The Trials of Nail Yakupov

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
See that Eberle goal? That's what I wish Yakupov could do. He has no finish whatsoever.

Jordan Tootoo has as many goals as Yakupov does. McLellan thinks he needs to step it up.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
See that Eberle goal? That's what I wish Yakupov could do. He has no finish whatsoever.

Jordan Tootoo has as many goals as Yakupov does. McLellan thinks he needs to step it up.

Pretty much.

Fans can say what they want about his line mates, as a "scorer", Yakupov isn't scoring.

He's a bit better defensively this year but his dependence on others to generate offense is disappointing

SaskOilers

Jan 6, 2009
Time for yaks agent to pull out the Petr Klima quote what with 12mins of toi and that being with the offensively inept Letestu and Hendricks. I thought yak tried real hard tonight and even managed to get a few shifts where the line was able to possess the puck offensively. Still, hard to create much of anything with a Center like this.

letestu is just plain awful offensively contributes zero in that zone.

Letestu is terrible offensively sure, but give some credit where it's due. Late in the second he layed a perfect pass on Yak's stick right in the slot. This was immediately after Hendricks threw a puck right to Yak in front of the crease - neither of these plays were converted obviously. At what point does a player become responsible for his own actions out on the ice?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Letestu is terrible offensively sure, but give some credit where it's due. Late in the second he layed a perfect pass on Yak's stick right in the slot. This was immediately after Hendricks threw a puck right to Yak in front of the crease - neither of these plays were converted obviously. At what point does a player become responsible for his own actions out on the ice?

judging from this thread it seems as if Yak is "made responsible" after every game even when he, himself, is playing well. Of course no mention of the couple times in the game Letestu was setup by Yak wide open in front of the net last night.

Lets be serious as well. The only person getting any checking coverage on that line is Yak. With all respect to Hendricks theres not going to be much offense on this line. The NHl is too good a league for one player to bust it all on his own. Doesn't work that way for many players. Only Hall on this team can.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Pretty much.

Fans can say what they want about his line mates, as a "scorer", Yakupov isn't scoring.

He's a bit better defensively this year but his dependence on others to generate offense is disappointing

Agreed here. But lets also be clear. Eberle other than that goal was invisible and played a pretty bad game. I would actually trade the effort yak put in with Eberles.

That said Eberle is a smarter player but tends to pick his spots.

lets not forget as well it was fortuitous. On a really off night the Hawks took an incredibly bad line change leaving Ebs all alone. he had so much time it was like a shootout attempt. Nice finish. But that was an outlier chance and goal.

SaskOilers

Jan 6, 2009
judging from this thread it seems as if Yak is "made responsible" after every game even when he, himself, is playing well. Of course no mention of the couple times in the game Letestu was setup by Yak wide open in front of the net last night.

Lets be serious as well. The only person getting any checking coverage on that line is Yak. With all respect to Hendricks theres not going to be much offense on this line. The NHl is too good a league for one player to bust it all on his own. Doesn't work that way for many players. Only Hall on this team can.

I only cited that specific example because you stated that Letestu adds nothing offensively. No need to mention the times he's been set up, I already conceded he's pretty inept offensively. I recall multiple times where McDavid gifted Letestu goals only to see him flub the chance. Let's just not pretend Yak is innocent.

I just don't agree with people continually giving Yak free passes. I'm absolutely willing to concede when he makes good plays (I saw some good back checks last night), but he should be accountable like the rest of the players (I also saw some bad giveaways by him that hemmed that line in defensively).

It's not a coincidence that coaches don't trust him to play big minutes.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Agreed here. But lets also be clear. Eberle other than that goal was invisible and played a pretty bad game. I would actually trade the effort yak put in with Eberles.

lets not forget as well it was fortuitous. On a really off night the Hawks took an incredibly bad line change leaving Ebs all alone. he had so much time it was like a shootout attempt. Nice finish. But that was an outlier chance and goal.

You take what you're given. Doesn't matter if it was fortuitous, you get a breakaway you better score. The team has to find ways to score.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You take what you're given. Doesn't matter if it was fortuitous, you get a breakaway you better score. The team has to find ways to score.

Eberle would have buried that chance.

Eberle is a true goal scorer...Yak isn't.
Eberle helps to make teammates better...Yak doesn't.

Its not about not liking the player...its just what reality has revealed about the player.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I only cited that specific example because you stated that Letestu adds nothing offensively. No need to mention the times he's been set up, I already conceded he's pretty inept offensively. I recall multiple times where McDavid gifted Letestu goals only to see him flub the chance. Let's just not pretend Yak is innocent.

I just don't agree with people continually giving Yak free passes. I'm absolutely willing to concede when he makes good plays (I saw some good back checks last night), but he should be accountable like the rest of the players (I also saw some bad giveaways by him that hemmed that line in defensively).

It's not a coincidence that coaches don't trust him to play big minutes.

Overall a very fair post, but I have to add a caveat to the bolded: when he's playing badly. We saw Yak out in the dying minutes of important games under McLellan prior to the ConYak pairing and very frequently once they were together.

His fragile confidence/streakiness is still a concern, but I like that McLellan seems to be treating him even handedly based on play rather than dumping on him no matter what. That's a big change from last year.

Overall I still see a player playing a very different style of game from years past but seemingly having lost his scoring touch. He's been part of some nice setups in the offensive zone even without McDavid but can't finish to save his life right now.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Eberle would have buried that chance.

Eberle is a true goal scorer...Yak isn't.
Eberle helps to make teammates better...Yak doesn't.

Its not about not liking the player...its just what reality has revealed about the player.

Totally agree.

What a strange argument.

"Eberle got an easy chance."

Who cares? He scored. Something Yakupov doesn't do.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Totally agree.

What a strange argument.

"Eberle got an easy chance."

Who cares? He scored. Something Yakupov doesn't do.

Exactly.

True goal scorers dont have people making excuses for why they arent scoring.
With Yak its always been 'pick your excuse'.

Its never the players fault when it comes to Yak.
Very strange dynamic that hasn't existed with any other player that I can recall.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Exactly.

True goal scorers dont have people making excuses for why they arent scoring.
With Yak its always been 'pick your excuse'.

Its never the players fault when it comes to Yak.
Very strange dynamic that hasn't exist with any other player that I can recall.

Moreover the goal Drai scored to tie the game... Just a perfect shot.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Moreover the goal Drai scored to tie the game... Just a perfect shot.

Yak has clearly been passed by Draisaitl.

As it exists right now here is the top 6 and beyond...

McDavid
Hall
Eberle
RNH
Draisaitl
Pouliot
Purcell

Yak is a bottom 6 player on this team and not a very effective one either.
Will that ever change or will he ever be a consistent top 6 player...I have serious doubts at this point in time.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I thought Yak had a terrible game outside of one or two decent scoring chances and one solid defensive play. That strangley enough the announcers went out of their way to focus on.

Yak still looks lost and ineffective when in his own zone. He crumbles under the pressure when the opponents get a good cycle going. It really does seem like we are killing a penalty sometimes with him in our own zone.

Very low hockey IQ is hard to fix.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

McDavid
Hall
Eberle
RNH
Draisaitl
Pouliot
Purcell

Will that ever change or will he ever be a consistent top 6 player...I have serious doubts at this point in time.

I really hope he does, because he CAN be good, and he is trying out there... Unfortunately if he's not scoring he's not really much good.

He needs to use his speed and shot more and yet he just.. doesn't.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

McDavid
Hall
Eberle
RNH
Draisaitl
Pouliot
Purcell

Drai surpassed Yak and also Eberle, RNH and Pouliot. That's a great thing. A 3rd overall playing like a 1st overall. About time our players are panning out. If Yak tops off as a 50-point player riding McDavid's cocktail and making under 4M in his prime. That's fine too! We need more top 6 guys making bottom 6 dollars if we plan on becoming long reigning contenders.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Drai surpassed Yak and also Eberle, RNH and Pouliot. That's a great thing. A 3rd overall playing like a 1st overall. About time our players are panning out. If Yak tops off as a 50-point player riding McDavid's cocktail and making under 4M in his prime. That's fine too! We need more top 6 guys making bottom 6 dollars if we plan on becoming long reigning contenders.

A 3rd overall playing like a 1st overall looks good on Draisaitl.

Yak is a 1st overall...whats he playing like?

Yak has to do more than just be able to play with McDavid. I think thats where Eberle plays and he will be much more effective IMO.
Yak's lack of versatility and lack of top end finish (like Eberle) makes him a passenger.
IMO that makes him entirely redundant.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
A 3rd overall playing like a 1st overall looks good on Draisaitl.

Yak is a 1st overall...whats he playing like?

Yak has to do more than just be able to play with McDavid. I think thats where Eberle plays and he will be much more effective IMO.
Yak's lack of versatility and lack of top end finish (like Eberle) makes him a passenger.
IMO that makes him entirely redundant.

Yak and RNH are neither 1st overall caliber. Will never be. We have to look pass it. Their draft year was weak. We just have to accept it. Just happy McDavid will compensate for those years.

IMO, Eberle will eventually be traded. Either now for Hamonic or in 2 years when McDavid gets a raise. Eberle goes for Hamonic, it will be a small add. Yak goes for Hamonic, it will be at least a 1st and then some. I'd rather keep Yak+1st and draft a replacement for Eberle with a skilled powerforward like Laine, Puljujarvi, Jones, Tkachuk.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
As per usual, it's always his linemates fault.

He's a first overall pick with 2 goals in 19 games.

Time to move on.

He produces with McDavid (as anyone would).

He doesn't produce with horrible offensive centres (as any non-top 10 winger in the game would).

We need to get him a decent centre or better so that he can be useful. There's only a few guys in the entire game that could produce with Letestu or Lander or whoever else he gets saddled with.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie

Don't know if he has surpassed RNH yet, he has to prove he can succeed against top competition for a season, playing all situations first. I would agree with Yak/Ebs and Pouliot though. It's Yak's spot that Draisaitl is going to steal in the top 6 IMO. Going forward I would run a top 6 of…

Hall - RNH - Draisaitl (proven chemistry, can face top competition, good mix of skill, size and speed. Allows us 2 keep 3C in our top 6 to fill in for injuries)

Pouliot -McDavid - Eberle (Pou and Ebs have good chemistry, so do Pou and McD, Ebs is best pure finisher and should be able to finish a lot of McDavids chances, Pou is good at retrieving pucks)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yak and RNH are neither 1st overall caliber. Will never be. We have to look pass it. Their draft year was weak. We just have to accept it. Just happy McDavid will compensate for those years.

IMO, Eberle will eventually be traded. Either now for Hamonic or in 2 years when McDavid gets a raise. Eberle goes for Hamonic, it will be a small add. Yak goes for Hamonic, it will be at least a 1st and then some. I'd rather keep Yak+1st and draft a replacement for Eberle with a skilled powerforward like Laine, Puljujarvi, Jones, Tkachuk.

What does RNH have to do with this? Isnt this about Yak?

You managed to deflect your comments to include everybody but Yak. Seems to happen a lot around here.

BTW...I dont think Draisaitl has surpassed RNH. Yak yes...RNH no. RNH is a much better player than Yak...always has been.

In any event we probably agree that Yak will be traded. If they can use him to get Hamonic then i would be elated.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

You managed to deflect your comments to include everybody but Yak. Seems to happen a lot around here.

BTW...I dont think Draisaitl has surpassed RNH. Yak yes...RNH no. RNH is a much better player than Yak...always has been.

In any event we probably agree that Yak will be traded. If they can use him to get Hamonic then i would be elated.

You did mention the 1st overall pedigree. Neither RNH and Yak are playing like one. That's why RNH was brought up. RNH also had the pleasure of playing with more skilled players...always has been

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Hey I never said Eberle was playing great. Fact is everytime Yakupov is questioned, its always "Why is it Yakupov's fault when so and so" rather than Yakupov should work on this and that.

It's always excuses. I get he's a raw player with great personality...it just sucks he can't bring things together on the ice without others impacting his game.

Posters should quit pointing fingers when this is about Yakupov and him not producing.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

This. Nuge has other issues namely offensive creativity but defensively, he's way better than Yak will ever be. The only thing against Nuge is his contract is a bit hefty for what he brings points wise. Granted the last argument is based on him never surpassing 56 pts so who knows, maybe this is the year

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
Does anyone have the ability to show what other Oilers' top players have done this year in their limited time with "crap" linemates?
For example, in Eberle's past x games since he's been back, before the Hawks game, he's been playing mainly with Lander + whoever, how much did he score (I'm pretty sure 0pts in those games, other than the PPG on the top PPG line).
Did Hall play games without RNH/McDavid/Drai (and with Letestu/Hendricks or equivalent)?
How many points did he get?

Just trying to determine the validity of this linemate argument, and if Hall/Eberle/RNH/Drai/McDavid played with people like Letestu/Hendricks as Yak does, how much would they (be expected to) produce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad