The Summer of 2013...

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
This was brought up in tonight's GDT, and it's incredible as to what kind of perspective it instantly gave as to why this team has fallen so deep into the proverbial crapper. Within one 3 month period Shero single-handedly managed to cripple this team for the foreseeable future with the most asinine signings a GM has ever made in the history of this franchise:

Scuderi - 4 year contract at almost 4 million per (at 35 years of age)

Kuni - 3 year extension at 4 million per (at 34 years of age)

Dupuis - 4 year extension at almost 4 million per (at 34 years of age)

Bylsma - 2 year extension after consecutive playoff embarrassments

Adams - 2 year contract extension to a 36 year old 4th liner that at one point went almost 2 seasons without a goal....

As much as we wanna rag on JR for that Despres/Lovejoy trade, or MJ as a coach, we should really think a bit further when pointing fingers for what has truly impeded this team's progress over the past couple of years.

All it took was one summer...

Last edited:

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
IMO: trying to be reasonable

* Bylsma and Adams are unforgivable. Just no reason to re-sign these dudes.

* ONE of Dupuis and Kunitz would have been OK. There was a dearth of reasonably priced tweener-wingers that off-season. Signing both was short-sighted.

* Signing Scuderi would have been fine if it was for 2 years and Orpik was traded in the off-season. They filled the same "need".

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Shero basically ruined the team that year. No doubt in my mind. The worst part is that most of us knew it then but still somehow Shero didn't. I wish they could hire him just to re-fire him again.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
the kunitz signing is the only one I didnt say WTF.

combine them all, and we all see the product today.

should have got rid of Fluery as well and started from (relative) scratch

and as we all know with the county club atmosphere, I wouldn't place the only blame on shero

Last edited:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
the kunitz signing is the only one I didnt say WTF.

combine them all, and we all see the product today

Same.

I was very unhappy with the Dupuis' deal because I saw it as 4 more years of KCD.

I hated the Bylsma and Adams' deals for obvious reasons.

I loathed the Scuderi contract because we had such great organizational depth at defense and he didn't fill a need. I was mad because in my mind the move was pushing Despres down the depth chart. We see how that ended up.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I'm no fortune-teller, but I'm confident in saying that we've already seen the best of this generations Penguins team. It makes me very sad to imagine what could have been.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada

* ONE of Dupuis and Kunitz would have been OK. There was a dearth of reasonably priced tweener-wingers that off-season. Signing both was short-sighted.

* Signing Scuderi would have been fine if it was for 2 years and Orpik was traded in the off-season. They filled the same "need".

I could honestly understand the Kunitz signing more than Dupuis. At the time Kuni was still a legit top 6 winger that played a physical game and had solid chemistry with Sid. 3 years at 4 million wasn't TOO bad either within that context.

Dupuis however was 2 years too long, and about a million dollars more per season than he should've gotten. It was basically a gift from the organization for having a career (half) year, and for being such a loyal, dedicated soldier for the team.

I didn't agree with the Scuderi signing PERIOD, regardless of term. That was just a selfish move by Shero because he never forgave himself for letting him walk in 09.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Go back to those signing threads, I hated each and every signing. I stated this at the time, " All Shero accomplished was shutting the door completely shut on any chance of the Pens winning a cup during the length of those contracts". No, that wasn't hindsight, that was what I saw a new reality for the team 2 years ago.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Shero basically ruined the team that year. No doubt in my mind. The worst part is that most of us knew it then but still somehow Shero didn't. I wish they could hire him just to re-fire him again.

I think he just went into pure panic mode that Summer and basically knew that for the first time since he got hired as GM that his job was really on thin ice. He went "all in" that season to bring in Iginla, Morrow, and Murray, trading draft picks and one of our top prospects (Morrow) in the process, only for us to get completely cracked in Round 3, and for all 3 of the guys we acquired to walk as UFA's in the summer. He panicked like crazy, made some ridiculous signings, and now he is left unemployed, and this team is left a mess.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Shero ruined the team years earlier with his drafting. That's just the summer everyone noticed something was rotten in Denmark.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I kind of feel the same way.

Bylsma and Adams remaining was indefensible. Keeping one of Kunitz or Dupuis is fine, but not both. It was painfully obvious you couldn't have both of those guys in the Pens' top six and expect to go deep. Scuderi on a shorter term and with moving a guy like Orpik in the process. But similar to the Dupuis/Kunitz thing, don't have both on the roster.

The icing on the cake is what billybudd mentioned. On top of those bad long-term contracts to old guys, his drafting/development of young scoring wingers was abysmal.

Speaking of which, did you know you can't spell Byslma without abysmal?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I loved that Bryan Adams song

"IT WAS THE SUMMER OF 69 OH-13"

Such a classic. Play it again, Sam.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd have been fine with all the signings if we were flexible enough to change their role according to performance, but we're clearly not. Dupuis' health issues compound the problem.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Nobody knew it would be this bad, or that it would have this lasting of an effect.

The Summer of 2013 will live in infamy for a long time among Pens fans.

Many of us knew Shero and Bylsma had turned this organization into a smoldering pile of rubble, but I don't think anyone really understood quite how long the stink of Shero/Bylsma hockey would linger. We knew this year was a throwaway, transition year, but it looks like we're looking at another year of trying to finish cleaning up next season. That is, unless this organization suddenly finds the brains to pinpoint what's wrong and what needs to be done, and finds the balls to actually go through with the tough decisions and hard work fixing it all entails.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
It is clear this franchise is in a bubble of arrogance and self importance. That will come crashing down once the Sid/Geno decline kicks in. Bad drafting, bad contracts, bad management and lastly the total denial of the consequences of the above. Since I have zero confidence in this group, no reason to expect any improvement from here. Dumping Kunitz, Scuderi won't alter anything except two players we no longer dump on. As long as this franchise is reactive, no way in hell they win a cup. The lack of accountability even to the ice surface they players play on is astounding to me. No one of quality is coming into this mess. You're forced to hire a has been GM, and a coach who was his third choice. I think JR did what he could but the basic issues are not him.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Shero ruined the team years earlier with his drafting. That's just the summer everyone noticed something was rotten in Denmark.
Bingo. Shero's drafting is what ruined the Pens.
The inability to produce even a top 9 forward or top 4 defenseman (and I am not counting Maata whose been injured) compounded by trading draft picks for vets to fill holes by poor drafting has resulted in the Pens being an old, slow, team with no hunger or speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad