The Summer of 2013...

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I could live with the bad signings and the drafting, if they stuck to the plan to trade the old (for picks and or young wingers) and make room for the kids. (on cheaper contracts)....after failing to do so. we brought in jr. he was put in a position that he didn't have much room for bad deals...and while he didn't make any great trades he didn't give away the farm........until the fatty deal. with the constant giving away our chips for nothing it only made the fatty deal worse......so now there seems to be little or no way out.

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
No doubt, it was disastrous. The only deal I thought was a good idea was Kunitz.

Summer of 2014, I felt that this team only had one real chance at a Cup and that window would only open in a couple of years. Prior to that, we needed to shed bad contracts, shop for longterm wingers, and focus on getting our young cost controlled players as much experience as possible. During that period, maximize our assets. Then the window opens and we compete until Sid and Geno start to decline and our 'youth' are out pricing themselves.

Present day. The players we needed to shed are firmly entrenched, and we waited too long to get anything of value for 14. We wasted $4m on Ehrhoff. Despres was dumped for nothing, Dumoulin will need to pass waivers, and Bennett has 3 feet out the door; we picked up Perron but each day this **** show continues he is more likely to go FA. Martin is gone via UFA. We gave up 2 picks to rent Winnik, if he doesn't re-sign it is a huge loss. This team isn't in a position to be renting players.

After what has gone on this year, I'm not sure how much of that window remains. 2013 was bad but we continue piling on. The current management is really only marginally better, if at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad