The Strange Case of Kyle Brodziak

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is he ever going to play for the Wild again? I thought he might miss a game or two as we try to work in our new fourth liner(s), but I' m pretty shocked he has been benched for this long. Sure as hell drives down his trade value, if we are trying to move him.

Did he come to camp with a beer belly? Was he involved with the Harding incident?

Wha?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I really hope there is something in the works because for all we like to rag on Brodz, he's damn good in the dot and can defend pretty competently.

P10p

May 15, 2012
could Brodz have been involved with the Harding incident? Harding gets hurt, Carter gets signed, Brodziak benched

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't mind Carter actually,except for that first game. But I'm shocked that Brodz hasn't seen any time. Zucker is playing well, So I can see why he hasn't been subbed for, but Carter ?

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
I think that this is more atrocious than anything Yeo is doing with Coyle/Nino/Zucker switching lines around to be honest.. Brodz has been a cornerstone in this franchise for so long. What is the reason he isn't our fourth line center right now? It's strange.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I think that this is more atrocious than anything Yeo is doing with Coyle/Nino/Zucker switching lines around to be honest.. Brodz has been a cornerstone in this franchise for so long. What is the reason he isn't our fourth line center right now? It's strange.

We used to be terrible; now we're good.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Sorry, but a 4th line center is not a cornerstone of a franchise in my book.

Just saying.

Been here for years and years and despite all we rag on him he's contributed a lot to the franchise.

Maybe not a cornerstone but certainly part of the foundation.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Been here for years and years and despite all we rag on him he's contributed a lot to the franchise.

Maybe not a cornerstone but certainly part of the foundation.

Again, I don't consider a 4th line center as part of the foundation either.

He's EXTREMELY expendable. Foundation players are not.

He WAS at one point sure... but that time is past since the team is now good and we don't need him on the 2nd line.

At this point he's no more than a loose shingle on the roof that needs repair or replacing.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Again, I don't consider a 4th line center as part of the foundation either.

He's EXTREMELY expendable. Foundation players are not.

He WAS at one point sure... but that time is past since the team is now good and we don't need him on the 2nd line.

At this point he's no more than a loose shingle on the roof that needs repair or replacing.

He's our best faceoff guy behind Koivu. He's a much better center than Carter is. He's a lot more competent at defensing than Carter is.

The team is good yeah but he would still make our 4th line worlds better than Carter makes it now. And there is going to be an injury at C at some point this year. I'd rather have him available to move up 1 than have Carter move up one and call someone else up.

He's still useful, not a loose shingle.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Brodziak has come full circle. He was the surprise goal-scorer who looked like a great 3rd liner with the potential to jump up. Scoring Depth! Then he was a plug, quite possible the reason the North Stars left & should be traded for anything. Now he's the mistreated veteran, deserving of more ice. :D

I hope they don't trade him (provided he won't be a distraction alternating in the press box). Center depth is not something that is easily acquired, and the Wild appear to have it. Best hold on to it. Even though he's overpaid for his role on this team, it really doesn't matter except to Leopold. This team isn't against the cap and Brodziak is off the books at the end of the year.

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
I'm agreeing with everything Avder is saying, cornerstone may be the wrong word, but he's always been "apart of this team". As someone else was saying where's all these Yeo quotes where he wants everyone playing and wants everyone to feel like they are apart of the team when it comes to Brodziak?

Does anyone honestly think Carter is a better center than Brodziak? Sure, it's the fourth line, who cares.. But I think Brodz is better personally.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Sure it's the 4th line, but if you've got enough good players that you can put an average or slightly better than average player on the 4th line, that's a reason to celebrate.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He's our best faceoff guy behind Koivu. He's a much better center than Carter is. He's a lot more competent at defensing than Carter is.

The team is good yeah but he would still make our 4th line worlds better than Carter makes it now. And there is going to be an injury at C at some point this year. I'd rather have him available to move up 1 than have Carter move up one and call someone else up.

He's still useful, not a loose shingle.
If you recall, the 2nd half last year he was horrible at faceoffs. If you're going by his 1 game and saying he's 2nd best, that's too small a sample size as EVERYONE was great at faceoffs vs the Avs.

Last year at this time everyone was begging for him to get LESS icetime because of his turnovers leading to goals seamingly every night.

That is a loose shingle. ANY 4th line center is going to be a loose shingle at best.

Saying he's better than Carter isn't saying much in my book, as I don't want either of them getting much icetime to begin with. Worlds better on the 4th line? That's not even possible. Marginally better is closer to the target as both are marginal players.

Sure it's the 4th line, but if you've got enough good players that you can put an average or slightly better than average player on the 4th line, that's a reason to celebrate.
Brodziak is neither of those at this point though, which is why he's a 4th liner at best now. Haula fits the average player title a lot better than Brodz does. Brodziak is a marginal player.

It's not a difference maker by any means, just a bit confusing.
This I agree with completely. Not a difference maker at all at this point, but confusing that he isn't getting ANY time right now.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
I'll take Brodziak over Carter all day too. The reason we ragged on brodzi is that with all opportunities he had, nearly without fail he' manage to squander it in some fashion and not capitalize. He for sure can create D to O,since hes very solid on the defensive end which enables him to create. But once that transition starts, get the puck off his stick... quick.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'll take Brodziak over Carter all day too. The reason we ragged on brodzi is that with all the many opportunities he had, every single time, he managed to ruin it or not capitalize. He for sure can create D to O. But once that transition starts, get the puck off his stick... quick.

I just think it's funny that everyone has suddenly forgot that he was good for 1-2 major gaffe's per game that would usually result in a goal each time.

Now that Carter is doing the same, suddenly everyone forgot Brodz did that regularly himself.

I think the real difference is Carter's penchant for a penalty more often which I don't like at all.

Both are marginal players that we want to get as little icetime as possible.

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
I'm in the camp that Brodziak should be playing. Sure he whiffs at tons of great scoring chances, but unlike a lot of bottom 6 players it's because he creates lots of scoring chances, all while playing good defensively.

And I really like Brodziak with Cooke as they seem to have great chemistry.

The player I haven't been impressed with at center so far is Haula. I'd sit him or Carter first.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't think anyone is saying he "shouldn't" be playing.... I think it's just being overstated on how much better some seem to think he is vs Carter and that he would be a difference maker in that replacement.

BTW - for the record, Brodziak was 48% in the circle last year, Granlund was 52%.

I was wrong, he wasn't good vs the Avs either this year, he is only 45% in the circle thus far.

No... he is not our 2nd best faceoff man.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00