Speculation: The Team Presidency Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
a President of Hockey Ops doesn't run the day to day tasks of the team, they should be delegating the best people for those positions.

This is why I think Gillis would be the best, he can create the structure of the organization, hire the best people for those roles, and focus on improving the team outside of developing the players themselves. In the same manner, he employed sleep doctors, trainers, and nutritionists while he was here.

From his current spot on 1040, his idea of what a management team should look like sounds so good. A GM with up to 4 AGM's handling different tasks is music to my ears compared to Jim and John taking on everything and seemingly unprepared for almost everything.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Did you catch Gillis' recent radio interview? He basically said the only opportunity he'd return to the NHL for would have to involve total independence from ownership and no interference in his job. That's like him telling the Aquilini's to screw off. The only way I could possibly imagine him coming back is if ownership could somehow convince him (contractually or otherwise) that they'd take a step back from hockey ops. I can't really see any of that happening.

Yup fully aware, but it will be awesome.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
a President of Hockey Ops doesn't run the day to day tasks of the team, they should be delegating the best people for those positions.

This is why I think Gillis would be the best, he can create the structure of the organization, hire the best people for those roles, and focus on improving the team outside of developing the players themselves. In the same manner, he employed sleep doctors, trainers, and nutritionists while he was here.

They also hired a witch doctor to remove gm place of the negative karma, and also renovated our locker room to be circular instead of triangle so there will no corners.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
They also hired a witch doctor to remove gm place of the negative karma, and also renovated our locker room to be circular instead of triangle so there will no corners.

That sounds weirdly plausible.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

Knowing nothing about him except the fact he's Wayne's brother a quick google search tells me he was the the Coyotes director of amateur scouting from 2006 until 2011 and then for the Bruins from 2014 until 2016,their first rounders in that time frame are

3rd - Turris
6th - OEL
8th - Boedker
13th - Gormley
20th - Connor Murphy
27th - Visentin
28th - Tikhonov
30th - Nick Ross

Outside the first round the picks worth mentioning are Mike Stone at 69th then Oscar Lindberg, Darling and Domingue

In Boston
24th - Pastranak
13th - Zboril,
14th - DeBrusk
15th - Seneshyn
14th - McAvoy
29th - Frederic

Outside the first Donato, Heinen, Carlo, Forsbacka-Karlsson

edit:
The Bruins Admitted They Purposely Drafted A Third Line Grinder In The First Round

“[Frederic] is not going to be a top-two-line guy, we know that,” Bruins director of amateur scouting Keith Gretzky told reporters at the draft, according to Steve Conroy of the Boston Herald. “But he has some jam. He plays hard with the penalty minutes. We were fortunate to get him.

:laugh:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Knowing nothing about him except the fact he's Wayne's brother a quick google search tells me he was the the Coyotes director of amateur scouting from 2006 until 2011 and then for the Bruins from 2014 until 2016,their first rounders in that time frame are

3rd - Turris
6th - OEL
8th - Boedker
13th - Gormley
20th - Connor Murphy
27th - Visentin
28th - Tikhonov
30th - Nick Ross

Outside the first round the picks worth mentioning are Mike Stone at 69th then Oscar Lindberg, Darling and Domingue

In Boston
24th - Pastranak
13th - Zboril,
14th - DeBrusk
15th - Seneshyn
14th - McAvoy
29th - Frederic

Outside the first Donato, Heinen, Carlo, Forsbacka-Karlsson

edit:
The Bruins Admitted They Purposely Drafted A Third Line Grinder In The First Round

:laugh:

Don't need another scout, this team needs a manager.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Really really dumb move by ownership to allow Benning to go into his last year of his contract without either..

A) getting fired
B) getting an extension

His back is against the wall. Hes going to do something that will help his cause NOW...not be patient for the future. And can you blame him ...

If you had a 7 figure job..wouldnt you do whatever it takes to save your job and produce instant results.

He doesnt have the luxury of being patient under these conditions .

Canucks need to hire a president ASAP go over see Benning and veto any possible reactionary moves.

The president either needs to fire or extend Benning.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Have not listened, but this seems topical:

The Patcast: A Presidential Patcast

It has been interesting watching Botchford try to tapdance through this. He did not take responsibility for a rumor that was suggested by someone else even though he has repeated it as fact many times (that's all he does TBH) but then tried to knock down the owner's credibility in an unconvincing way on the issue.

If you get your guy to put out feelers to a team another exec is under contract with them it is the same as talking to them. Everyone knows this and the owner did not suggest that was the case. If you have proof we keep asking and Lombardi is sick of us asking, we need some proof, we heard straight from the horse's mouth in an unambiguous way that this was not the case. Bad reporter. Bad reporting.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Really really dumb move by ownership to allow Benning to go into his last year of his contract without either..

A) getting fired
B) getting an extension

His back is against the wall. Hes going to do something that will help his cause NOW...not be patient for the future. And can you blame him ...

If you had a 7 figure job..wouldnt you do whatever it takes to save your job and produce instant results.

He doesnt have the luxury of being patient under these conditions .

Canucks need to hire a president ASAP go over see Benning and veto any possible reactionary moves.

The president either needs to fire or extend Benning.

Actually benning has 2 seasons left with a club option of keeping him or not for the last season. But I agree we need a manager not a scout.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

member 290103

Keith Gretzky. LOL. Yes, let's get the Oiler's management cast-offs - brilliant strategy.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
It has been interesting watching Botchford try to tapdance through this. He did not take responsibility for a rumor that was suggested by someone else even though he has repeated it as fact many times (that's all he does TBH) but then tried to knock down the owner's credibility in an unconvincing way on the issue.

If you get your guy to put out feelers to a team another exec is under contract with them it is the same as talking to them. Everyone knows this and the owner did not suggest that was the case. If you have proof we keep asking and Lombardi is sick of us asking, we need some proof, we heard straight from the horse's mouth in an unambiguous way that this was not the case. Bad reporter. Bad reporting.

Who would come out and say that on the record though? Neither Aquilini or Lombardi's camp would gain anything out of that.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
From his current spot on 1040, his idea of what a management team should look like sounds so good. A GM with up to 4 AGM's handling different tasks is music to my ears compared to Jim and John taking on everything and seemingly unprepared for almost everything.

Well talk can be just talk. Gillis employed 2 AGMs and had Eric Crawford run both the pro and amateur scouting. When Linden was here “numbers” wasn’t an issue. Linden was suppose to allow Benning to go out and scout. They also had Johnson as the “GM of the Comets” rather than an AGM. Now they are certainly one short with one GM and one AGM

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Well talk can be just talk. Gillis employed 2 AGMs and had Eric Crawford run both the pro and amateur scouting. When Linden was here “numbers” wasn’t an issue. Linden was suppose to allow Benning to go out and scout. They also had Johnson as the “GM of the Comets” rather than an AGM. Now they are certainly one short with one GM and one AGM
"The blind leading the blind". Johnson probably has done a worse job than Benning this season as a General Manager.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Can Imagine it now....

Benning “ hey frank .. we hired Gretzky “

Aqualoonie “ fantastic!!! You have my entire support !! Love da name recognition .. get me Wayne on the phone “

Benning .. “ his name is Keith “

Aqualoonie ...

Reactions: mossey3535

rypper

Dec 22, 2006

I'm not so ready to completely take Aquilini at his word to tell the complete truth. Aquilini coming out and denying talking to Lombardi only serves to help him save face.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Hiring Keith Gretzky and keeping Jim Benning and Weisbrod around would make me cease to be a fan of this team until they are gone. Literally will not watch one game. ****ing idiotic.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

This should be completely implausible, but I dunno with this stupid organization we have. The entire point of this hire was to bring in a more experienced hockey ops executive. Not a guy who has basically the exact same resume as Jim Benning.

We do not need a double shot of Benning.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I remember looking around the league and wondering how certain fan bases even bother with their team knowing, going into a season, their team didn’t have a chance. I recall times when I would see certain teams plagued by stupid management and wondering how anything they did could ever make sense to anyone.

Now I know how it feels to be part of that kind of fan base. It’s such a feeling of hopelessness, frustration, and a pure headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad