The Top 20 Greatest Enforcers Of All Time

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
...At least f my lifetime anyway. Not sure if this has been done here before, but if not here's my stab at it. Where I rank them, and also why.

Very hard for me to include some of the older fighters in my list, but that is only because what I have seen of them is old crappy footage, or just not enough to footage to make an accurate decision on where to list them all time. Here's my top 20of my lifetime anyway!

Hope any of you fight fans enjoy!

1) Bob Probert- Greatest heavyweight of all time. Not too much else to say that hasn't been said about him already in this thread. Probert did have it all, strong as an ox, reputation, punching power, stamina, balance, and a vicious temper. He was he total package, and never in his career could I really remember saying he didn't do his job. The guy stood the test of time. Never ducked anyone, especially the up and comers that a lot of vets think they are too good for. Almost always avenged his losses. Excellent fight card through the years. And fought and beat just about every heavy of his time...and the ones that beat him paid for it in the rematch.

2) Dave Brown- Maybe the best lefty in the game ever. I did get a good look at Brownie over the years, and IMO he definitely deserves the number 2 slot. Vicious punching power, size, strength, and good balance and at times a bigger rep that Probie had. I remember hearing other NHL enforcers claiming he was the best. That says a lot, coming from the guys he was fighting. He was one of the nicest guys off the ice, but on the ice, he was one of the meanest guys out there.

3) Behn Wilson- In the 30 minutes of footage that I have of him. I have to put him at number 3. If I had more footage, I might even rank him higher. He reminds me a lot of Probert. Mean SOB, with all the tools that Probie seemed to have. Size, strength, balance, and reputation. Also had very heavy hands. The one thing that I will never know for sure is what he did on a regular basis... I just don't remember that far back.

4) Marty McSorley- Another fighter who has stood the test of time. His stamina is legendary, and his fight card includes some of the best in the game. Another guy who was strong as an ox, and maybe he didn't have the best punching power, but he knew his role, and executed it well. McSorley had very few losses for a guy who did the deed as much as he did. Another guy that never ducked anyone too.

5) Clark Gillies- The guy was a monster. Kept a lot of people honest when he was on the ice. Vicious punching power, strong as hell. Probably should have fought more. In the fights I have seen of him he was dominating. First guy to ever p***yfy Dave Schultz. Everyone knew when he was on the ice. If he fought more, and had a bigger mean streak he could have been top 3.

6) Joey Kocur- My favorite fighter all time. Best puncher in the history of the game. Underrated accuracy, and a mean streak to go with it. Kocur definitely had one of the biggest reps ever. His biggest knock is his losses to lesser fighters like Raglan, Malakov, or Krupp etc. But always did his job, no matter how bad his hands were. Totally knew his role. His fight card is suspect, and I'm not so sure about his years in Detroit, but while with the Rangers he never ducked anyone. There were plenty of fighters to duck him during that time thought like a prime Brad May. I wish he would have danced with Dave Brown, I think that would have answered a lot of questions about how good he really was. Put McSorley in front of him, only for McSorleys win record which I think is a little better. Major wins over some of the leagues toughest opposition. Probert, Grimson, McSorley, Miller, May, Baumgartner etc.

7) Nicky Fotiu- Very talented fighter. Definitely kept a lot of players in check, but still I think the knock on him was his fight card. Should have fought more, a lot more and I think at the time there were players willing to go. In the ones that I have seen of him, he was a very skilled fighter. Some say he's the best ever, but if so why did he not have wars with Nystrom and Gillies? I think he lost to Nystrom later in his career, but during that rivalry he should have had at least 3 or 4 with each of them.

8) Glen Cochrane- Another guy who I only have limited footage of, but in what I have seen Cochrane was an animal. Size, power, skills. His fight with Bobby Nystrom was an eye opener. I have to put him above Nystrom after watching the footage. Played in a very tough era, and dismantled quite a few of the leagues elite fighters when he did.

9) Bobby Nystrom- If I did this list over in a week or so I may put Nystrom higher. I remember watching Islander/Ranger games as a kid and thinking that other than Fotiu who on the team there was nobody to take on Gillies or Nystrom. They may be the best 1, 2 combos of all time. Nystrom was a mean SOB also, and fought to win.

10) Tony Twist- Juiced up or not this guy was dominating in his day. Awesome puncher, and limited losses. Looked like he had a hard time finding people to fight him while in his prime. Thought he was the second coming of Joey Kocur, but his accident cut him short. IMO he would have been higher on the list if he played another 4 or 5 years. Classic stance, and had some great square-offs. Nobody swung for the fences more than him, cept for maybe Kocur!

11) Tim Hunter- Always thought he was a little on the boring side, but he was a great technical fighter. Not too many losses at all. Has excellent stamina, and balance. Strong as hell. Was a feared guy by other players, and has been mentioned by players as one of the toughest to ever play. Some of battles with McSorley and Odjick were legendary.

12) Tie Domi- A total freak of nature. Incredible chin, excellent stamina, and another fighter who stood the test of time. Love him or hate him, Tie Domi did his job, and did it well. Maybe the best sparkplug in the game especially in his early years. Tough to fight with his low center of gravity. Excellent fight card, is there anyone that he hasn't taken on? Some real big wins against some of the best the league has to offer. His wars with Rob Ray were incredible. Imagine Fotiu and Nystrom, or Gillies going at it like that?

13) Curt Fraser- Haven't seen enough of him, but in the little that I have seen I have to include him on the list. Awesome punching power. Devastating fighter. Look incredibly accurate, and obviously had KO power. Big win, and welcome to the league to a young Joey Kocur

14) Stu Grimson- Very tough guy, great punching power, strong, and his size made him tough to beat. Lacked good balance though. One of my favorite fighters, Grimson did his job well. He owned the league for a few seasons there in the mid 90's. He was the only guy to really have Darren Langdons number. If he locked you and and got the right going he was very tough to beat with his long reach.

15) Rob Ray- Gotta put him on the list. Has anyone ever KO'd or TKO'd more fighters than him? Maybe Kocur is up there also, but I can't take anything away from Rob Ray. Never saw a better turnaround in the fighter. He used to get his ass kicked every fight, but he found a way to turn it around. Huge wins over some of the league's best. The guy gave it to Dave Brown!!!

16) Craig Berube- The chief was an awesome fighter to watch over the years. His may have lacked punching power and his balance wasn't the best but he fought to win, and had some huge wins in his career. Domi and Probert to name a few. Totally did his job, and totally stood the test of time.

17) Stan Johnathan- Again limited in my footage, but what I have seen of him was just a damaging fighter. Punching power, and definitely fought to win. Great hand speed. Wish I got too see more of him. Would have loved to see him go with Domi!

18) Sandy McCarthy- Damn! what happened to this guy? Awesome toe to toe fighter. Took on everybody over the course of his career. Over his first 5 or 6 years in the league he had limited losses, but in the twilight he took a turn for the worse. At times forgot his role, and looked to become a goal scorer, but in his prime he had some serious wins over some great competition. IMO- did enough to make the top 20 list.

19) Darren Langdon- Wow! Maybe the best techical fighter ever! I guess he had to be as he wasen't the biggest or strongest guy. What he lacked in size though he made up for with the best stamina in any fighter I have ever seen, cept for maybe McSorley. Incredible counter puncher, won just about every second half of any fight I can remember him in.

20) Jay Miller- Had a great career in Boston and LA. What Miller lacked size, and punching power, he made up for it with stamina, and willingness. He did his job well, and didn't duck anyone. Amassed a ton of wins over his long career.

Left out some of the older fighters...mainly the nes before my time. It has been said by many in the fight community that Barry Beck never lost a fight. That may be true, but IMO he wasen't active enough. Can remember watching games as kid and thinking where is Barry during all this. He was good, but to categorize him as an enforcer to me was a stretch.

Also left out the Maloney's, Kurtenbeck's, and Playfair's- Only cause I didn't get to see too much if any of their ability. They were a little before my time...

Also note that I left any current players were also left off my list. And there are two that will certainly be added when they retire. Donald Brashear, and Georges Laraque might be two of the most devastating fighters to ever play the game. Incredible win/loss records, both have great fight cards, and both will probably wind up in the top 5 or 10 upon retirement.

Honorable Mentions- John Kordic, Darren Langdon, and Ken Baumgartner.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Great post. I'd consider putting O'Reilly in the list as well.

Even though he got the crapped kicked out of him by Gillies and Robinson, Dave Schultz should be considered as well.

GNick42

Can't see how Ferguson cannot be #1. Nilan should be top 10 as well.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Can't see how Ferguson cannot be #1. Nilan should be top 10 as well.
Ferguson wasn't that great. Mainly picked guys he knew he could beat and was famous for sucker punching. Kept well way from guys like Kurtenbach, Howe & Horton. Slashed Hull across the head & Hull beat the crap out of him.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Fergie played in the mid to late 60's. I have seen some footage of him in a fight against Sanderson I believe where he lost. Also have heard that Hull beat him a couple times too. Definately a legend, but I haven't heard people talk about him in the same way they did Kurtenbach, and Dan Maloney.

Plus they both were a little too far before my time.

For Nilan he had a very impressive career. Not too many guys were able to best Dave Brown. But I have almost ever Nilan fight on tape. The argument could be made for him, but I left him out for having more losses on his fight card than everyone on the top 20 list I made. In fact I think I would rank three other fighters in front of him before putting him on there. Semenko, Baumgartner, and John Kordic.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
How Tiger Williams couldn't crack the Top 20 and Jay *** Miller could is beyond my understanding.

Honestly Williams was a total warrior. One of a kind. Smaller than many he fought but had the heart of a lion, and th guy had balls of steel. With that said, here is why I left him off the list...

While Williams would fight anyone, he really wasen't the most talented fighter. He was smaller than a lot of the opposition, and he was super tough, the reality of it is he really didn't dominate any of the true enforcers of his time. Let alone earn a lot of clear victories over them either.

He got KO'd by battleship Kelly, he lost a couple times to Schultz, Gillies owned him, Howatt, who I believe was smaller than also him bested him, Maxwell, Semenko, Playfair and Plett also beat him. Jay Wells in his early years got the better of him, as did Neeley, Wendel Clark, and Hunter. But the guy also lost fights to Smyl, Gary Robert, and Mike Gartner of all people!

To add to that, I have Miller over him on the top 20 becuase he had a much better record against the top guys of his era, while losing far less battles than Williams did. Plus almost all of his fights were toe to toe slugfests, where as Williams to me was more of a hugger.

Miller in the 80's had some real classic battles. He had some tremendous wins against guys Nilan, Torrie Robertson, Gord Donnelly, Jimmy Mann, Craig Coxe, 1 win over Dave Brown, Jackson, John Kordic, Dave Semenko, Craig Berube, Darin Kimble, Alan May, Wayne Van Dorp, Todd Ewen, Hunter...his win column goes on and on while his losses were to some of the best of his time, and guys I had on the list higher than him. Dave Brown and Miller had some wars. I think he beat Miller about 5 times! John Kordic beat him a couple times too. Kocur beat himin ever fight they had which I believe was about 3. Probert also beat him too...but who hasen't the afore mentioned beaten?

Miller IMO warrants top ten for those reasons.

No question he was a tough SOB, but he never really dominated any of the oposition. So where he beat the Don Murdoch's, the Esa Tikkanen's the McDonald's and the Hillier's he struggled with the tougher oppposition of the time.

Last edited:

TheBannermen

Aug 2, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly Williams was a total warrior. One of a kind. Smaller than many he fought but had the heart of a lion, and th guy had balls of steel. With that said, here is why I left him off the list...

While Williams would fight anyone, he really wasen't the most talented fighter. He was smaller than a lot of the opposition, and he was super tough, the reality of it is he really didn't dominate any of the true enforcers of his time. Let alone earn a lot of clear victories over them either.

He got KO'd by battleship Kelly, he lost a couple times to Schultz, Gillies owned him, Howatt, who I believe was smaller than also him bested him, Maxwell, Semenko, Playfair and Plett also beat him. Jay Wells in his early years got the better of him, as did Neeley, Wendel Clark, and Hunter. But the guy also lost fights to Smyl, Gary Robert, and Mike Gartner of all people!

To add to that, I have Miller over him on the top 20 becuase he had a much better record against the top guys of his era, while losing far less battles than Williams did. Plus almost all of his fights were toe to toe slugfests, where as Williams to me was more of a hugger.

Miller in the 80's had some real classic battles. He had some tremendous wins against guys Nilan, Torrie Robertson, Gord Donnelly, Jimmy Mann, Craig Coxe, 1 win over Dave Brown, Jackson, John Kordic, Dave Semenko, Craig Berube, Darin Kimble, Alan May, Wayne Van Dorp, Todd Ewen, Hunter...his win column goes on and on while his losses were to some of the best of his time, and guys I had on the list higher than him. Dave Brown and Miller had some wars. I think he beat Miller about 5 times! John Kordic beat him a couple times too. Kocur beat himin ever fight they had which I believe was about 3. Probert also beat him too...but who hasen't the afore mentioned beaten?

Miller IMO warrants top ten for those reasons.

No question he was a tough SOB, but he never really dominated any of the oposition. So where he beat the Don Murdoch's, the Esa Tikkanen's the McDonald's and the Hillier's he struggled with the tougher oppposition of the time.

Fair assesment. There's no doubt Tiger lost more fights than he won. However, the role of an enforcer isn't to win fights. It's to get your team going by showing what you're willing to do. Tiger fought guys he had no business fighting. He left the ice a bloody mess countless times for his team. He also talked more **** than anyone I've ever seen. He was as good an agitator as he was bad a fighter. I just think when you have the most penalty minutes in NHL history and would drop the gloves with anyone and everyone, you crack the top 20 enforcers of all time.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Yeah...I probably should have titled it 20 best fighters of all time. You got a good point about defining the term enforcer.

GNick42

Ferguson wasn't that great. Mainly picked guys he knew he could beat and was famous for sucker punching. Kept well way from guys like Kurtenbach, Howe & Horton. Slashed Hull across the head & Hull beat the crap out of him.

Ferguson is a Hall-of-Famer. Other than Gillis the only HOF on that enforcer list. Fergie was a great leader, very competitor guy...he never kept away from anybody. You must be thinking of somebody else. He was league heavyweight champ from day one when he entered the league. When thru then heavyweight champ Ted Green in seconds.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Ferguson is a Hall-of-Famer. Other than Gillis the only HOF on that enforcer list. Fergie was a great leader, very competitor guy...he never kept away from anybody. You must be thinking of somebody else. He was league heavyweight champ from day one when he entered the league. When thru then heavyweight champ Ted Green in seconds.

Uhm, which Hall of Fame is that? certainly not the Hockey Hall of Fame. Also, Red Horner is another enforcer in the HHoF, and arguments could be made for many other old time players, but Horner specifically had the job of finishing what King Clancy started, making his job closer to the modern enforcer.

GNick42

Uhm, which Hall of Fame is that? certainly not the Hockey Hall of Fame. Also, Red Horner is another enforcer in the HHoF, and arguments could be made for many other old time players, but Horner specifically had the job of finishing what King Clancy started, making his job closer to the modern enforcer.

I thought he was in the HOF. Still, he was the toughest guy in his era

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Fair assesment. There's no doubt Tiger lost more fights than he won. However, the role of an enforcer isn't to win fights. It's to get your team going by showing what you're willing to do. Tiger fought guys he had no business fighting. He left the ice a bloody mess countless times for his team. He also talked more **** than anyone I've ever seen. He was as good an agitator as he was bad a fighter. I just think when you have the most penalty minutes in NHL history and would drop the gloves with anyone and everyone, you crack the top 20 enforcers of all time.

Agreed. The best fighter is not the best enforcer. And if you can actually play a regular shift like Nilan or Williams you are a ton more effective as an enforcer. Nilan HAS to be on the list. He OWNED the Bruins. He was very effective as an enforcer in the playoffs. Sure he lost a lot of fights but that is irrelevant.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I thought he was in the HOF. Still, he was the toughest guy in his era
Well, who did he beat, Green is maybe the only so called fighter (and Green didn't win too many) that he did beat and he probably sucker punched him. He pretty much fought guys he knew he could beat. He fought guys like Shack and Magnussen who were courageous but couldn't fight worth beans. Even then, he would sucker them & would throw 2 or 3 punches before his opponent knew there was a fight. He sure never challenged guys like Kurtenbach etc,

Last edited:

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Agreed. The best fighter is not the best enforcer. And if you can actually play a regular shift like Nilan or Williams you are a ton more effective as an enforcer. Nilan HAS to be on the list. He OWNED the Bruins. He was very effective as an enforcer in the playoffs. Sure he lost a lot of fights but that is irrelevant.

I have to agree here. The top enforcers should include guys who could play on the 3rd line - not only guys who play 2 minutes a game. For this reason, fighters like Domi & Nilan should figure prominently.

Nilan used to play with Gainey & Carboneau - shutting down the toher team's top line.

Domi scored a lot of goals later in his career & became a great 3rd liner.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
This wasnt his main role of course but what about Howe? His famous fight in 1959 with Loue Fontinato was legendary. He may not have HAD to fight much after that since no one tested him but it doesnt mean he didnt intimidate the other team. As a fighter there are few all time that were better IMO

Also again shying away from the enforcer label what about Lindros? Love him or hate him I cant think of a fight where he lost. I honestly cant right now. Scott Stevens? Finished. Joe Thornton? Well let's just say he had to wipe the blood from his eyes after fighting Lindros. Put Lindros up against the likes of Gillies, Ferguson and even Grimson and I see him coming out on top. Probert maybe not so much but Lindros could hold his own against anyone from any era pretty much.

Eventually Laraque will creep up this list higher, maybe even a top 5 when all is said and done. The fact that his pretty much the NHL's heavyweight champion right now and that he barely HAS to fight speaks volumes about how many guys shy away from him

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
5) Clark Gillies- . Probably should have fought more.
I'd disagree with that. A team doesn't need a consistent 30 goal scorer sitting in the penalty box. Gillies was happy to let his mere presence act as a deterrent. He didn't go looking for trouble. After his first few fights, nobody (except O'Reilly) wanted to challenge him. The fact that so many of the NHL heavyweights never tried their luck with Gillies speaks volumes about how much his fighting ability was respected.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
This wasnt his main role of course but what about Howe? His famous fight in 1959 with Loue Fontinato was legendary. He may not have HAD to fight much after that since no one tested him but it doesnt mean he didnt intimidate the other team. As a fighter there are few all time that were better IMO

Also again shying away from the enforcer label what about Lindros? Love him or hate him I cant think of a fight where he lost. I honestly cant right now. Scott Stevens? Finished. Joe Thornton? Well let's just say he had to wipe the blood from his eyes after fighting Lindros. Put Lindros up against the likes of Gillies, Ferguson and even Grimson and I see him coming out on top. Probert maybe not so much but Lindros could hold his own against anyone from any era pretty much.

Eventually Laraque will creep up this list higher, maybe even a top 5 when all is said and done. The fact that his pretty much the NHL's heavyweight champion right now and that he barely HAS to fight speaks volumes about how many guys shy away from him

Lindros is left off for the sole reason that the guy wasen't really an enforcer, just a monster power foward. But I won't deny that he racked up a lot of wins in the fight department. Problem with adding him to the list is that he just doesn't have the fight card. His fight card is loaded with 2nd tier fighters. Guys like Zmolek, Webb, Barnaby etc.

I will throw him big props for beating Stu Grimson, but fdor the most part he never really fought the big heavys.

All of the other guys I listed have fight cards that include the top fighters of thier time.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I'd disagree with that. A team doesn't need a consistent 30 goal scorer sitting in the penalty box. Gillies was happy to let his mere presence act as a deterrent. He didn't go looking for trouble. After his first few fights, nobody (except O'Reilly) wanted to challenge him. The fact that so many of the NHL heavyweights never tried their luck with Gillies speaks volumes about how much his fighting ability was respected.

Reckoning- You definately make a good point. He was truly feared, so it was probably hard for him to find a partner...plus he was one of the first true power fowards. He was more valuable on the ice.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I doubt that the tough guys in the league feared Gillies or anyone else. Dropyourgloves.com has him winning 61% of his fights,leaving 39% either tied or lost. I think he was slow to boil and smarter.

GNick42

Well, who did he beat, Green is maybe the only so called fighter (and Green didn't win too many) that he did beat and he probably sucker punched him. He pretty much fought guys he knew he could beat. He fought guys like Shack and Magnussen who were courageous but couldn't fight worth beans. Even then, he would sucker them & would throw 2 or 3 punches before his opponent knew there was a fight. He sure never challenged guys like Kurtenbach etc,

He beat everybody and anybody. At the Forum one night he beat the snot out of Shack. Seen him beat Magnus9on, I think you were thinking of Terry Harper. Kind of a scrapper but a bit of a bleeder. But Ferguson was league champ

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
He beat everybody and anybody. At the Forum one night he beat the snot out of Shack. Seen him beat Magnus9on, I think you were thinking of Terry Harper. Kind of a scrapper but a bit of a bleeder. But Ferguson was league champ
I know who the hell John Ferguson was & DO NOT have him mixed up with Terry Harper. You obviously did not read my post, Of course he beat Magnusson & Shack. Neither one of them could fight & Fergusion took unfair advabtage with sucker punches. When he fought shack, kurtenback was on the team but Fergy stayed well clear of him. Fergy only fought guys he knew he could beat, Before you reply again read my post.

he didn't beat anybody & everbody, Bobby Hull beat the crap out of him and would have done it again (playing with a broken jaw) but Fergy backed off. Take off your Habs glasses & face the facts-Fergy wasm't that good.

GNick42

I know who the hell John Ferguson was & DO NOT have him mixed up with Terry Harper. You obviously did not read my post, Of course he beat Magnusson & Shack. Neither one of them could fight & Fergusion took unfair advabtage with sucker punches. When he fought shack, kurtenback was on the team but Fergy stayed well clear of him. Fergy only fought guys he knew he could beat, Before you reply again read my post.

he didn't beat anybody & everbody, Bobby Hull beat the crap out of him and would have done it again (playing with a broken jaw) but Fergy backed off. Take off your Habs glasses & face the facts-Fergy wasm't that good.

Fergy was tough guy of the league. Hull couldn't beat him if he two guys helping him. Hull couldn't fight...Kurtenback was tough but Fergy never nobody. I seen him 20-30 fight tough guys...never been beat!!

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Fergy was tough guy of the league. Hull couldn't beat him if he two guys helping him. Hull couldn't fight...Kurtenback was tough but Fergy never nobody. I seen him 20-30 fight tough guys...never been beat!!
Ignorance is bliss, they say. Don't let the facts get in the way. Hull did beat him. Hull like many players didn't look for fights but whem neandertals like Ferguson attacked him with their sticks would & could fight very well. Kurtenbach also didn't look for fights but was the best fighter in the league. List the 20-30 tough guys that fergy beat. I am sure we won't see names like Kurtenbach, Howe, & Hull on that list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad