The Trevor Lindens of history

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
Inspired by the discussion on Trevor Linden in the thread about captains who lost their captaincy, it got me thinking. Trevor Linden is almost certainly the most liked palyer to ever suit up for the Canucks, this is not for his exceptional talent. He has always been a good player, and a very good playoff player, but not even the most blue-eyed Canuckfan would put him anywhere near the games true greats in terms of production or skills.

Yet he is so highly revered by the people of Vancouver, this is not strange at all given the time, effort and dedication he showed to the team and the city.

Well anyhow, this got me wondering, what are som good examples of earlier 'Trevor Lindens'? Players who stayed long, maybe served as captains for their teams, yet never reaching that real stardom, but still have a special spot in the history of the team?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
If I had to name a Flyer, the first thought is Joe Watson. He's probably been with the organization in various roles longer than any other ex-player -- going back to season one (except for a brief period when he played for the Rockies). Member of the team's H of F. Active in the community, popular, etc. He wasn't a captain, however.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Bobby Nystrom for the Islanders. A third liner but he is absolutely revered by Islanders fans.

tommygunn

Dec 2, 2008
Inspired by the discussion on Trevor Linden in the thread about captains who lost their captaincy, it got me thinking. Trevor Linden is almost certainly the most liked palyer to ever suit up for the Canucks, this is not for his exceptional talent. He has always been a good player, and a very good playoff player, but not even the most blue-eyed Canuckfan would put him anywhere near the games true greats in terms of production or skills.

Yet he is so highly revered by the people of Vancouver, this is not strange at all given the time, effort and dedication he showed to the team and the city.

Well anyhow, this got me wondering, what are som good examples of earlier 'Trevor Lindens'? Players who stayed long, maybe served as captains for their teams, yet never reaching that real stardom, but still have a special spot in the history of the team?
Stan Smyl.

Ogopogo*

Ryan Smyth is a good example of an average player that was well-liked in Edmonton.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
isn't mcdonald a hall of famer who scored 500 nhl goals, 66 in one season, and won a cup as a captain?

i would call that a star player

Outside of that one season, I guess I never really thought of him as a star outside of Calgary... just an extremely likeable good player and leader.

thefifthsedin*

Ken Danyeko has his jersey retired in NJ and it was a no-brainer decision.

that's correct if you with that mean that no brain was involved in the decision making process :D

Outside of that one season, I guess I never really thought of him as a star outside of Calgary... just an extremely likeable good player and leader.

mcdonald scored 219 regular season goals for the maple leafs, 66 for the rockies, and 215 for the flames

playoff numbers goes 20 goals for the maple leafs, 0 for the rockies, and 24 for the flames

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Saku Koivu in Montreal.

Despite some inane comments about the language issue by a few member of the media, Saku is still widely loved in Montreal, despite his lack of personal or team success.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Was going to answer Stan Smyl, but he played with the Canucks too, so that doesn't really make sense.

Otherwise...

I could have seen Ryan Smyth end up in that category, if he didn't left Edmonton.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Shane Doan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad