Post-Game Talk: The streak is dead, long live the streak! 3-2 Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
I really don't understand the panic.

What I saw tonight was a team playing an excellent system with a great passing game, almost no dump and chase, lots of shots, constantly buzzing around the net...

I see people here saying the Habs are going back to their grinding style? I didn't see that at all tonight.

I also thought Max played very well beside that turnover. Mistakes happen. That doesn't turn into a goal, we never talk about it.

I do agree about Galchenyuk needing more ice time, but you can't say MT is a bad coach just because of that, because for the most part, he's doing a great job. This team, from what I'm seeing, is playing the best hockey I've ever witnessed them playing (going back to 2003-2004ish) and part of it is the system MT has put together.

It's a tough one to lose as a fan because they played so well and those goals were so fluky, but **** happens.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Montreal is a better team then Washington; unlucky breaks last nights. In regards to the new line combos; I agree with most it's better to keep Davey on the 3rd even though MP clearly luv s playing with him. I wouldn't be surprised if MP is responsible for DD being on the top line. He really looked miserable playing with Plekanec and to be honest I understand why one would feel that why. Regardless how good Plekanec is overall he can t pass the puck which is what a player like MP needs.

pvanders21

Feb 5, 2015
you guys sound like such whiners going on about chucky missing 2 shifts, whp cares. The Habs played well and took it too the Caps but their all star goalie had a big game and won it. Thats hockey. we have seen Price do it enough.

Exactly! A few of these guys need to be behind the Habs bench with a stopwatch!

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
If that game were to be replayed 100 times with the same level of possession and dominance montreal showed last night you will win 95 times at least. Loved what I saw yesterday. Those loses are frustrating but to me it's clear that we have the better team.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Montreal is a better team then Washington; unlucky breaks last nights. In regards to the new line combos; I agree with most it's better to keep Davey on the 3rd even though MP clearly luv s playing with him. I wouldn't be surprised if MP is responsible for DD being on the top line. He really looked miserable playing with Plekanec and to be honest I understand why one would feel that why. Regardless how good Plekanec is overall he can t pass the puck which is what a player like MP needs.

That's bull crap. Plek and Patches were on a ppg pace, just because it's not pretty tic-tac-toes doesn't mean Plek can't pass or create plays. It's probably the biggest myth spread around these boards.
Patches does not need a guy like DD to constantly feed him the pucks. He will produce with anyone. I don't think for a second that Patches would be over a ppg ratio had he started the year next to DD.
Also, DD can't keep up with top line minutes. He just can't play next to Patches.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
the guys played a really good game. WSH rode a hot goalie and a lucky goal to a win. No shame in that game.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
That's bull crap. Plek and Patches were on a ppg pace, just because it's not pretty tic-tac-toes doesn't mean Plek can't pass or create plays. It's probably the biggest myth spread around these boards.
Patches does not need a guy like DD to constantly feed him the pucks. He will produce with anyone. I don't think for a second that Patches would be over a ppg ratio had he started the year next to DD.
Also, DD can't keep up with top line minutes. He just can't play next to Patches.

Before replying that's bull crap; read and understand my point. I made an observation and a comment on what I felt was the possible cause behind the Max and Davey reunion. Plekanec is the best option for the moment even though he can t pass the puck. Also ever since Gallagher s injury I m curious to know how many points that line has produced? All in all the key to that line is Gallagher. DD needs to stay on the 3rd line.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

We got unlucky last night, that's true...but it's still a home game....not sure on a road game it would've look the same though.

As for Plekanec, good god:
Plekanec has 18 assists this year and Desharnais 10.
It's a major difference for a 27 games season so far.

Assists doesn't mean he's a good playmaker, but he sure can pass the puck as good or better than Desharnais.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I really don't understand the panic.

Who's panicking?

Seems to me most posters account for the loss due to bad luck more than anything else. Most posters appear to agree that the Habs played well, they out-shot WAS and their goalie was unbeatable on this one game. Too many positives from this game to paint it with a negative brush.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
As crazy as it sounds, there may be some truth to it. First time Pacioretty has been using his speed in a while.

Or maybe it's just a coincidence and he's just starting to recover from his injury. Or maybe he was pouting.

He's been playing better with more speed for 4-5 games now. I think it's mostly a coincidence.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
The DD-Patch thing explained zero the story of the game.

Each line dominate almost complely the other line. Corsi clear win

Error cause the goal, Cap were opportuniste

1rst goal (Beaulieu bad exist and softie by Condon)
2nd goal (Softie, or bad puck luck On Condon)
3rd goal (Turn-Over by Patch)

Holby stool that one

Men Patch has a star in NHL.com, he was stellar most of the game (9 shot, 7 attents, that's crazy)

Galchenyuk was amazing, Best game from Eller of the year.
Flynn have so much speed!
Plekky did the job like always

The bad... Condon, and maybe DSP... he doesn't have any hands

Switch the goalie we win big time!

Bring back Gally, Mitchell and Price... bench Thomas and DSP... it would have been a complete destruction...

People can complain np... But to put the lost on ONLY DD-Patch grouping and TOI is a little over the top...

Hundreds of post would make it more real. At less but something else then...

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I thought the boys played really well last night. No shame there.

I would like to see our best forward of the last few games get a little more ice time and he merits it.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
3rd goal (Turn-Over by Patch)

The 3rd goal was mostly an extremely lucky goal. The turn over doesn't matter.

Puck was deflected on the ice 2 meters in front of the net and then bounced over the goalie's pad. Can't be more unlucky than that. You see this type of goal maybe once every season.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
The 3rd goal was mostly an extremely lucky goal. The turn over doesn't matter.

Puck was deflected on the ice 2 meters in front of the net and then bounced over the goalie's pad. Can't be more unlucky than that. You see this type of goal maybe once every season.

Okay, thanks, I just miss that one. I was going at my own hockey game...

puck luck...

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Can't believe we still have fans defending the DD-Patches pairing. Especially as we now know for sure that the team can achieve better results with DD on the third line, where he belongs.

I really dont see the problem of having DD and Pax together, If your top 3 lines are: Flash-Pleck-Gally Pax-DD-Weise Eller-Chuck-Ghetto and they play 15-16 minutes each.. The prob is if MT sees them as the no1 line and play DD 19-20 minutes a night!! If you dont want your best forward(Pax) playing 15-16 minutes a night double shift him with another line at time.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I really dont see the problem of having DD and Pax together, If your top 3 lines are: Flash-Pleck-Gally Pax-DD-Weise Eller-Chuck-Ghetto and they play 15-16 minutes each.. The prob is if MT sees them as the no1 line and play DD 19-20 minutes a night!! If you dont want your best forward(Pax) playing 15-16 minutes a night double shift him with another line at time.

The problem with those lines is that Pacioretty - Desharnais - Weise has to be sheltered and Plekanec is left with the entirety of the defensive load on his shoulders, killing most of his offensive potential.

The good thing about the Pacioretty - Plekanec duo is that they can be sent out against literally any line and find a way to produce and shutdown the opposition in the process. They'll more often than not end up with the upper hand even when they're matched up against the Crosby, Ovechkin, Tavares and such.

Plekanec is a great player, but he's more often than not a defense first player. Having him on the third line kills most of our scoring depth as well as voids one of our competitive advantage.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal

If that is true, the Habs did not choose the right captain.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
The problem with those lines is that Pacioretty - Desharnais - Weise has to be sheltered and Plekanec is left with the entirety of the defensive load on his shoulders, killing most of his offensive potential.

The good thing about the Pacioretty - Plekanec duo is that they can be sent out against literally any line and find a way to produce and shutdown the opposition in the process. They'll more often than not end up with the upper hand even when they're matched up against the Crosby, Ovechkin, Tavares and such.

Plekanec is a great player, but he's more often than not a defense first player. Having him on the third line kills most of our scoring depth as well as voids one of our competitive advantage.

I prefer Plek-Patch too. I swear MT switched lines just to get DD going again.

Habs178

Sep 22, 2007
Ontario
If that is true, the Habs did not choose the right captain.

I mentioned the same thing last night about Patches, and how his game magically picked up the minute DD was put on his line in Columbus. Totally different guy out there, actually skating and seemed like he cared. Sucky baby attitude it seems like. And I wouldn't be surprised if they're together because of MP.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I mentioned the same thing last night about Patches, and how his game magically picked up the minute DD was put on his line in Columbus. Totally different guy out there, actually skating and seemed like he cared. Sucky baby attitude it seems like. And I wouldn't be surprised if they're together because of MP.

Yea I'm sure Pacioretty has been miserable all year with the team winning games and being close to PPG. These conspiracy theories... :shakehead

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Yea I'm sure Pacioretty has been miserable all year with the team winning games and being close to PPG. These conspiracy theories... :shakehead

Pacioretty is not miserable but it's well documented that He and DD like to play together. That is not saying it's good for the team but it's a fact. They played and won in Hamilton and had some good seasons ... Personally Plekanec is better suited then DD for the top line but the chemistry is not really there with Patches 5 on 5. Personally whatever MT does at this point I trust he is a good coach. Regardless of line combos.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I'm not blaming Condon for the loss but he needs to play better and stop giving up soft goals. He started this season great but he's been slipping. I'd still rather him playing than Tokarski though..

Condon's first 7 starts: 6-0-1, 1.57GAA, 0.940 SV%

Condon's last 8 starts: 3-3-2, 2.75GAA, 0.885 SV%

Habs178

Sep 22, 2007
Ontario

I said miserable. That's what I said. Learn to read. I said he looked disinterested, almost lazy. Guy wasn't skating really hard...which I really attributed at first to his injury....but that alllllll changed the minute DD was back with him. He suddenly has jump? Suddenly he can skate and he cares? That's how I see it. And to me that looks like a sucky attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad