The Top 20 Red Wings of All-Time, #2

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Mr. Hockey wins this round quite easily. I'll shut that down early so we can get on to the next round.

Round 1: Gordie Howe, 82.35%

As always, discuss and offer an add. I've added three this time: Quackenbush, Goodfellow and Osgood was the user request.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Lidstrom for me this time.

I suspect this one will be neck and neck all the way to the end.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I have to go with Lids here. I got to appreciate him way more than Yzerman due to my age and understanding the game more.

I did choose Howe as number one, but his history and skill are undeniable.

Lidstrom is imo the best defenseman I've seen play and was essential to the team's success.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
2nd greatest player would be Lidstrom, 2nd greatest red wing makes it very more difficult

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Yep, another one for the "Lidstrom was the 2nd best player, but Yzerman was the 2nd best Wing". It was Yzerman's team - he was the one who bought into Bowman's defensive system, he was the one who laid aside years of the "choker" label, he was the one who in large part is responsible for the winning culture that continued after he left.

Add McCarty.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yzerman all the way. Better "Wing" and honestly, i would say better player. Lidstrom is amazing, and I mean no offense at all, but Yzerman propped up a roster in the late 80s that was so much worse than anything Lidstrom ever played with. Also, Yzerman would be looked at more favorably all time if he played like five years later. If his prime years didn't coincide with Gretzky and Lemieux turning the league into a joke, he'd likely have some more hardware to show for it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Gotta be Lidstrom. Despite being "The Captain" Lidstrom to me was the more steady anchor to the team's success, winning another cup after the old core left and basically keeping the Wings in a competitive mode until he retired.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Much like everyone else, I am having a hard time due to the question. Yzerman was the better Wing(which almost feels like a joke to say against Lidstrom), and that's the question. So Stevie Y.
I had every intention of voting for Lids, though.

...And now I've convinced myself that the gap of their "Wingdom" isn't far enough for me to vote for him. Lidstrom

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Lidstrom played the hardest position at an elite level for the Wings his entire career winning 4 Cups, 7 Norris trophies, and was the first European captain to win a Cup.

Yzerman was the face of the Wings, but based on impact and skill... Nick Lidstrom is my pick.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Lidstrom played the hardest position at an elite level for the Wings his entire career winning 4 Cups, 7 Norris trophies, and was the first European captain to win a Cup.

Yzerman was the face of the Wings, but based on impact and skill... Nick Lidstrom is my pick.

I dunno why you would base it off skill. Otherwise hasek would be near the top and do you really think he's a top 5 wing of all time? Naaah

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I dunno why you would base it off skill. Otherwise hasek would be near the top and do you really think he's a top 5 wing of all time? Naaah

Seems strange to bring up Hasek when the comparison is between two lifer Detroit Red Wings. Plus Hasek wasn't even in his prime when he played with Detroit.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Well...

Seems strange to bring up Hasek when the comparison is between two lifer Detroit Red Wings. Plus Hasek wasn't even in his prime when he played with Detroit.

This!

Hasek spent a fraction of his career with Detroit, none of which were his Vezina days. Meanwhile Lidstrom played his entire career with Detroit and was even captain during his final tenure. Both Lidstrom and Yzerman played over 1500 games in a Wings sweater.

So given that, yeah, I think the better overall player (in my opinion), Lidstrom, should get some consideration.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Arguably top 2 defenseman ever to play is overrated? Yzerman was great, but, there were long stretches of his career where he wasn't the best forward on the team.

You and I don't agree on much, but on this I agree. To call Lidstrom overrated is, frankly, insulting and just plain wrong.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Nick Lidstrom dominated in many different eras. Had an incredible prime, and his prime lasted a long time. Was a top pairing guy his entire career really. Top 3 in both ends. Real example of what a real defender was.

Yzerman had a lot of support offensively and was slowed down by injuries. Love Yzerman but he was never the best at his position (hard to blame him with Mario/99). Nick was the most valuable Red Wing IMO. When you think of Detroit, it's Yzerman and Howe, but watching these guys, thinking of Detroit, Lids is underrated - not overrated.

Give me Lidstrom. IMO, probably the best overall D ever.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Lidstrom is incredibly overrated. This should be yzerman easily.

Ummm... whaaaa?

I like Stevie and all but there's a reason Lidstrom was called the 'perfect human being' in the hockey world.

Lidstrom was the better player and Yzerman was the better Wing. Take your pick.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's tied exactly 23 to 23 right now. That's crazy. This is really close. And honestly? I didn't think it would be. I thought Yzerman would run away with it. So I'm really happy to see so many people appreciate what Lidstrom brought to the franchise. Having that elite defender for 20 years is incredible.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
It's close due to half the posters being 12.

Yzerman.

Shouldn't even be a poll. Howe. Yzerman. Lidstrom. Then start voting.

Add Larkin (no. Not really).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad