The Top 20 Red Wings of All-Time, #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Inspired by the Yzerman thread, I figured we'd go ahead and start this up.

Vote, discuss, and post an addition if you want.

We'll keep each poll open for 48 hours or so.

My personal rankings would be to judge each player on their contributions to the Red Wings, but since everyone is different, each person's rankings may be different.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not sure how you could vote for someone other than Gordie for this. I think the second spot is more interesting where we see St. Nick going against The Captain.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
I'm not sure how you could vote for someone other than Gordie for this. I think the second spot is more interesting where we see St. Nick going against The Captain.

My thinking as well.

I'll probably end up closing this one by tomorrow and starting the second one, which is where I see a lot of discussion and debate starting.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

As clear as you think Howe should be #1, I think it's just as obvious Steve should be #2.

The man was the catalyst for the success the Red Wings have had for 20+ years. He was a warrior, a gentleman, an elite hockey player. Lidstrom is one of the best defensemen of all time, but he wasn't the heart and soul like Yzerman was to me.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Anyone have any suggestions for an add?

I grabbed 20 players at random off of a top 30 list but am not sure if anyone else has anyone they want to vote on.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Anyone have any suggestions for an add?

I grabbed 20 players at random off of a top 30 list but am not sure if anyone else has anyone they want to vote on.

Osgood should come in ahead of several of the guys already listed here in my opinion.

Also Ebbie Goodfellow is a no-brainer in terms of an add, the biggest omission in my opinion.

Quackenbush should also be listed ahead of other names here.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I would have probably voted for Gordie but I've never seen him so I just voted yzerman. I expect mr hockey to win

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Next round is tough. I think Yzerman personifies the Red Wings during his tenure. But Lidstrom was probably the better player... so...

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
If I could pick one red wing player to represent our organization, the guy who I think is the greatest Wing ever, it's a no brainer for me. The Captain, Steve Yzerman.
Gordie is a top 5 player of all time
Lids is a top 5 defender of all time
But there is only one guy known as the captain, the greatest captain we've had.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Señor Hockey is my choice. On a side note, I think Sawchuk is the guy that gets overlooked the most. He put up numbers that took future goalies decades to come near.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Señor Hockey is my choice. On a side note, I think Sawchuk is the guy that gets overlooked the most. He put up numbers that took future goalies decades to come near.

Yeah he's pretty underrated for one of the best goalies of all time

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
Went with Mr. Hockey. Between him, stevie and Lids it's kind of a toss up since I never got to see Mr. Hockey play. All three contributed a ton to this organization and were all very important Wings.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
I find it hard to compare players from back in the days with players that I actually have experienced during their active careers. My list, since 1995, when I started following DRW would probably look something like this:

1. Lidström
2. Yzerman
3. Fedorov
4. Datsyuk
5. Zetterberg
6. Shanahan
7. Chelios
8. Konstantinov
9. Osgood
10. Hasek
11. Larionov
12. Kronwall
13. Draper
14. Rafalski
15. Vernon
16. Maltby
17. Holmström
18. Cleary
19. Kozlov
20. McCarty

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I find it hard to compare players from back in the days with players that I actually have experienced during their active careers. My list, since 1995, when I started following DRW would probably look something like this:

1. Lidström
2. Yzerman
3. Fedorov
4. Datsyuk
5. Zetterberg
6. Shanahan
7. Chelios
8. Konstantinov
9. Osgood
10. Hasek
11. Larionov
12. Kronwall
13. Draper
14. Rafalski
15. Vernon
16. Maltby
17. Holmström
18. Cleary
19. Kozlov
20. McCarty

I don't know why people have hasek. He wasn't that great of a wing. He only played for a couple years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad