The Top 31 Defensemen in the National Hockey League - #23

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Finally Trouba got in. About damn time.

Now, I am completely torn between Klingberg, Leddy and Klefbom.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Finally Trouba got in. About damn time.

Now, I am completely torn between Klingberg, Leddy and Klefbom.

Klingberg. Klefbom is great but Klingberg went from overrated to underrated due to one season lol. Leddy's underlying numbers are very bad on a team that was only better than Arizona defensively last season (Colorado wasn't even close to as bad defensively).

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Klingberg. Klefbom is great but Klingberg went from overrated to underrated due to one season lol. Leddy's underlying numbers are very bad on a team that was only better than Arizona defensively last season (Colorado wasn't even close to as bad defensively).

Yeah, I don't get why everyone likes Leddy so much.

He's good but he's not in my top 30.

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden
The fact that Klingberg, Buff, Ristolainen and Werenski have more votes than Tanev, Stralman and Ekholm is a ****ing mystery to me. Is offensive output all that matters nowadays?

Klingberg is way to streaky imho. Brilliant one night, completely lost in his own zone the next. Ristolainen and Werenski are very good and promising but way to unproven.

Ekholm, Stralman and Tanev are all very smart solid defensemen doing a great job night in and night out. In almost every aspect. There are no real flaws in their game. If I was a coach, I'd rather have two of them on ice during a game 7 sudden death. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The fact that Klingberg, Buff, Ristolainen and Werenski have more votes than Tanev, Stralman and Ekholm is a ****ing mystery to me. Is offensive output all that matters nowadays?

Klingberg is way to streaky imho. Brilliant one night, completely lost in his own zone the next. Ristolainen and Werenski are very good and promising but way to unproven.

Ekholm, Stralman and Tanev are all very smart solid defensemen doing a great job night in and night out. In almost every aspect. There are no real flaws in their game. If I was a coach, I'd rather have two of them on ice during a game 7 sudden death. But that's just me.

Just look at how highly Burns is rated and you'll get your answer.

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden
Just look at how highly Burns is rated and you'll get your answer.

Yeah, I guess I should have seen the warning signs.. :laugh:

And, BTW, Dougie Hamilton top 20? In what universe is he a better d-man than Tanev, Stralman or Ekholm?

I love the Flames but wtf? There is NO way they have 3 of the 20 best d-men in the leauge. I can understand Giordano and Brodie being in there. But Dougie?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Yeah, I guess I should have seen the warning signs.. :laugh:

And, BTW, Dougie Hamilton top 20? In what universe is he a better d-man than Tanev, Stralman or Ekholm?

I love the Flames but wtf? There is NO way they have 3 of the 20 best d-men in the leauge. I can understand Giordano and Brodie being in there. But Dougie?

I guess you can see offense being more important and/or effective as a means of defending than traditional defense, and as far as I know, a lot of people do see it that way. That leaves fantastic defensemen who are fantastic on the D-zone underappreciated. Also, with Stralman and Ekholm come the arguments about them being boosted by Hedman and Subban, which are a factor.

There is absolutely no argument for Hamilton being ahead of any of the three names you mentioned, let alone all of them AND Slavin, Trouba etc. He wasn't trusted to play the role of a 1D, or even that of a 2D. It is by far the biggest collective brainfart on this list, and it'll likely remain that way.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't have a huge problem with Fowler winning right now. Every guy left has a flaw or 10. He is ELITE at one very important skill (carrying the puck out of the zone). He is unremarkable everywhere else. I'd actually love to see him paired with a guy like Shea Weber. Those two would compliment the crap out of each other.

Klefbom being 2nd is wrong, though. Good d-man, but Ekholm, Ellis, Krug, Klingberg, Niskanen, Chara, and Spurgeon all certainly better right now.

Klefbom getting voting in would give me another name to list when arguing for Krug, at least, given that he only plays 13 seconds more at 5 on 5 per game.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I don't have a huge problem with Fowler winning right now. Every guy left has a flaw or 10. He is ELITE at one very important skill (carrying the puck out of the zone). He is unremarkable everywhere else. I'd actually love to see him paired with a guy like Shea Weber. Those two would compliment the crap out of each other.

Klefbom being 2nd is wrong, though. Good d-man, but Ekholm, Ellis, Krug, Klingberg, Niskanen, Chara, and Spurgeon all certainly better right now.

Klefbom getting voting in would give me another name to list when arguing for Krug, at least, given that he only plays 13 seconds more at 5 on 5 per game.

In terms of team importance Klefbom is more important than Ellis and the Oilers did finish higher, but hey it's currently just sample size. Klingberg should be on the list though. Don't care about streakiness, when your offense is at worst top 10 in the league the past few seasons even with extreme sheltering and world beaters in Benn, Seguin, Spezza, Sharp of 2015-2016, etc. and suspect defensive play you need to be on here.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I guess you can see offense being more important and/or effective as a means of defending than traditional defense, and as far as I know, a lot of people do see it that way. That leaves fantastic defensemen who are fantastic on the D-zone underappreciated. Also, with Stralman and Ekholm come the arguments about them being boosted by Hedman and Subban, which are a factor.

There is absolutely no argument for Hamilton being ahead of any of the three names you mentioned, let alone all of them AND Slavin, Trouba etc. He wasn't trusted to play the role of a 1D, or even that of a 2D. It is by far the biggest collective brainfart on this list, and it'll likely remain that way.

Even a lot of Flames fans don't think Hamilton deserves 20th place. He's a fantastic D, but I don't consider him a 1D at all yet. He's an elite 2D aka in the 35-40th range of overall Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad