The Top 20 Red Wings of All-Time, #4

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Reasons I shouldn't post before coffee - forgetting Ted Lindsay.

Here's the good version.

In the most shocking turn of events ever, Nicklas Lidstrom runs away with #3.

Round 1: Gordie Howe, 82.35%
Round 2: Steve Yzerman, 52%
Round 3: Nicklas Lidstrom, 93.06%

As always, discuss and offer an add. I've added Larry Aurie this round.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
I went with Sawchuk, his shutouts and wins are hard to beat. It's hard to believe he played without a mask most of his career. To be able to concentrate on stopping the puck after all the injuries he went through is pretty remarkable.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I like Sawchuk here. Guy is a legend at the position and spent the majority of his career in Detroit.

Add Sean Avery.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I like Sawchuk here. Guy is a legend at the position and spent the majority of his career in Detroit.

Add Sean Avery.

I was planning on adding Glendening, but I think I will add Avery.:sarcasm:

As for me, I'm going with Sawchuk.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I went with Sawchuk, not much I can go on. The Legend is real, though, it's a shame to hear of all the internal struggles the dude had to deal with and ultimately an unfortunate death.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Alex Delvecchio and by a decent amount in terms of Red Wings.

Delvecchio is behind only Lidstrom for most games played with one team.

As a side note Delvecchio, Lidstrom and Yzerman are the only players to play 1500 games in the NHL with only one team. Though Shane Doan (laughably) and Patty Marleau should join that club soon.

In any event Delvecchio also is the second longest serving captain of the Detroit Red Wings behind only Yzerman, having held that distinction for 12 years in Detroit.

He ranks third all-time in games played for the Franchise. 4th in assists, 3rd in goals, 3rd in points.

I get the temptation to vote for Sawchuk but in my opinion he doesn't stack up that favorably with Alex Delvecchio.

To put it another way, the wings notably didn't really retire numbers until when I was young. The Aurie embarrassment is even less understandable when you think about it. Because outside of Howe and Aurie nobody hung from the rafters. The first two the Wings put up in tandem to join Howe, were Delvecchio and Lindsay who were retired in 1991 on the same night. Yes they have meant a lot in their post playing days, but I think in particular putting anybody up before Delvecchio would have been wrong.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Also not that it surprises me and I am guessing he goes up too early. However, those voting for Datsyuk, he doesn't go up here before a single player who has a retired jersey in Detroit, he doesn't belong above any of them in my opinion. The reality of how good this franchise's history really is.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Alex Delvecchio and by a decent amount in terms of Red Wings.

Delvecchio is behind only Lidstrom for most games played with one team.

As a side note Delvecchio, Lidstrom and Yzerman are the only players to play 1500 games in the NHL with only one team. Though Shane Doan (laughably) and Patty Marleau should join that club soon.

In any event Delvecchio also is the second longest serving captain of the Detroit Red Wings behind only Yzerman, having held that distinction for 12 years in Detroit.

He ranks third all-time in games played for the Franchise. 4th in assists, 3rd in goals, 3rd in points.

I get the temptation to vote for Sawchuk but in my opinion he doesn't stack up that favorably with Alex Delvecchio.

To put it another way, the wings notably didn't really retire numbers until when I was young. The Aurie embarrassment is even less understandable when you think about it. Because outside of Howe and Aurie nobody hung from the rafters. The first two the Wings put up in tandem to join Howe. Delvecchio and Lindsay were retired in 1991 on the same night. Yes they have meant a lot in their post playing days, but I think in particular putting anybody up before Delvecchio would have been wrong.

Excellent points. Phrasing it that way, Delvecchio certain deserves more consideration.

My goalie bias is pretty strong, though. Grew up really enamored with Sawchuk and his legacy. He's a player that defined the position. His battered face remains the iconography of that era.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Excellent points. Phrasing it that way, Delvecchio certain deserves more consideration.

My goalie bias is pretty strong, though. Grew up really enamored with Sawchuk and his legacy. He's a player that defined the position. His battered face remains the iconography of that era.

I get the Sawchuk thing, I might not agree but understandable. My feelings on some of the other votes leveled over him has already been stated.

Also curious if your goalie bias is strong, are you going to start helping me in the Osgood deserves the HHOF conversations or fall into your normal Belfour stuff....:naughty:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He certainly deserves to be on there more than Hasek and Primeau for sure.

Really Chelios should probably be on the list at this point over either of them too.

Strange as it might sound Chris Chelios spent his most years in Detroit. Being with the Wings one season more than the Hawks and three seasons more than with Les Habs. He even was a First Team all-star with the Wings in 01-02.

Reed Larson, Homer, Ogrodnick. Quite a few I would put over them.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Really Chelios should probably be on the list at this point over either of them too.

Strange as it might sound Chris Chelios spent his most years in Detroit. Being with the Wings one season more than the Hawks and three seasons more than with Les Habs. He even was a First Team all-star with the Wings in 01-02.

Reed Larson, Homer, Ogrodnick. Quite a few I would put over them.

Nah, Chelios was 37 when he joined Detroit. Well past his prime. Great player during his time here but not anywhere close to being one of the franchise's best players all-time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Nah, Chelios was 37 when he joined Detroit. Well past his prime. Great player during his time here but not anywhere close to being one of the franchise's best players all-time.

I just think people forget he spent a decade here and it was actually his longest stop. He was a first team all-star in 01-02. For instance Zetterberg and Datsyuk have managed just one second-team all-star nod each during their tenure. Chelios was really good for the first segment of his career in Detroit. Maybe the best penalty killer in the league for a little while there. Won two cups. I associate him more with the Hawks, but Red Kelly is here and I associate him with another team as well. Just saying I view Chelios accomplishments with Detroit above that of Primeau or Hasek which was kind of the point.

I don't think he makes the top 20 if I was to do this list by myself. Might do that and post it as we get to the end of this.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Question from the missing Ted Lindsay poll.
Does Adams trading Lindsay, sawchuck, kelly put them at a disadvantage? And the Feds thing too

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Just saying I view Chelios accomplishments with Detroit above that of Primeau or Hasek which was kind of the point.

It's a joke Keith Primeau is even mentioned in a thread like this. I'd put him in the same category as Paul Coffey, Dino Ciccarelli, Ray Sheppard, Larry Murphy, Todd Bertuzzi, Martin Lapointe and Doug Brown. Hasek won the cup in 2002 and played great in the playoffs 2007. Primeau's biggest accomplishment in Detroit was when he got us Brendan Shanahan from Hartford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad