The Taylor Hall Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shot Blocker

Nov 11, 2006
Oil Country
I don't see him having a problem fitting in at all. I think it's a similar situation to Cory. Cory is an elite player at his position and didn't drop off coming into the East. The save percentage went slightly down and he's not posting .930 seasons, but that's more because he's a starter and no one sustains .930 season after season with a starters load like Cory has.

Hall is also an elite player at his position and I don't see him dropping off either. I'm not saying he'll be even better here than in Edmonton, but it wouldn't totally shock me either.

Hall is often called a Top 5 left winger, but for whatever reason doesn't get a lot of recognition league wide. This past year was his first invite to the All Star game & he was not selected to Team Canada's main camp. Could that be do to Edm being so poor for so long?

One thing to keep in mind about Hall, look at his line-mates in Edmonton, (Eberle & Nugent-Hopkins), I'm not all that familiar with NJ lineup, but does he have players of that level to play with?

And how is John Hynes, is he a players coach, does he let his "horse's run" or is he defensive minded? Hall had a few run in's with Dallas Eakins that appeared to of affect the room.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22r3Rpbu9-M

You guys will have fun watching him, but don't think that Shero "Fleeced" Chiarelli, it was more NJ was in the right place at the right time. Chiarelli new Lucic was going to sign & made the tough choice to flip Hall for two awesome pieces to fill some gaping holes in the roster. We still have good stockpile of scoring forwards but we dearly needed some defenceman (especially RH shooting D) & some toughness up front to cause havoc in front of the net & create space for McDavid.

I look at it as Hall for Larson & Lucuc & I would make that deal all day long, but based strictly on the Hall-Larson deal NJ made out very well on that trade!

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Hall has Henrique to play with in NJ, who is comparable to RNH. Plus, they were Jr. teammates in Windsor and very good friends. I bet that they have great chemistry

I am more intrigued to see who plays RW on that line.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
When Zach left, he was my favorite player by a lot. It took me years to get over him leaving.

Hearing all the comparisons between Hall and Parise has me so excited. The non-stop motor, the heart of a warrior. Those were the things that made me love him.

Hope he chooses a number soon. Gonna get his jersey as soon as I can!

I wonder if Meigray can convert my Larsson jersey to a Hall one

(As if I would go to the Devils den for that)

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Hall has Henrique to play with in NJ, who is comparable to RNH. Plus, they were Jr. teammates in Windsor and very good friends. I bet that they have great chemistry

I am more intrigued to see who plays RW on that line.

Betting odds have to be Bennett right I think. Shero is going to give him EVERY chance to succeed. If he can't stay healthy that's where I really get curious. DSP could slide back into the top six but preferably we have someone else. I just don't know who that is. I'm of the belief Cammalleri(if we suffer injuries) is going to play RW next season but we'll see.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I understand that you don't pass up an opportunity to trade Larsson for Hall. I understand that Hall will completely change our offense.

But I'm not going to feel comfortable about our defense until a legitimate replacement is brought in. That's why I'm cautious about this.

Hall himself is almost exactly what we needed. He will add the dynamism and 1-on-1 skill that has been missing since 2012. He may even be able to play center or push Cammalleri to center. Regardless of the configuration, Hall, Henrique, Cammalleri, Palmieri, Zajac, and Boucher is not great, but a solid top six. Our bottom six has been bolstered as well. Our offense actually seems competent for the first time since the cup run. The question mark is just weirdly the defense now.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
You make the Hall trade and you worry about our defense later. Hall trade has the potential to transform the offense long term. Hall is much more of an impact player than Larsson. This is a trade you should make a hundred times out of a hundred and not regret. I love Larsson, but Hall excites me much more about the Devils future than Larsson ever did, and I've never even seen Hall play in a Devils uniform. Hall is an elite winger; Larsson was mainly a very good shutdown defenseman with occasional moments of offensive potential for us. Given the offensive woes of this organization, I know who I value more.

Shot Blocker

Nov 11, 2006
Oil Country
I understand that you don't pass up an opportunity to trade Larsson for Hall. I understand that Hall will completely change our offense.

But I'm not going to feel comfortable about our defense until a legitimate replacement is brought in. That's why I'm cautious about this.

Hall himself is almost exactly what we needed. He will add the dynamism and 1-on-1 skill that has been missing since 2012. He may even be able to play center or push Cammalleri to center. Regardless of the configuration, Hall, Henrique, Cammalleri, Palmieri, Zajac, and Boucher is not great, but a solid top six. Our bottom six has been bolstered as well. Our offense actually seems competent for the first time since the cup run. The question mark is just weirdly the defense now.

Hey, we know that feeling all to well in Edmonton. On paper we look like we should be a "Scoring Machine", but sadly on most nights that hasn't been the case. Even if you have a top tier goalie there's only so long he can stand on his head & get plastered with shots until he get frustrated.

Every year we've picked up these high draft pick offensive dynamos & we go into the season full of hope, then 10 games in the same old movie starts playing.

Last year though with McDavid, that guys on a whole nother level, if he didn't break his collarbone he'd have won the Calder for sure! It's now his team & he draws in quality players, FA want to play with him. We still need more depth on D but I think were moving in the right direction, by adding Larson, Lucic, even big bodies like Pat Maroon last year, it creates space for guys like Eberle & they play a little bigger. Also this years 4th overall PULJUJARV, has good size & apparently tons of potential!

Is this is the year we take the next step? I hope so I'm tired of reruns! LOL

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
The second I thought about this trade I had a ton of mixed emotions but I just watched Inglorious ******** and the scene where they're sitting down at the end and Christoph Waltz says "If you want to end the war tonight, you have to make a deal" reminds me of this trade. Had to make the deal to win the war.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
You guys are going to love Hall, he is an absolute treat to watch. His speed and tenacity is unreal

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
The subtle trolling and downright hypocrisy is getting outrageous. Oilers fans putting down hall and acting like Larsson is "just what they needed" after everyone trashed Larsson as a bust. Now he's just what they needed...
I don't claim to know about hall, but I watch every game with the red and black and Larsson, sadly, is not Doughty, Keith, even Hedman who are more the type of guy for the Oilers to really turn a corner. I love Larsson, I always felt he was massively underrated but unfortunately he won't make that defense respectable by himself. He has potential no doubt, but he might never be that elite.

I really hope all the Hall trashing is overblown and this "bad shot, ****** defense, no hockey IQ crap is nonsense because all it makes me think of is when we got Kovy and they said the same things and then all of sudden he was on the PK shuttin cats down and making great plays.

All I want is to feel happy about this trade, but everyone has gotta come in and start trashing hall and beaming about Larsson.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Hi, Oilers fan here. I know it seems 70% of hfoil is pretty high on Hall but I don't think that is the sentiment amongst most hockey knowledgeable people in Edmonton. The feeling is that he is overrated especially in his hands and puck skills and hockey iq. Edmonton management were never going to bring him back next year. There's a feeling his sulking and pouting attitude brought down the rest of the team and was a real annoyance to the coaches.

These are some of the reasons he did not make the Sochi Olympics team after a career year (top 10 in scoring) and not on the World Cup team after a decent World Championships. He was overrated here in Edmonton.

That being said I think this trade will light a fire under him and he will do everything in his power to be the best player he can be. He got complacent here. This will knock him and his ego down a notch. I think he's a player that can have high highs and low lows. Not very mentally strong at this point. I see him becoming a players you guys will either love or hate down the road depending on how he continues down his career path. good luck.

This person does not represent the average Oiler fan, "knowledgeable," or otherwise.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
If Hall is overrated, with no hockey IQ, and bad hands I hope we bring more Hall's on because they can score at a PPG pace.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I took a look on the nhl shop website to see if they had anything. I see you can buy a Lovejoy (#12) and Fiddler (#38) jersey. No Hall yet though.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
If Hall is overrated, with no hockey IQ, and bad hands I hope we bring more Hall's on because they can score at a PPG pace.

Oilers traded a Lamborghini for a Ford Fiesta. There will be some people who try and spin things otherwise, but they're just in denial.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Oilers traded a Lamborghini for a Ford Fiesta. There will be some people who try and spin things otherwise, but they're just in denial.

I'd say a Lamborghini for a brand new Corvette. It's a not quite a Lambo, but it's still pretty damn sweet.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Larsson is a Volvo wagon. Not flashy, but useful. And Swedish.

Maybe one of these puppies:

trucks.png

Not quite a lambo, but it gonna do a lot of work for ya.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Taylor ham is going to rock 44 thats my guess

He wore 22 in the AHL.

I can see him wearing 44 or 22 or maybe a new number something different for a new chapter. Tell you what if he picks 9 or 17 he will have a TON of jersey's day 1 because everyone will switch them. I dont think the Devils will let him do that frankly. They want new jersey sales.

Looks pretty good i think.

hall-pix-e1353047119841.jpg

taylor-hall-oklahoma-city-barons-feature.jpg

Taylor-Hall-Returns.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad