The Taxi Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
This is the thread for "The Squad". What are your thoughts.

The facts are that McAbe, Spezza and Staal are on it and it didn't have to be named right away.

My thoughts are that at least two of them should have beeen named to the team. So they were named as a "consolation prize".

Obviously you can think of players you would prefer to see on or off the team.
Myself, I think Sid should have been named over some of the guys named to the team. But I have a much more difficult time arguing that he should be picked over these three guys.

So they were picked now both as a consolation prize and as a "firewall". Pick your worst 3 from "the team" and move them back to the "Squad" and it will become much more obvious it should not have been picked now.

That's without the obvious "what if a goalie (or two) gets injured in the next little while", which is a separate issue.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
A few questions though re the "taxi squad":

Did they have to name the taxi squad now? My understanding was they could wait another month for this selection. It was a huge cushion for Canada to wait until somebody got hot or cold. Anybody know? :dunno:

Also, under what circumstances can these players play? Can they only be called upon before the tourney starts? Does the injured player get to be reinstated? Is this taxi squad written in stone? :dunno:

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Crosbyfan said:
My thoughts are that at least two of them should have beeen named to the team. So they were named as a "consolation prize".

Obviously you can think of players you would prefer to see on or off the team.
Myself, I think Sid should have been named over some of the guys named to the team. But I have a much more difficult time arguing that he should be picked over these three guys.
I am shocked that Staal wasn't picked. I feel really bad for him and Spezza - they have earned spots on the big team. I expected Crosby to be picked (for marketing reasons), but it's touch to make an argument that he's better then the three alts and somebody else on the team.

Roy G Biv*

It's Pejorative Slured that Staal didnt make the real team over:

St.Louis, Draper, Smyth, Doan, Bertuzzi, Lecavalier.

He can score and play a grinding game.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
hockey337 said:
so..do these taxi squad guys get a medal?

doubt it. they're not officially members of the team i think, because they don't get to stay in the olympic village.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Egil said:
I call it the "deflecting media criticism squad", not the taxi squad.

that is what i was about to say. I definantly think all 3 guys were named so nobody would asked why weren't they included.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
arrbez said:
doubt it. they're not officially members of the team i think, because they don't get to stay in the olympic village.
They stay at the Super 8 and will follow the teams movements via a web cam. They will be assigned a taxi squad coach which will be Larry Robinson. Let the conspiracy theories begin.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Is Canada the only one with a Taxi squad so far (I also think it'd be a good band name)? What about the US, Germany, and Kazakhstan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad