The Tom Gilbert Appreciation Thread

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
We were fast to get on his back at the beginning of the season. But he has settled down and he plays quite some minutes now without you really noticing him, which is a good sign. He's also pretty good on the point and really has an ability to keep the puck in. Has been a very stable D for the last few games and thought I should point it out.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...he's exactly where he should be, on the 3rd pairing with Beaulieu...let's see how he fairs again when Therrien inexplicably puts Weaver or Allen back in and sends Bro back down...:cry:

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
His play has been quietly improving especially with limited minutes. I did noticed him blocking several shots tonight. I would like to see him on the 3rd pairing for an extended period of time. Think him and Beaulieu makes a pretty good duo. However, I rather want to see Nathan on the 2nd wave of the PP instead of Tom.

CreamOfTheCrop

Jan 13, 2009
Montreal
One year ago, at the beginning of 2013-2014, Gilbert couldn't find a job, he signed with Florida for 900k.

How could this guy be paid 2.8m/ year ?

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
One year ago, at the beginning of 2013-2014, Gilbert couldn't find a job, he signed with Florida for 900k.

Because he was playing top minutes with Campbell last season and actually had good advanced statistics despite playing against tough competition?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

It was in large part due to the dropping cap, not a lot of money for teams on UFA's. The top guys got the big bucks and everybody else had to take what they could. Hainsey was in the same situation and this off season he signed for 3 years at 2.8 mil AAV.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
His play has been quietly improving especially with limited minutes. I did noticed him blocking several shots tonight. I would like to see him on the 3rd pairing for an extended period of time. Think him and Beaulieu makes a pretty good duo. However, I rather want to see Nathan on the 2nd wave of the PP instead of Tom.

Agree 100%. It's so obvious and that's why it's so frustrating to see MT not put these types of things into practice.

Beaulieu in the lineup and playing on the 2nd PP unit over Gilbert who does nothing on the PP. Do it MT.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
...he's exactly where he should be, on the 3rd pairing with Beaulieu...let's see how he fairs again when Therrien inexplicably puts Weaver or Allen back in and sends Bro back down...:cry:

The problem is, with our defense group right now i think he belongs on the 2nd pairing. We need at least 1 more top 4 dman!! Im not convice yet that Emelin is a top 4 dman, when he is on the top of is game he's an excellent 4 but when he'S off and that happen way too often you dont even want him in your lineup. He really need to improve is consistancy. The way i see it, we have 2x top2 and 6x 5-6...

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

He is simply doing his job quietly in Montreal.

3 shots last night, 5 blocked shots and 0 giveaways.

With the Habs getting badly outshot by the Kings, the Habs need players willing to block a shot.

Quietly, he has become a dependable DMan when it comes to defense.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
The problem is, with our defense group right now i think he belongs on the 2nd pairing. We need at least 1 more top 4 dman!! Im not convice yet that Emelin is a top 4 dman, when he is on the top of is game he's an excellent 4 but when he'S off and that happen way too often you dont even want him in your lineup. He really need to improve is consistancy. The way i see it, we have 2x top2 and 6x 5-6...

What more do you require from Emelin?

Another point last night, 25+ minutes, some hits and 4 blocked shots.

Emelin is 3rd on the team for DMan scoring.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He's been fine for quite some time now. He had a rough couple of games 2-3 weeks ago when he was paired with Allen for a couple of games.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
People are pretty ridiculous with their "Emelin isn't a top 4 dman" bit. Emelin is a top 4 dman on most teams in the league. You'd have the same complaints about Hjalmarsson or Hamhuis or Mitchell or Sekera or Gorges or Dillon or whoever else you say would be a good fit here. Emelin would be in Chicago's top 4 as he's clearly better than Oduya. He'd be in LA's current top 4 over Regehr. He'd be in Tampa's top 4 over Carle. Maybe he wouldn't be in Pittsburgh's top 4 if you value Maatta's play highly. He'd probably be on Detroit's top pairing. He'd likely not be in Anaheim's top 4, but would play against better competition at ES than Vatanen. He would be in Nashville's top 4. He would be St. Louis' #4.

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
He is simply doing his job quietly in Montreal.

3 shots last night, 5 blocked shots and 0 giveaways.

With the Habs getting badly outshot by the Kings, the Habs need players willing to block a shot.

Quietly, he has become a dependable DMan when it comes to defense.

He's been fine for quite some time now. He had a rough couple of games 2-3 weeks ago when he was paired with Allen for a couple of games.

Yeah, he's playing with a young PMD, they both look much more composed with the puck too, Gilbert's been a solid add.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Gilbert does his job well. He's a good 4-5 guy, and is paid like one. He's not the greatet fit for Therrien's "system", but he blocks shots, moves the puck and plays generally sound positional hockey. Needs to be paired with another fleet of foot defenceman though.

People are pretty ridiculous with their "Emelin isn't a top 4 dman" bit. Emelin is a top 4 dman on most teams in the league. You'd have the same complaints about Hjalmarsson or Hamhuis or Mitchell or Sekera or Gorges or Dillon or whoever else you say would be a good fit here. Emelin would be in Chicago's top 4 as he's clearly better than Oduya. He'd be in LA's current top 4 over Regehr. He'd be in Tampa's top 4 over Carle. Maybe he wouldn't be in Pittsburgh's top 4 if you value Maatta's play highly. He'd probably be on Detroit's top pairing. He'd likely not be in Anaheim's top 4, but would play against better competition at ES than Vatanen. He would be in Nashville's top 4. He would be St. Louis' #4.

The only two players you name dropped who Emelin is arguably better than is Gorges, Mitchell and Carle. And they aren't exactly playing even average hockey right now. Everyone else is clearly better than Emelin, from the eye test to advanced stats.

Regehr isn't even a for sure top-4 D in LA right now. None of your estimations of where he'd line up on other teams is accurate either. He's not Top pairing in Detroit? Have you seen Dekeyser and Smith play. He's on par with Ericsson. Ask Detroit fans what they think of him. And Nashville? Have you seen Ellis, Ekholm and Josi this year? That's excluding Jones. He'd be number 6 on that team, just ahead of Volchenkov.

Emelin is a valuable defenseman, but He's not a top 4 guy, unless he's paired with someone that can make up for his many blunders and lack of puck movement. He should not have the 2nd highest ES TOI.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He's like a Diaz is the sense that his errors seem maginified, yet his positives are outright ignored. I'm content with Gilbert. If he can be our #5, I'm happy. If he's expected to be a top 4 d-man long term, I'm not so happy.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
Gilbert does his job well. He's a good 4-5 guy, and is paid like one. He's not the greatet fit for Therrien's "system", but he blocks shots, moves the puck and plays generally sound positional hockey. Needs to be paired with another fleet of foot defenceman though.

The only two players you name dropped who Emelin is arguably better than is Gorges, Mitchell and Carle. And they aren't exactly playing even average hockey right now. Everyone else is clearly better than Emelin, from the eye test to advanced stats.

Regehr isn't even a for sure top-4 D in LA right now. None of your estimations of where he'd line up on other teams is accurate either. He's not Top pairing in Detroit? Have you seen Dekeyser and Smith play. He's on par with Ericsson. Ask Detroit fans what they think of him. And Nashville? Have you seen Ellis, Ekholm and Josi this year? That's excluding Jones. He'd be number 6 on that team, just ahead of Volchenkov.

Emelin is a valuable defenseman, but He's not a top 4 guy, unless he's paired with someone that can make up for his many blunders and lack of puck movement. He should not have the 2nd highest ES TOI.

I don't see Emelin making many blunders to be honest. He doesn't move the puck extremely well but if he's not a top 4 guy I don't see where he fits.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

If we had Hjalmarsson, he'd be our #2 and we would have no complaints about him whatsoever. Sekera and Hamhuis the same - they'd complete out d-core. Dillon or Gorges, yeah, they should be your #4 at best. At least Dillon still has upside - he's been really good for SJ. Mitchell... :laugh:

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
I was hard on him at the beggining of the season but he has really turned it around last few games. Good defensively, isn't affraid to support the attack and mainly doesn't cause too much turnovers. Perfect no.5 dman. 2,8 m$ is now the price to pay for a bottom pairing dman.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I have no complaints about Gilbert 9r Weaver. They serve a purpose until Beaulieu and Tinordi beome more consistent. Theyre clear improvements over Bouillon and Murray and are much more useful than Allen.

Apr 28, 2010
He's settled down lately for sure but how come he doesn't throw his body more often? Would be nice to see him use his body and have this mean, aggressive attitude. His body is built for hitting. Old man Gonchar has more hits in less games.

But he does have the most blocks though..

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I have no complaints about Gilbert 9r Weaver. They serve a purpose until Beaulieu and Tinordi beome more consistent. Theyre clear improvements over Bouillon and Murray and are much more useful than Allen.

When Weaver gets back from his injury, he should remain in the Press Box and used only for injury replacement or to give Gonchar a day off to rest.

Other than that, dont see any use for him as he is not better than Beaulieu and should never be considered a replacement for Gilbert.

Allen got rid of Bourque so for that...thank you kind sir. Enjoy your year's paid vacation.

bentheprop

Oct 28, 2006
St Catharines, ON
He's settled down lately for sure but how come he doesn't throw his body more often? Would be nice to see him use his body and have this mean, aggressive attitude. His body is built for hitting. Old man Gonchar has more hits in less games.

But he does have the most blocks though..

It has to be coaching. You don't go from being a big hitter to playing a softer game unless you're injured or the coach tells you to. PK doesn't exactly line up the big hits like he used to either. I'm pretty sure that it's discouraged due to the system that they're playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad