The Top 20 Red Wings of All-Time, #4

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
It's a joke Keith Primeau is even mentioned in a thread like this. I'd put him in the same category as Paul Coffey, Dino Ciccarelli, Ray Sheppard, Larry Murphy, Todd Bertuzzi, Martin Lapointe and Doug Brown. Hasek won the cup in 2002 and played great in the playoffs 2007. Primeau's biggest accomplishment in Detroit was when he got us Brendan Shanahan from Hartford.

I'd put all those guys ahead of Primeau except for maybe LaPointe.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I don't get the votes here for Datsyuk, other than recency bias. I don't really get the votes for Fedorov, unless we were suddenly voting for 'most gifted player who wore our uniform', but I'd love to hear arguments for either of them, otherwise.

Stayed with Sawchuk out of stubbornness, but I'm not sure that there's a bad vote between what seems to be the next 3 guys who will go up. I guess, in hindsight, I voted for Yzerman (in 2nd) because he meant more to the Red Wings, and now I'm sort of reversing that vote (by picking Sawchuk over Delvecchio)... hm.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I don't get the votes here for Datsyuk, other than recency bias. I don't really get the votes for Fedorov, unless we were suddenly voting for 'most gifted player who wore our uniform', but I'd love to hear arguments for either of them, otherwise.

Stayed with Sawchuk out of stubbornness, but I'm not sure that there's a bad vote between what seems to be the next 3 guys who will go up. I guess, in hindsight, I voted for Yzerman (in 2nd) because he meant more to the Red Wings, and now I'm sort of reversing that vote (by picking Sawchuk over Delvecchio)... hm.

Yeah it's kind of talent vs legacy with some guys.

Talent
Lindsay, sawchuck, feds

Legacy
Delvecchio, Abel

Not that those guys don't have both great talents and legacies.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

I think Dats and Feds are both in that 6-10 group. It's not like people are voting for Larkin here.
I think the only way one of them gets 5th is if Delvecchio and Lindsay split the vote.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I think Dats and Feds are both in that 6-10 group. It's not like people are voting for Larkin here.
I think the only way one of them gets 5th is if Delvecchio and Lindsay split the vote.

Sure, but I still don't think Datsyuk, for instance, compares all that favorably to most of the other guys getting votes right now. Which, as someone mentioned, isn't a knock on him *at all*, it's just that we've had some really, really good players.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Delvecchio

Just going to leave this here.

Sawchuk, great goalie. Delvecchio, great RedWing. Lifer, player, coach, front office, radio, rinks in town just a great ambassador to the city, the team and the franchise. I don't know that there are many more who are heart and soul Wings.

Sawchuk was also a bit of a jerk, so I guess I am in a different mindset on him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I have to admit, I'm going to have a hard time voting for Fedorov in the top 10 because of his repeated contract issues and questionable effort outside of the playoffs. Gobs of ability, but the guy just leaves me lukewarm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad