Line Combos: The Third Line

putabergeronthegrill

Oct 31, 2011
Don't let your own density cloud the FACT that "one of the best players in the league for the past 5 years" has done precisely JACK SQUAT since donning the spoked-B.

It's not about then ... It's about now.

classic "what have you done for me lately" ideal. you do realize how mocked such statements can be everywhere else that isn't a message board?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
You know you have an abundance of riches when you have Loui Eriksson on the third line.

And Loui is only about 60-70% right now. Hes where Patrice was first year back from the JOnes hit.

Im glad he is playing with King Carl Swedes like to play together and hopefully it helps us lock him up long term this summer. Im sure Carl Soderberg does not want anyone other than Loui on his wing and his preference is what counts really.

Getting those 2 a good linemate is very important though. That could be the difference between us and Chicago.

Erikkson is having a miserable season by his standards but hes still contributing. If he plays well in the playoffs I will completely overlook and right off his struggles.

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
About the same as Bergeron after getting his noggin scrambled. So the Swede gets a mulligan for me this season.

I agree, but the troubling thing to me was that he looked no different in the beginning of the season, before his bell was twice rung.

He's been a completely different player here than he was in Dallas. I hope he can get it together.

dtam83

Jun 8, 2011
Boston
I agree, but the troubling thing to me was that he looked no different in the beginning of the season, before his bell was twice rung.

He's been a completely different player here than he was in Dallas. I hope he can get it together.

I think he was on the wrong line to begin the year. two of pretty much the same player (him and bergy...talking about mindset, not skillset) and that line was not explosive at all though they were showing signs of life when Loui had his first concussion. slow start when he got back but he started to have some chemistry again and bam, another concussion. It'll take him time to become comfortable but you can see him improving everyday

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

same can be said of Marchand and he didn't have the new team excuse. Hell Claude Giroux had an awful start to this season. It happens, even to really good players. Loui just had the misfortune of following up a slow start with 2 injuries so he still hasn't really gotten it going all the way yet. I think he has gotten better every game since his last return though, but some people are waiting for him to completely take over a game before they give him any credit.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
And Loui is only about 60-70% right now. Hes where Patrice was first year back from the JOnes hit.

Im glad he is playing with King Carl Swedes like to play together and hopefully it helps us lock him up long term this summer. Im sure Carl Soderberg does not want anyone other than Loui on his wing and his preference is what counts really.

Getting those 2 a good linemate is very important though. That could be the difference between us and Chicago.

Erikkson is having a miserable season by his standards but hes still contributing. If he plays well in the playoffs I will completely overlook and right off his struggles.

Why not play Paille with them?

If you are missing a 3rd line to compete agsint the Champs, Paille would perfectly complement them.

Easier to find a 4th liner than a 3rd liner....

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Ericsson-Soderberg-Paille
Thornton-Kelly-Campbell
Spooner/Fraser

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Why not play Paille with them?

If you are missing a 3rd line to compete agsint the Champs, Paille would perfectly complement them.

Easier to find a 4th liner than a 3rd liner....

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Ericsson-Soderberg-Paille
Thornton-Kelly-Campbell
Spooner/Fraser

Agreed.

I pulled my hair out last playoffs refusing to promote Paille and demote Kelly.

Its disgraceful.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
same can be said of Marchand and he didn't have the new team excuse. Hell Claude Giroux had an awful start to this season. It happens, even to really good players. Loui just had the misfortune of following up a slow start with 2 injuries so he still hasn't really gotten it going all the way yet. I think he has gotten better every game since his last return though, but some people are waiting for him to completely take over a game before they give him any credit.

Yeah, Im happy if he has a good playoffs and chips in some points with Carl down the stretch.

Hes above a .5 ppg pace despite the awful start and injuries I can live with that in an off year.

He does need to hit 50 points most years going forward though.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Kelly/Yeti/Loui aka the KEY line had a good game last night. They did everything but score. Kelly looks ok now that he has been back for a few games. I don't mind him on that line since Claude at least decided to stick with Yeti at center.

Hopefully they can keep trending upward. With the top 2 lines showing no signs of slowing down, this team is going to be scary good if line 3 can find a groove as well.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Kelly/Yeti/Loui aka the KEY line had a good game last night. They did everything but score. Kelly looks ok now that he has been back for a few games. I don't mind him on that line since Claude at least decided to stick with Yeti at center.

Hopefully they can keep trending upward. With the top 2 lines showing no signs of slowing down, this team is going to be scary good if line 3 can find a groove as well.

As someone who hopes that line isn't together past this season, I'm comfortable not giving them a name.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

I feel the same way.It is somewhat disappointing that expectations have had to be lowered in regards to Loui,instead of a legit 1st line winger,I am just hoping he can be a solid 3rd line guy.It does not look like Loui can contribute offensively,regularly,but playing on the 3rd line,he doesn't have to.

panny2727

Oct 12, 2010
honestly I went overboard last week thinking soderberg was not the answer to a cup.
paille and Campbell do so man things well for this team in the playoffs its hard to break it up. Sean Thornton is soo key to the teams success with accountability reasons on a shift per shift basis. He's a player coach that would knock you out if you derail from the tracks. the third line is not getting any better unless they trade Kelly and something for a much better center/winger at this point, but he damn well better be as accountable as Kelly...After the last 10 I am gaining more confidence in doing nothing and rolling the dice with the current roster. Maybe I get a veteran D-man but not so worried if I don't.....

I like this squad and think that it has a real good chance at pulling off another cup. I think its good to go and coming together at the best time.

starting to come together pepper...starting to come together...
these guys aren't so ****in bad...

we shall call them "The Three Norseman"

Last edited:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
honestly I went overboard last week thinking soderberg was not the answer to a cup.
paille and Campbell do so man things well for this team in the playoffs its hard to break it up. Sean Thornton is soo key to the teams success with accountability reasons on a shift per shift basis. He's a player coach that would knock you out if you derail from the tracks. the third line is not getting any better unless they trade Kelly and something for a much better center/winger at this point, but he damn well better be as accountable as Kelly...After the last 10 I am gaining more confidence in doing nothing and rolling the dice with the current roster. Maybe I get a veteran D-man but not so worried if I don't.....

I like this squad and think that it has a real good chance at pulling off another cup. I think its good to go and coming together at the best time.

starting to come together pepper...starting to come together...
these guys aren't so ****in bad...

we shall call them "The Three Norseman"
I think Soderberg is going to shine in the playoffs.He really is good enough to be in the top 6.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I'm the opposite. I love Perron. He's such a pest and he's seriously skilled. He actually reminds me of Marchand. I'd love to have him on this team (on Krejci's RW).

I've actually made a few (off-season) trade proposals for him on the main board. Things like Boychuk and Svedberg for Perron… Edmonton fans are tough though. If a guy's having a good week they wouldn't trade him for Bergeron. But a potential franchise player who's having a bad season, like Yakupov or Eberle, is available to plug holes.

Didn't the Bruins try and trade Kessel for Perron way back when? I like Perron, but I don't think we need another pest

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Eriksson with Soda is what will work in the long run. Will Kelly work with them, who knows but he is what is here for now and that is a damn good 3rd.

Look around the league and tell me who is a better third line?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Eriksson with Soda is what will work in the long run. Will Kelly work with them, who knows but he is what is here for now and that is a damn good 3rd.

Look around the league and tell me who is a better third line?

your brave coming here suggesting anything other than Kelly is an overpaid 4th liner getting 3rd line minutes:laugh:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Didn't the Bruins try and trade Kessel for Perron way back when? I like Perron, but I don't think we need another pest

Yep. Kessel for Perron and a UFA-to-be Tkachuk.

Fwiw, he's not just a pest. Like Marchand, he's got a really high skill level, he's fearless and he plays in the dirty areas. He's on pace for 32 goals at a modest cap hit. Those are all things we could use, especially if/when Iginla moves on. (The pesky/pia stuff is just bonus. :)

Scotch3m

Feb 6, 2014
Hey all, first time long time...And I'm not sure where to vent, so hopefully this is ok! Anyway, I was reading through some GDT comments, like I always do after a game, and came across a couple posts about how Warsofsky was redundant, expendable, Krug lite, the wrong person to call up, etc... I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about that in regards to Eriksson and Bergeron?

I don't want to start off by bugging anyone, but does anyone else think that we probably should have gotten more out of Seguin? I mean, trading a 2nd overall, young, Stanley Cup winning stud should return something equally sought after, yeah? I can't help but feel tremendously underwhelmed by Eriksson. Understandably, he was injured and is learning a new system, but solid defensive and offensive board play, shooting the puck, and all out hustle and desire has more to do with individual instinctive skill more than the "system", right? Smith has been a great surprise(thank God), and didn't look like he had much trouble adjusting when he got here, hell, he's even having a career year with Boston's "super way hard to learn/ excuse for bad play system."

Even if he is just adjusting slowly, and coming back from his injuries, shouldn't we start seeing some form of excellence in his play- even just flashes of a potential first line RW? Because right now he looks and plays like a third line winger, and... I guess it just bums me out, ha. Not that I wanted to keep Seguin, just that I think that we could have done better.

So, I was under the impression that we were in a small window to win now, and I just think that we could have gotten a legitimate first line winger for someone with Seguin's value- not quality for quantity type thing. Thoughts? Go Bruins everyone!

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I think he was on the wrong line to begin the year. two of pretty much the same player (him and bergy...talking about mindset, not skillset) and that line was not explosive at all though they were showing signs of life when Loui had his first concussion. slow start when he got back but he started to have some chemistry again and bam, another concussion. It'll take him time to become comfortable but you can see him improving everyday

I totally agree,he was on a new team with a new system and probably on the wrong line,throw in 2 concussions and what the hell are people thinking? Bergeron wasn't right for 2 years and has never regained his early offensive trend.

member 96824

Yep. Kessel for Perron and a UFA-to-be Tkachuk.

Fwiw, he's not just a pest. Like Marchand, he's got a really high skill level, he's fearless and he plays in the dirty areas. He's on pace for 32 goals at a modest cap hit. Those are all things we could use, especially if/when Iginla moves on. (The pesky/pia stuff is just bonus. :)

Still better than the potential Kaberle deal but yuck. Mind blowing how low we were willing to sell Kessel for.

I am bias, as I was stuck watching Perron night in and night out last year. He's definitely skilled, and I haven't watched him in Edmonton, so maybe his game has changed up, but in St. Louis...his skill was trying to do it all by himself via stickhandling. Kid has maybe the softest hands in the league, but man it could be frustrating. A nickname I kept hearing for him out there was "dipsy doodle"

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hey all, first time long time...And I'm not sure where to vent, so hopefully this is ok! Anyway, I was reading through some GDT comments, like I always do after a game, and came across a couple posts about how Warsofsky was redundant, expendable, Krug lite, the wrong person to call up, etc... I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about that in regards to Eriksson and Bergeron?

I don't want to start off by bugging anyone, but does anyone else think that we probably should have gotten more out of Seguin? I mean, trading a 2nd overall, young, Stanley Cup winning stud should return something equally sought after, yeah? I can't help but feel tremendously underwhelmed by Eriksson. Understandably, he was injured and is learning a new system, but solid defensive and offensive board play, shooting the puck, and all out hustle and desire has more to do with individual instinctive skill more than the "system", right? Smith has been a great surprise(thank God), and didn't look like he had much trouble adjusting when he got here, hell, he's even having a career year with Boston's "super way hard to learn/ excuse for bad play system."

Even if he is just adjusting slowly, and coming back from his injuries, shouldn't we start seeing some form of excellence in his play- even just flashes of a potential first line RW? Because right now he looks and plays like a third line winger, and... I guess it just bums me out, ha. Not that I wanted to keep Seguin, just that I think that we could have done better.

So, I was under the impression that we were in a small window to win now, and I just think that we could have gotten a legitimate first line winger for someone with Seguin's value- not quality for quantity type thing. Thoughts? Go Bruins everyone!

Welcome and grab your Tylenol, you`ll need it

I`m not a believer that this team is now in a small window. Clearly, as Z isn`t getting younger, things will change but I think were seeing Chia and Co in the midst of designing a team built on speed and transition with the kids they have on the back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad