play in WJC vs elite talent). Sadly the injuries derailed him (so far) and those other 3 are impact/elite players. Just typical Flyer luck as most on this board can attest to. When we expect something great from our high picks it rarely happens when we don't they end up turning out to be decent

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
1) It is possible Johnny is out so Calgary can make salary room for Hall. It that is the case Jersey is the leader over us due to salary cap room and picks.

2)No team is going to give up a 30 goal guy for JVR 1 and Laughton with one year left. One of Frost, Farabee, Myers, Sanheim, or York have to be in the trade. And if your response is BLEEP no I am not trading any of them I get it.

The Max Pac trade back in the day was a high 2, an overpriced vet (Tatar) and a mid first pick (Suzuki). Would you trade JVR, York, and Ratcliffe for Johnny? Fletch may have cost us draft pick collateral, but he didn't wreck anything. This is the offseason where Fletch could solve or wreck things.
Agree 100% with that assessment. This off season is so huge for Flyers. I'm hoping Fletcher canmake this team better short and long run. BTW I would move JVR & York for JG but doubt Calgary would do that. Might get Voracek (or G) + for Johnny hockey

Reactions: Flyer lurker

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
At least one if not multiple years away. IF there is a minor league next year, I do wonder if Zamula could help second half of the year.
Zamula is going to be really really good imo. Kid has size, skill and jam. York probably take a little longer reminds me of a Morgan Reilly/ Leetch type dman. Need to see how he can compete with NHL forwards in his own end. If he can kid is going to be real good as well. Great patience, high IQ and solid stickwork for a dman

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
They don't need significant changes. Let Braun, Pitlick, Grant, and Thompson walk, and replace them with young players. The only UFA I'd bring back is Elliott and at a discount. The established young guys need to continue to get better. If there is anything they need to do it's to find a way to get more speed into the lineup. They are stuck with JVR for at least another year, and Giroux for two more.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Don't want Gaudreau unless he's available for free.

Voracek and Giroux are not "great," Barzal is great, the difference is glaring.

Flyers just need to be patient, they don't have an elite player unless Patrick gets healthy, but they have a chance to go four lines and a top four defensemen group deep for a long time. Which fits AV, because he won in NY with a team without an elite forward and other than McDonagh, dreck on defense. Rotating four lines may make fans gnash their teeth, but if you don't have a Barzal or Crosby, it's the way to win - just have to have four lines worthy of ice time.

Reactions: Crescent Street

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
2017 draft really killed you guys. Pettersson as your franchise center going firward or a top pairing of Provorov-Makar would have you guys set.

Some solid pieces but no true game breakers. Need those elite players to contend for the cup.

Carter Hart is on pace to be an elite talent. In my estimation you need 4 things to contend for a cup. true number 1C, true number 1D, true number 1 goalie, and depth. I think Philly has all 4.

Couturier, Provorov, Hart and depth.

I understand what you me though. No ones begging Philly to have a Colorado or Vancouver type roster where they have 3 superstars

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm hopeful that Thompson, Grant, and Braun won't be back. Pitlick's a good egg, we can keep him. Optimally, we'd be able to move JVR with minimal takebacks; the obvious dream is for him to be the cap going out in a deal that brings back a talent like Gaudreau, but that doesn't strike me as reasonable. Less exciting, but perhaps possible, would be to let Elliott walk, and move JVR to Arizona for Raanta and Grabner. Kuemper should be their starting goalie, Raanta and Grabner make about as much as JVR, and they both come off the cap after next season, just in time for Hart and Sanheim to hit RFA status. Then either tell AV to slot Ghost in for Braun and keep moving, or find somewhere he makes sense and cut a deal. Bring Elliott back if we don't do that JVR deal or something similar, and I think the extra year's experience will do this team a world of good. Let some combination of the kids earn those 4th line spots, and we should be looking good next year.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Overall super solid year. Now the key is to build on this.

We need Patrick to come back and show the promise he did before the migraine disorder. Need Lindblom to regain the path he was on. Need Hart, Sanheim, Myers, Provorov, Farabee, Konecny to continue to

Need Couturier and Hayes to have similar type seasons.

biggest question is how many good years do Giroux, Voracek and Niskanen have. I’m sure G and Jake still have 2-3 years left as good top 6 forwards but with Niskanen, who knows.

Overall, future is bright flyers fans!

Reactions: TheKingPin

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
biggest question is how many good years do Giroux, Voracek and Niskanen have. I’m sure G and Jake still have 2-3 years left as good top 6 forwards but with Niskanen, who knows.

Bright side here is we only really need Nisky to have 1 good year. After that, with luck, we'll have Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers as stable veteran presences, Hägg will also be there, hopefully Zamula and Friedman ready to step up on the blue line, with York hopefully on the top pairing in Allentown, and maybe one guy from outside the organization (since sadly I think we've reached the end of the line for Sam Morin in O&B.) It would be quite nice to draft the next guys up after York this year, though; that pipeline's done a great job rebuilding our blue line, but it's starting to slow down.

Reactions: Nabrules

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Bro. Why are you here? To be Mr. Obvious from another team?

We'd like to talk amongst ourselves about our misery, not have outsiders come in to say drafting better players (IN HINDSIGHT) would make your team better - duh.

Bye

Reactions: Defect

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
These two rounds it seemed as though there was 6 guys on the ice for the opposition in almost every game. Team won't win with this core. We all know it. JVR is an albatross. Sanheim needs to learn to toughen up he plays like a p****. G and Voracek are decent but no longer can lead this team. The Thompson, Hagg's and Grant's can't play as much as AV has been playing them (hopefully all will be gone) If Patrick or Frost don't emerge as front line players were done for a while. Would anyone be surprised if we don't make the playoffs next year if those guys aren't key parts of the team?? Anyone?

Our future is Hart, Myers, Provy, Konecny, Couts we need more. Disheartening as a die hard fan for 40+ years. This team has been mismanaged for years please Fletcher don't f*** this up by trading future picks etc. We need to rebuild and hope the Allison, Ratcliffe's, Zamula, York and Brink can somehow flourish while either dumping those big contracts or somehow find a way to utilise them within an emerging young core. Don't know if AV system fits this aging core. This team looked lost against both opponents....lost

Ghost has been wasted and the coach has devalued him likely beyond belief. Really concerned as we have no cap room and a ton of question marks. BTW I wouldn't sign Hart to a huge contract unless it in the $6 million range. Wait one more year imo. I really don't know what they should do as will they get value for Voracek, G or JVR (will teams take them??)

All the best everyone... sad another season ends in disappointment unfortunately were all used to it.
Rebuild? No we don’t need to rebuild. We need to ditch the deadweight and bring up the kids who at this point really aren’t kids anymore.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
The truth.. we lost game 7 in worst possible way. Outplayed, outclassed, out muscled, out coached. GM needs to make decision about core players going forward Giroux, Voracek, Niskanen and JVR (JVR is a no brainier).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The truth.. we lost game 7 in worst possible way. Outplayed, outclassed, out muscled, out coached. GM needs to make decision about core players going forward Giroux, Voracek, Niskanen and JVR (JVR is a no brainier).

Yes, he has to realize they're not "core players" and keep building up the young talent base.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
truth is...I’m not too disappointed for the fact I never really had an high expectation of the Flyers going far into the playoffs!
That double overtime win was my highlight!
Fletcher and AV have a offseason work load to form and structure 4 solid hockey lines that can compete with a final goal of competing for a right to win a Stanley Cup!
The last four teams in contention are built solid from 1-4 lines with a abundance of skill,depth and HART!
A great template for the Flyers organization to proceed with and make decisions going forward!
It’s attainable but not overnight...
with still a ways to go!
More question marks than answers but we just have to build and surround our saviour....

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
AV got exposed in this series. Every single bit of him was showing and it was glaring how bad his system and coaching style really is for the modern NHL. He has no adaptability and still plays favorites for players that don't deserve the playing time. The Big Boy Pants thing really brought that to light that he was playing favorites and when questioned about them, he would either say only thing positive about them or deflect it by taking it out on other players. Thompson is not a viable NHL player. Grant is not a viable NHL player. Hagg brings absolutely nothing special to the table and is dime a dozen, yet constantly say Ghost when he was always making chances happen. Refusing to play a rookie like Frost while Grant and Thompson played is in-f***ing-excuseable. There is no reason that any point he could give it a try to see if that changed up things, especially since the Flyers were REALLY struggling offensively in so many areas.

Just like Hak before him, he refuses to look at the more advanced metrics and refuses to actually see what is working for them. And him covering for Therrien's truly atrocious PP scheming really shows how he plays favorites, even when things are glaringly f***ing awful. They need to go. We need to reset again and get someone like Gallant. Gallant has more adaptability and generally likes using the better, younger players instead of older, slower ones.

We can also give shit to individual efforts, but it all still starts at the system and what they are taught, and that would be the coaching.

Was it exposed in the regular season? I'm confused as to how a team as badly coached as the flyers would probably have been division winners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad