The Top 30 Players in the NHL (2018 Edition) - #3

Who is the 3rd best player in the NHL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Malkin's were 9 games. Which is what illpucks was talking about. And that's highly debatable when Malkin had 11 more points in 4 less games (and 5 more primary points for the goal scoring crowd).

Quite close in the regular season, but Malkin had a horrible playoff for his standards while Ovi delievered and raised his game. Malkin did absoloutely nothing outside the PP(6 of his 8 points on the PP). While his line got badly outplayed 5vs5 against both Caps and Philly. They didnt create offence at all and the goals leaked in when Malkin was on the ice. Malkin just needed to be decent with how Crosby and Guentzel was playing on the 1st line, but he was a negative for the Pens and only his strong powerplay saved him from beeing totally slaughtered for his display.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Quite close in the regular season, but Malkin had a horrible playoff for his standards while Ovi delievered and raised his game. Malkin did absoloutely nothing outside the PP(6 of his 8 points on the PP). While his line got badly outplayed 5vs5 against both Caps and Philly. They didnt create offence at all and the goals leaked in when Malkin was on the ice. Malkin just needed to be decent with how Crosby and Guentzel was playing on the 1st line, but he was a negative for the Pens and only his strong powerplay saved him from beeing totally slaughtered for his display.

I don't disagree, and if I was voting for who had the best overall season (regular season and playoffs), I would put Ovechkin ahead. But Malkin's more than proven himself in past playoffs to the point where I'm not going to let his 9 games influence how I view him too much. He led the playoffs in points just the year before. With Malkin, I just feel he has the greater overall impact on the game as not only an elite goalscorer, but also an elite playmaker and puck carrier, and in general I prefer players with more rounded skillsets to be the focal point of the team and control the flow of play. Ovechkin showed more to his game this season than he has in the past few years, and I think he was arguably the best he's been since the 2010 Olympics. His shot and goalscoring ability is a huge weapon that can change the game at any time and I wouldn't fault anyone for taking him here, but I would still take Malkin, and I do think it's interesting how much Ovechkin's playoffs have influenced how he's viewed around here.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Maybe many Vancouver fans became Crosby supporters after 2010. Like that K2B poster who was also a Canucks fan/ huge Sid supporter

This argument would work if Malkin was milking secondary assists on the PP, didn't actually lead the team in points or had less primary points than Ovechkin. The Caps were coming off back to back President's Trophies this year and were still 9th in goals for this year, only 13 behind the Pens, and Ovechkin's most common linemate was only 7 points back of Malkin's and only 3 points back of Ovechkin. The idea that Malkin had far more help is asinine. And if you want to go that route, you would also have to downgrade Ovechkin's playoffs for the amount of scoring his teammates did.

Also I'm a Canucks fan. Word to the wise: assuming everyone that disagrees with you has an agenda really makes you lose all credibility

You are only showing your obvious bias by objectively applying the standards to OV's playoffs as is being applied to Malkin's regular season.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
OV, Malkin, Kucherov and Kane among forwards.

All have good arguments based on recent play and pedigree.

Not surprised that Malkin and OV are the top vote getters. Would not be surprised if Kane or Kucherov separate themselves from those two this year or if Malkin misses games again.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
OV, Malkin, Kucherov and Kane among forwards.

P. Kane had a weaker season last year than his peak the year before then weaker again this year. So he have probably fallen a bit on the list for many. Karlsson also had some injury troubles so he might drop a little. With a healthy season he would contend a little higher than he will now. Then you have some of the guys you want to prove it wasnt just a one time peak season like Hall and MacKinnon. If they keep this up next year they will be ranked high(They will come high already after this year, but even higher).

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I can't really decide between Malkin and Ovechkin.

I would say Malkin had the better regular season but not by a lot. Ovechkin was better in the playoffs.

In 2016-2017 Malkin was definitely better in the regular season and playoffs.

In 2014-2015 Ovechkin was better in the RS (second in Hart voting while Geno received no votes for the award) and playoffs.

In 2016, I'd say Ovie had a better season and Malkin wasn't at his best in the playoffs even though his team won the Cup; Alex outscored him head-to-head in their series.

Durability is a concern with Malkin and this season was his best one since 2012. Meanwhile, Ovechkin may have to fight through fatigue next season following his playoffs.

Kucherov should really be in the mix along with these two.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
As predicted despite being clear 3rd in both polls the Crosby crowd is trying really hard to stop Ovi with the 11 Malkin votes

I'm failing to see any connection here. The fact that some people thought he should have been 1 or 2 has zero to do with the number of people who think he belongs at 3.

That said, I went Malkin here. I love Ovi and would kill to have him on my team but he's he's not the guy that takes over an entire game to pull the team to a W like Malkin has

Last edited:

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I'm failing to see any connection here. The fact that some people thought he should have been 1 or 2 has zero to do with the number of people who belong at 3.

That said, I went Malkin here. I love Ovi and would kill to have him on my team but he's he's not the guy that takes over an entire game to pull the team to a W like Malkin has
He just pulled his team to a cup and got the smythe. Malkin warmed the bench as Sid and Jake carried the team.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
He just pulled his team to a cup and got the smythe. Malkin warmed the bench as Sid and Jake carried the team.

You make it sound like he did it himself which is so not the case. Most opinions were split / as to whether the Smythe should have gone to Ovi or Kuzy (you remember him.... the guy with the most playoff points in the entire NHL this year)

It's not like there's a "wrong" choice here, all I'm saying is if its one game for all the marbles I'd pick Geno over Ovi. Call it personal preference if you will

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Pretty crazy to see Ovechkin voted #3.

Does anyone have a link to some of the best player rankings votings that we done at the start of last year? Was Ovechkin even ranked top 10? I'd be curious to see.

I don't really mind it. I always had him high - I don't know that he merits #3 though. I'd have probably had him 5-6.

Recency bias is always very high here.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Pretty crazy to see Ovechkin voted #3.

Does anyone have a link to some of the best player rankings votings that we done at the start of last year? Was Ovechkin even ranked top 10? I'd be curious to see.

I don't really mind it. I always had him high - I don't know that he merits #3 though. I'd have probably had him 5-6.

Recency bias is always very high here.
Pretty crazy that Malkin is getting so much votes after Ovi's cup run when Malkin was a bench warmer.
Ovi is above Sid while analysts dornt even have Malkin top 10.
It's only HF that Malkin is so high

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Pretty crazy that Malkin is getting so much votes after Ovi's cup run when Malkin was a bench warmer.
Ovi is above Sid while analysts dornt even have Malkin top 10.
It's only HF that Malkin is so high

I don't know that Ovi's cup run on its own should raise his stock from whatever ranking you had him before the season to #3.

Malkin had a tremendous regular season - in fact at some point it looked like he was headed to his best regular season ever, till he cooled off a bit at the tail end. He led the league in playoff points last year - and mostly, he was ranked higher than Ovi going into this season by most.

So Malkin holding onto #3 after this season isn't all that unreasonable.

Where did you rank Ovi before this season started? 3? 4? 10? I don't have an issue you voting him #3 if you had him ranked high going into this year - but if you had him ranked much lower (as majority of HF did), there's a lot of other players who raised their game this year too (Kucherov, MacKinnon, etc). One smythe doesn't just leapfrog everything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad