The swedes are coming !!

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
I really like our swedish contingent, we have 5 guys coming for the rookie camp (nilsson, johnson, nylander, loov, engvall)

Nice to see that we are going back to that country looking for talent. The thing i like the most is that most of them don't play the ''swedish'' way, there are qualities that translate fairly well into NA ice !!

Edit: mods, you can move this if needed

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'm very excited about all 5 of them. Off the top of my head, I believe Daniel Brodin is the only Swede we've taken in the past few years that hasn't shown some promise (unless you want to include Sondre Olden who I believe was Norwegian.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I don't like Sweden on the international stage but I do like our swedish prospects a lot.

CalgaryLeaf*

Andreas Johnson, the Leafs 7th round pick in 2013, was named the SHL's Rookie of the Year after scoring 15 goals and 24 points in 44 games.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Andreas Johnson, the Leafs 7th round pick in 2013, was named the SHL's Rookie of the Year after scoring 15 goals and 24 points in 44 games.

lol. I love reading this every time.

Just came here to say this because I have no idea, other then Nylander, who those other guys are.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
^^ that's why i would like to give bergman more picks (instead of the NCAA route)

I know this will drop the ''success'' rate but at least it will give us a better shot at a good prospect !!

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
^^ that's why i would like to give bergman more picks (instead of the NCAA route)

I know this will drop the ''success'' rate but at least it will give us a better shot at a good prospect !!

This seems to be a common misconception. They don't "give" picks to particular scouts. The staff as a whole makes group decisions.

CalgaryLeaf*

lol. I love reading this every time.

Just came here to say this because I have no idea, other then Nylander, who those other guys are.

Fellow Leafs prospect Tom Nilsson was also in the running for the ROY award.

Per TLN:

"Johnson joins a pretty impressive list of former winners, many that have gone on to enjoy NHL success and. in some cases, develop into perennial All-Stars.

Patric Hornqvist, Nicklas Backstrom, Loui Eriksson, and Henrik Zetterberg have all previously been named the SHL/Elitserien Rookie of the Year. Swedish legends Peter Forsberg and Mats Sundin were at one time also nominated for the award. They didn’t win and are therefore losers."

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
This seems to be a common misconception. They don't "give" picks to particular scouts. The staff as a whole makes group decisions.

Nah, i don't buy that. To me, it looks like our draft strategy is as such: 1+2 rounds on management, 3+4 on CHL scouts, 5+6 on NCAA scouts, 7 on Europe scouts !!

That's how i see it from the last 2/3 drafts !!

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Fellow Leafs prospect Tom Nilsson was also in the running for the ROY award.

Per TLN:

"Johnson joins a pretty impressive list of former winners, many that have gone on to enjoy NHL success and. in some cases, develop into perennial All-Stars.

Patric Hornqvist, Nicklas Backstrom, Loui Eriksson, and Henrik Zetterberg have all previously been named the SHL/Elitserien Rookie of the Year. Swedish legends Peter Forsberg and Mats Sundin were at one time also nominated for the award. They didn’t win and are therefore losers."

If the kid was drafted in the top 10 and also got the Rookie of the Year more people would be talking about him. The only knock against him was that he was drafted in the 7th round.

CalgaryLeaf*

If the kid was drafted in the top 10 and also got the Elitserien Rookie of the Year more people would be talking about him. The only knock against him was that he was drafted in the 7th round.

I saw him listed as 5'9' and 155 on one site...Not sure how much he has grown or filled out since...That might be his biggest negative.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

I think the other scouts goes to Europe to watch the guys Bergman likes and vice versa. So that they can compare them to each other. But what I do like with some of our Swedish picks is that there is some shrewdness behind the selections. Lööf was apparently listed as 5'6" by CSS when he was infact 6´2¨or 6´3¨. I dont know how much of an impact that had on his not being taken earlier by some one else. Lööf is after all a late bloomer.
With Johnsson it was more clear we got a steal. He suffered from some kind of asthma with out knowing it. So scouts thought he was not serious about working out and such since he had so weak stamina. Once he had his problems diagnosed he could get the medicin he needed and he just took off after that. Some how Bergman had the right connections to know about this and we ended up picking him.

As for Engvall who my fellow Swedes (who know about these prospects) was surprised he was not picked earlier. But one poster here said that his rankings dropped after CSS had gone over to watch Frolundas junior team play at a time when they already had won their league by a wide margin and just wanted to get through the games with out risking anything so they could be ready for the next competition. So he went from a somewhat highly regarded prospect to some one who dropped in the rankings.

So a bit of luck and some shrewdness. But then again, they are all still long shots to make it in the NHL as anything other then depth players. But to have some one to make it you got to draft them first.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Oh and not a Swede but a Russian in the CHL, Rinat Valiyev. But there was some good home work behind that pick as well. A lot of teams (including us) thought he was not happy in NA because he went home in the middle of the Hlinka tournament last year and forgot about him (unlike us). But he had just hurt his knee and went back home to Russia to heal up so he could play next season, and so he did. And it ended up with us picking him.

I love these kind of picks.

Or like Nylander being a diva, why because he is cute? :laugh:

Teams never learn do they. Bobby Clarke was drafted by Flyers in the 2nd round 1969 because he had diabetes, should have gone in the first round. Well, good thing with insulin shots he turned out to be a rather ok hockey player eh ;)

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Now all we need is a swedish goalie prospect ( i really really like that hogberg guy) to ice an all swedish lineup lol

Johnson-Nylander-Engvall

Nilsson-Loov

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
If Johnson can turn out to be a kane-lite, we'll all be happy. He doesn't shy away from the net whatsoever. From what I've seen on youtube, nilsson seems to be one of those predatory hitters with decent skating and iq. If he can become kronwall-lite, we'll be happy. Loov, I don't know much about. All I've seen is that he has a bit of a mean streak and likes to hit. I've also seen reports he was listed at 5'9 and grew to 6'3 which could be why we got him late. he was also drafted as an overage.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
The thing with swedish players is that they don't force plays, they go with what the game/opponent give them !! They also have that natural hockey sense, a quality that can help late bloomers

Crash Test Domi*

Oh know, please. Send them back, do not let them make this team. (actually they have zero chance too make the team thank god).

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00