The Toronto Maple Leafs "Rebuild"

vaderdolly

Jan 31, 2015
This is what I would like the Leafs rebuild to look like. I would like to know your thoughts ,comments ,concerns ,etc. Also How would you like it to look?

Deal 1: Toronto- Kessel
Columbus- Jenner,2015 1st (most likely a top 10 pick), Wisnewski (used in trade to eat up cap, but still a useful player), Anderson
(Note: this is one trade of mine I might consider an "overpayment")

Deal 2: Toronto- Phaneuf
Dallas- Oleksiak, 2016 1st/2nd

Deal 3: Toronto- Bozak
Capitals- Johansson, 2015 2nd/3rd

Deal 4: Toronto- Reimer
Edmonton- 2nd/3rd

Signings: Greiss/Budaj, Sheppard/Matthias/Kennedy (One of these three prioritize them in this order)

After this Toronto will look like this

JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Johansson- Jenner-Clarkson
Komarov-Holland-Panik
Anderson-Sheppard/Mathias/Kennedy-Leivo

Gardiner-Wisnewski
Reilly-Polak
Oleksiak-Robidas

Bernier-Greiss/Budaj

Players We gained: Jenner,Wisnewski,Oleksiak,Johansson

Draft Picks we gained: CLB 2015 1st, DAL 2016 1ST/2ND,EDM 2015 2ND/3RD WSH 2015 2ND/3RD

As for coaching I would like the leafs to get a very strong possession coach who however does not sacrifice offence as much as a coach such as Horachek does. This coach will be one who is kept for a long-term, firing or adjustments should not be an option for atleast 5-6 years. (Team is still building).

Three coaches who are examples of this are Babcock, Blashill, and Mclellan.

Why I think this would work:
I feel like this is the best way to approach our "rebuild" as we have a structure set in place for the young to learn from the older, then for this cycle to keep going. We keep some of our veteran's so the teams youth does not lose confidence, they are taught teamwork , they learn to buy into a system(vetereans usually do) and they still have the mentorship and leadership. The reason for this rebuild rather than shipping everything out is because veterans still need to be kept. Look at edmonto Edmonton (lack of confidence,inability to follow a system,Inexperienced player running team) We are refilling our prospect reserves with all of the draft picks acquired plus the ones which we own (which chances are they will be high).

I find this way different than a traditional "rebuild", some may still classify this as a "rebuild" however as we are not shipping everything out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad