The Tambo years: the fallout, the recovery.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I feel like Tambellini did exactly what he was hired to do.

This team intentionally dressed a bad roster for years and years to get high draft picks. He was brought in as the sacrificial lamb, Lowe and co knew someones head would have to roll after collecting 1st overalls for years so they knew they had to put someone in place who could take the fall later. He was handcuffed by ownerships mandate IMO.

I'm not so sure about that. That's giving too much credit to Lowe; he can't think that many chess moves ahead. He thought he had a good man and was wrong, simple as that. And, like always, Lowe was lazy. He made one phone call to a buddy and offered him a job.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
for those Tambo defenders, here's a good read from Bruce McCurdy:

He was brutal, we may never recover, and Lowe should have been skidded for hiring him. And absolutely disasterous managerial tenure.
Absolutely he was brutal. The funny thing is that some posters here were telling those of us who knew Tamby was a joke the instant he was hired "oh, what could you do better", or "the team has a plan, why don't you watch a few episodes of Oil Change and learn something", or "I guess you don't want a team loaded with FOA draft picks, don't come around cheering for the Oilers when we are winning the SC in five years".

Tamby was a joke. He was hand picked by Katz. The seasons of tanking were Katz"s plan. People who don't recognize these simple facts are still living in a world where MPS/Lander/Pitlick is our second line. :laugh:

That defence, while more veteran isn't substantially better than ours and it definitely won't make up for the black hole which will be Canucks scoring next season.
Oh lmao. That defense is far better than "ours". Its not even really close. Bieksa alone is twice the player of anyone on the Oilers d.
I sure hope you forgot the :sarcasm: when you posted this comment.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I always see comments that Tambo was Lowe's hire, but was that really the case? Seems like it may have been more Katz's decision, as Lowe's promotion and Tambo's hire happened at the same time.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
So ... there's been a recovery?

And here I thought the Oilers were still a bottom-five team with a too-young top 6, weak center depth, a far-below average defensive core and below-average goaltending.

Until a squad built by MacLowkins doesn't finish in the bottom third of the league, I have trouble giving them credit.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Tambi also made some bad decisions though. He let Roloson walk so he could sign a younger Khabi, even though Rolie had more hockey left in him. Khabi's injury issues were well known before hand. In hindsight this one hurts because Rolie is now a great hockey coach. If he retired with us I bet we could have had him in that role.

Tambi's final year was very bad as well. He got Fistric and Smithson for more than they were worth, and they weren't even used much by Krueger, showing a disconnect between the GM and coaching. This also happened with Omark, where Tambi called him up, his waiver exemption was used up, and yet the coach hardly used him. I also find it deplorable that Tambi wasn't in on Bishop (They claim he was but I call BS on that). We had an advantage over Tampa since we were out of Ottawa's division, and we had good trade assets too. It was okay to support Dubnyk at the time, but Bishop was the perfect guy to challenge him and push him.
I think the biggest reason Roloson wasn't resigned was because he wanted a 2 year deal and the team only wanted to give him 1 year. He had a history of not playing terrible unless he was in a contract year. Tambellini choose terribly in Khabibulin but Roloson also stunk in his first year in Tampa. That decision not to give Roloson the two year deal got us Hall and RNH.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I always see comments that Tambo was Lowe's hire, but was that really the case? Seems like it may have been more Katz's decision, as Lowe's promotion and Tambo's hire happened at the same time.
I suspect he was Lowe's choice. Lowe knew him well from Team Canada. Not sure Katz was in the loop with hockey people as much back then as he is now. I think the type of guy Tambellini is was the kind of guy Katz would have been looking for. My guess is Lowe was the guy who recommended him.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

And here I thought the Oilers were still a bottom-five team with a too-young top 6, weak center depth, a far-below average defensive core and below-average goaltending.

Until a squad built by MacLowkins doesn't finish in the bottom third of the league, I have trouble giving them credit.
:handclap:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

I don't think anyone is saying to give them credit, they're just saying not to hop on the hate train before it's even left the station.

Tambellini created a HUGE mess that isn't going to be fixed so easily. Between the bad deals, the trial by fire strategy, and the overall horribleness of the team, the Oilers are in pretty much the worst possible position, especially from a UFA standpoint.

I can't stress that last point enough.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
We've discussed Tambo's 3 wasted years inwhich not a single player was acquired that actually improved the team (well, I suppose J. Schultz did). We can't measure the extent of damage those years caused to this rebuild, but we can agree it was substancial.

Where would this team be if we had been acquiring the Scrivens', Hendricks', Gordons, Faynes, etc. back in the summer of 2011, and since?

How have those failed years changed 'the plan'? Or has it changed? Fan patience has dried up. Player patience has (probably) dried up. They can't keep waiting and wasting whole seasons.

I doubt they can make up lost ground. Those years are lost. They will likely not go Colorado. They are on the same path as before, only 3 years later. Can they even recover? Has the dream of a cup disappeared, and has just being a contender become the new dream? Kinda has for me.

I'll say this; if the Oilers never make it to the final, those 3 wasted years of Tambellin will live in infamy for decades.

Tambo didnt seal the deal with J Schultz. MacT, Paul Coffey, Lowe and others sold Edmonton to J Schultz...Schultz even says so. I am convinced that at or after the draft of Yakupov, the Oilers started removing Tambo and readying MacT...or MacT simply powered his way in by having better ideas and taking control when opportunities like Schultz presented themselves (the latter is more his style). MacT sat in on those scout situations and probably didnt like something that happened there as well because drafting style is significantly different with him.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I don't think anyone is saying to give them credit, they're just saying not to hop on the hate train before it's even left the station.

Tambellini created a HUGE mess that isn't going to be fixed so easily. Between the bad deals, the trial by fire strategy, and the overall horribleness of the team, the Oilers are in pretty much the worst possible position, especially from a UFA standpoint.

Firing Renney was a horrible move. Do i think you win a cup with the guy? No. Do i think he was the perfect head coach for two to three more seasons? Yes. Do i think the core was developing well, that he was slowly removing training wheels, that he was good with vets and young players, that he had good control in-game of bench and adjustments, that he did well with the crap he was given and that he was also improving as a coach? Yes.

Firing Renney was a horrible decision. He was the right coach for that time and had a good staff and i saw progress from him and his staff.
Honestly i think Tambo was so stupid he fired Renney....to do something in response to another bottom finish (a finish we all expected),...and didnt have a solution to the open spot and simply took Renneys advice (what employee doesnt say some internal names of their own staff when parting from a comoany)

What a bloody mess

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I suspect he was Lowe's choice. Lowe knew him well from Team Canada. Not sure Katz was in the loop with hockey people as much back then as he is now. I think the type of guy Tambellini is was the kind of guy Katz would have been looking for. My guess is Lowe was the guy who recommended him.

Gretzky im sure as well. Gretzky always made sure Tambo was mentioned as an architect of the Salt Lakes team Canada.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Tambo didnt seal the deal with J Schultz. MacT, Paul Coffey, Lowe and others sold Edmonton to J Schultz...Schultz even says so. I am convinced that at or after the draft of Yakupov, the Oilers started removing Tambo and readying MacT...or MacT simply powered his way in by having better ideas and taking control when opportunities like Schultz presented themselves (the latter is more his style). MacT sat in on those scout situations and probably didnt like something that happened there as well because drafting style is significantly different with him.

Actually, from the sounds of it Tambellini didn't have anything to do with the Justin Schultz signing. When credit was being given for that his name was inconspicuously absent. I found that strange at the time.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Actually, from the sounds of it Tambellini didn't have anything to do with the Justin Schultz signing. When credit was being given for that his name was inconspicuously absent. I found that strange at the time.

By the sounds of it, Ralph Krueger was the most influential in recruiting Schultz. I wonder what went through Justin's mind when Krueger was fired 48 games later and replaced by a rookie.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
I'd have to say the start of the disaster was shortly after 2006. The minute Pronger left, bad things started to happen all around this team.

Can someone refresh my memory, was it Lowe who did all the damage after that and then handed over the reins to Tambo who then finished the disaster that had already begun.

Looking back, it was like a soap opera for about 3 years and then we just plain gave up and started the beginning of a very long rebuild. That being said, I will never be sorry that we acquired Hall, Eblere, Nuge and Yak. Some comfort for the suckle we watched.

The next two are gonna be gamers as well so I guess silver linings folks.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'll admit that I was a pretty big supporter of Tanbo and thought posters here were too hard on him and should give him some time. I even ceded his rebuild of the AHL and other minor affiliates as a positive and that he was "just doing what he could."

I'm not so cocky not to admit that I was totally, 100%, unequivically wrong about the man. He was a total failure as a GM and could not make an intelligent hockey decision to save his life......that is if he ever got around to actually making a decision about something.

Hopefully I'm not in the same boat with my views on MacT....but I'm sure many here think that I am. I guess time will tell.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
I feel like Tambellini did exactly what he was hired to do.

This team intentionally dressed a bad roster for years and years to get high draft picks. He was brought in as the sacrificial lamb, Lowe and co knew someones head would have to roll after collecting 1st overalls for years so they knew they had to put someone in place who could take the fall later. He was handcuffed by ownerships mandate IMO.

I partially agree. When Tambellini was brought in in 2008, the Oilers were still "tweaking" and figured they could make the playoffs by adding one or two pieces. He had two seasons at the helm where this was his mandate, and the team was very poor. Most damning was the Oilers' abysmal failure in 2010, right after MacTavish was dismissed (and Tambo kind of roasted him in the press conference, what goes around comes around I guess).

After that, despite a lot of fans here losing patience, I agree with you completely; Tambellini was instructed to rebuild the team, and he did that quite well, in a sense. He traded out established NHL players, iced lousy teams, went with youth, and the result was Hall-RNH-Yakupov. It seemed like he wasn't able to do anything else, though.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Tambo wasn't even in Toronto to "woo" Schultz...it was MacT, Lowe, Katz, Krueger, and Hall

shows how much trust they had in him

Tambo is the worst GM in the history of this franchise...almost every one of his (very few) trades failed and his UFA signings were worse

say what to want about MacT, but so far his hockey trades and signing have been good (Perron trade, Scrivens trade, Gordon signing, Fayne signing, even the Pouliot signing I like)
he's had a few whiffs (Labarbara was a major fail but he knew goaltending was a problem or he wouldn't have tried to get Schneider, Belov and Grebs didn't work out, Ference has been avg. at best) but so far, he's been miles better than Tambo

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
By the sounds of it, Ralph Krueger was the most influential in recruiting Schultz. I wonder what went through Justin's mind when Krueger was fired 48 games later and replaced by a rookie.
It's funny that at the time much of the credit WAS given to Krueger but last year the organization was saying Mactavish was most responsible. Not sure what to make of that. Could be revisionist history, which we get a lot of from these guys. Could be that they were trying to pump up Krueger's importance to the organization at the time given they had just hired him as head coach. At the time I don't recall hearing Mactavish's name being brought up with the signing at all. Last year, they were saying Mactavish was the key figure in the signing and not mentioning Krueger's role in it at all. Whatever happened, I've never heard Tambellini's name mentioned in this. I always wondered if they kept him away from it.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think MacT has acknowledged that Tambo added a lot of stuff to the amateur scouting and IMO the drafting has gotten noticeable better since 2008-2009. Part of that is luck though....

But they've managed to get 1-3 guys after the 1st round each year from 2010-2013 who seem to be impressing....

He sat on his hands a bit too much and really failed to get decent FA's or veterans.

I'm not sure if any future success will be a matter of shrewd and intelligent MacT GMing or just a matter of Tambo adds panning out over time....ie. the first overall picks, 2-5th round depth guys, and the acquisition of Schultz...

Last edited:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I'd have to say the start of the disaster was shortly after 2006. The minute Pronger left, bad things started to happen all around this team.

Can someone refresh my memory, was it Lowe who did all the damage after that and then handed over the reins to Tambo who then finished the disaster that had already begun.

Looking back, it was like a soap opera for about 3 years and then we just plain gave up and started the beginning of a very long rebuild. That being said, I will never be sorry that we acquired Hall, Eblere, Nuge and Yak. Some comfort for the suckle we watched.

The next two are gonna be gamers as well so I guess silver linings folks.

The only part i blame Lowe for in spring of 06 is not looking at the future while we were winning playoff games. Even without knowing that we had already recieved a trade request from Pronger in January...you just had to look at the UFAs and RFAs on the roster to know a tough decision had to be made.

I remember talking with friends during the finals and telling them that we might have to trade Pronger...well before his trade request. Peca, Spacek, Roli, Samsonov, Pisani were flat out UFAs while Hemsky, Smith, Greene, and another key name were RFAs. We were a cap team already and the cap was expected to increase by only six mill.
Im trying to remember the situations.
Had i been GM, i would be in constant touch with my franchise players agent. I wouldnt even think that he would go to the oress, which he did, but id want the agent and i to be in open talks at all times. Its a big time asset. Pronger was coming off an injury so there was a question about how he would recover when we traded for him and signed him to that sweet extension. I still felt tentative about his long term health but id want a king ransom for him. If his agent and him truly still wanted out of the team i would have asked that they simply give me time so as to not destroy the good feelings we built up...like wait a week and ill close a deal.
Instead Lowe didnt talk to either Pronger or his agent since the week of the innitial request. Like a child...he hoped that if he ignored the problem things would go rosey. He thought the playoff success changed things. He never bothered to ask. Prongers agent then went to strachan in the press and value plummeted.
Pronger had dominated Lidstrom, and Niedermayer. He was the best player in the world...yet alot of Oiler fans agreed with my feeling that Pronger on that deal and at his level of play but health risks...he had to be the player dealt. The returns should have been astronomical. At the time i remember clearly suggesting...even on radio 630ched being met with virptriolic responses...that we trade CP and deal the rights to Pisani. Focus on retaining Hemsky and Samsonov as a pairing and our d corps and Roli...add in a top young dman in Pronger deal (established though..not a smid prospect).

I hate. HATE that Lowe wasnt keeping the pulse of that issue. That was bad management. Lowe had a great mind in some ways for deals but from what i heard from insiders...MacT hand picked the 2006 acquisition targets not Lowe...althought they agreed and it was Lowe who made the deals.
After :)cP players chose east coast locations. Peca loved MacT but didnt like the travel of the west, same with Spacek...as for Samsonov he as well wanted the Eastern travel and turned down a bigger offer from us to go to Montreal.

That was that. The beginning of realizing that Edmonton wasnt a destination of choice anymire. In the 90s, Doug Weights era it was a different feel. I am not surprised, looking back that we didnt have guys dying to stay. You had a bunch of guys that had already checked out.

At the draft Lowe should have had a bidding war on Pronger and expecting a big package. Not just the top player in the world, but in a pivotal position, and on a rediculously cheap contract.

I partially agree. When Tambellini was brought in in 2008, the Oilers were still "tweaking" and figured they could make the playoffs by adding one or two pieces. He had two seasons at the helm where this was his mandate, and the team was very poor. Most damning was the Oilers' abysmal failure in 2010, right after MacTavish was dismissed (and Tambo kind of roasted him in the press conference, what goes around comes around I guess).

After that, despite a lot of fans here losing patience, I agree with you completely; Tambellini was instructed to rebuild the team, and he did that quite well, in a sense. He traded out established NHL players, iced lousy teams, went with youth, and the result was Hall-RNH-Yakupov. It seemed like he wasn't able to do anything else, though.

MacT had cancer and had had enough. You could tell early in the year that he was unhappy with more than just Penner... There were lots of off ice issues that happen in the years 2007 and 2008... And to be honest i think MacT was still mad about the CP fiasco. Penner himself, although not a part of the deal, was a reminder of the Oilers desperation from the CP fallout.

I think MacT has acknowledged that Tambo added a lot of stuff to the amateur scouting and IMO the drafting has gotten noticeable better since 2008-2009. Part of that is luck though....

But they've managed to get 1-3 guys after the 1st round each year from 2010-2013 who seem to be impressing....

He sat on his hands a bit too much and really failed to get decent FA's or veterans.

I'm not sure if any future success will be a matter of shrewd and intelligent MacT GMing or just a matter of Tambo adds panning out over time....ie. the first overall picks, 2-5th round depth guys, and the acquisition of Schultz...

Tambo acquired NSchultz but had nothing to do with JSchultz.

I am liking MacTs drafts more than Tambos.

Last edited:

Bangers

May 31, 2006

My question though is whether it was actually Tambellini that created the mess in the first place. As John MacKinnon alluded to before Lowe's 'six-rings' tirade, Lowe and MacT (along with the EIG's decision that farm teams aren't important) were responsible for creating the crap-tastic team that Tambo inherited. He saw an aging, expensive, ineffective roster and tried to fill a few holes to keep them in the playoffs (ie. the Khabibulin signing); once it was clear that was a mistake and that the team wouldn't be able to acquire UFAs to push them forward, I believe it was an organizational directive to tank, acquire high draft picks and clear out organizational deadwood (see Moreau, Staios...) while not taking on any cap-crippling contracts. He actually managed to do most of this.

Before Tambellini was hired, people were pushing for both MacT and Lowe to be sacked, so MacT walked (notice nobody else hired him) and Lowe hired Tambellini to be his sacrificial lamb. If you look at Tambellini's tenure from an outside perspective, he was an absolutely horrible GM, but if he did what he was hired to do, should the people who gave him these orders still be in charge?

As long as MacLowkins is in charge, I have no faith that this team will not become the new Atlanta Thrashers.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My question though is whether it was actually Tambellini that created the mess in the first place. As John MacKinnon alluded to before Lowe's 'six-rings' tirade, Lowe and MacT (along with the EIG's decision that farm teams aren't important) were responsible for creating the crap-tastic team that Tambo inherited. He saw an aging, expensive, ineffective roster and tried to fill a few holes to keep them in the playoffs (ie. the Khabibulin signing); once it was clear that was a mistake and that the team wouldn't be able to acquire UFAs to push them forward, I believe it was an organizational directive to tank, acquire high draft picks and clear out organizational deadwood (see Moreau, Staios...) while not taking on any cap-crippling contracts. He actually managed to do most of this.

Before Tambellini was hired, people were pushing for both MacT and Lowe to be sacked, so MacT walked (notice nobody else hired him) and Lowe hired Tambellini to be his sacrificial lamb. If you look at Tambellini's tenure from an outside perspective, he was an absolutely horrible GM, but if he did what he was hired to do, should the people who gave him these orders still be in charge?

As long as MacLowkins is in charge, I have no faith that this team will not become the new Atlanta Thrashers.

I agree about Lowe but how can you claim that MacT was also responsible? Since when is the coach responsible for player acquisition?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

For sure, Lowe should be skidded. It's inconceivable that a POHO, supposedly the face of the franchise, can actually be harmful to business and not get let go. The organization is adamant that MacT is calling the shots. Nicholson is running the organization and is the new face. So, what does Lowe do? What does he bring? He is Katz's friend and nothing more. If Katz wants to pay a useless employee a near million dollar salary I guess that's his business, but don't tell me billionaires are smart.

But I'm ok with MacT.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I agree about Lowe but how can you claim that MacT was also responsible? Since when is the coach responsible for player acquisition?
Lowe and Mactavish don't have the typical coach and GM relationship. They are ex teammates with a thirty year friendship. This isn't boss and employee. It's two guys that have known and trusted each other for a long time. Prior to Mactavish leaving the organization it was difficult to tell which of these guys was the dominant guy in their relationship. I think it was obvious who it was during the press conference to announce Mactavish as GM. He was the guy who took over after Lowe's tirade and calmed things back down. He was the one out of the two who appeared like he was intelligent and had a plan.

Mactavish was on record after his firing/resignation as saying that he was involved with every single player acquisition while he was coach. The media here tried to give him an out that he was just a coach and the poor player choices were not at all his fault. He didn't take it. I have no problem believing he was telling Lowe which players he wanted signed and which players to go after. All these guys own this mess, including Mactavish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad