Pre-Game Talk: The Story Thus Far... (Sens at Carolina)

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
After heroically fighting back with two consecutive goals before the 2nd period ended (with all 4 of the Big 4 on offense registering a point), the 'Canes back was broken late in the third as David Krejci scored his first of the year, with the assist to Jay Harrison.

Now, after 3 days of practice, line tweaking and confidence building, the 'Canes will be raring to take on the Senators this Friday. I have group tickets, and will be in Section 337 with many uninitiated Hockey fans (thank you 3-for-1 deal to get around climbing ticket prices).

The Sens, surprsingly, have an excellent hockey team. They boast top-5 GA average (and Craig 'Cane Killer' Anderson will be in net, so expect that number to skyrocket several statistical units past number 2 after Friday), a top ten PP, PK and Goals Against. Like Boston, Ottawa is the top of the League.

Unlike Boston, the Sens play a style that is more friendly than the Black and Gold, so the 'Canes may willingly allow Ottawa to set the tempo, and try to pounce on their mistakes with effective forechecking, a tactic that worked better than expected against Boston. To be clear, better than expected means below average rather than not at all.
Players to Watch
Jeff Skinner
SkinnerHissyFit-Carolina11042011-01.gif

Jeff Skinner is red hot right now, with 5 goals in 5 games. He seems to have developed excellent chemistry with J. Staal, making great use of the space that his big, supple body allocates on the ice.

However, since Skinner is tied to J. Staal, that means that they will be sent out against either the red hot Turris line, or the dangerous Spezza line. Skinner will need to step it up defensively while maintaining his dangerous offensive skillset. I don't know if he can, but if he does he will be the first impact winger the 'Canes have had in a long time.

Players to Watch

Kyle Turris
kyle-turris-contract.jpg

After holding out on the Coyotes the beginning of last season, Turris was traded to the Sens for the guy that was traded for Tarasenko. Thanks to algebra, that means that the Sens traded Turris for Tarasenko.

Turris is on a bit of a hot streak, with 4 goals in the last 6 games and a shooting percentage of near 30%. Our defense can't stop through-the-slot passes, so expect him to score 4 goals in this game.

Players to Watch
Craig Anderson

129051777315266431.jpg

As already noted, Craig Anderson is notorious for being a mediocre goaltender unless he is playing the 'Canes, in which case he is Patrick ****ing Roy. Fortunately, 6 games into the season Craig Anderson is already Patrick ****ing Roy, with a sterling .98 GAA and a .967 sv%. When the 'Canes get shutout, it won't look nearly as bad, as Anderson has already shut down vaunted offensive juggernauts like the Caps Panthers Jets.

As you can see, the Sens are good team. Not that great- they have beaten the Panthers twice, the Caps and the Jets and lost to the Lightning and Pens- but they boast several offensive weapons up front with Turris, Spezza and Michalek (and Silfverberg looks good too). Their defense, outside of Erik Karlsson, is subpar (Sergei Gonchar and Marc Methot have 23 minutes of ice time per game this year), but their goaltender is red hot and bailing them out.

That's no excuse for the 'Canes. If we want to make the playoffs, we need to beat good teams. And right now is good as any. A win will give confidence in the team, in Muller and in the fanbase. It will put us a 3-3, which, given the rough start and the ability of the Bruins, is fairly respectable. We need this win.

Game Keys:

Last time, all of one person decided to actual respond to this section of my Pre Game Talk, so I'll keep it short and sweet this time.

Matchups: Matchups are going to be a problem for the 'Canes. On defense, we have one pair that we can send out with the expectation of defensive competence. The Sens have two deadly lines, and we have 1 pair (and make that none if Faulk is scratched).

Since our defense, sans Faulk, can not be expected to to stop the offensive wizardry that is the Senators, our forwards are going to have to step it up. E. Staal and Semin are surprisingly fine at ES. The J. Staal-Skinner combination, not so much.

The way I see it, we will send out E. Staal-Semin against the Spezza line (with Michalek and Alfredsson), so that the pair can take advantage of the lack of speed that the new PIZZA line has. That leaves J. Staal-Skinner to handle Silvferberg-Turris-Latrendresse.

Looking at those Ottawa lines reminds one of a very exploitable defensively top 6. I don't think any one of those players (outside of the Sens homers who will respond to this post in anger trying to pimp Spezza) has ever been attached to the term "Defensively responsible". That second line, especially if they are playing with Sergei Gonchar and Marc Methot.

We'll be able to score against their lineup (just not Craig Anderson). The question is if our forwards can contain them (because we all know our defense can't do it).

Basically, expect our Big 4 to have a monster game in this offensive slug fest. Goals will be traded. Refs will be booed. Skinner will slewfoot someone, and we will have a ten part stickied megathread complaining about how Skinner ruined his career. I will be there, trying to explain icing and why Chad LaRose is comparable to Tyler Lewis.

Let's Go 'Canes!!!

Reactions: MinJaBen

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Ottawa is one of those teams that we usually beat at home, but can't win at their place.

The 3 days off should give Carolina enough time to prepare and work on things, but Ottawa is off to a good start.

It will be close, but I think our guys take this one.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Not a good feeling about this weekend in general. I think we lose this one by multiple goals, then lose to Philly in a close one (of course we'll be the ones to break their losing streak).

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I'm still mad at Skinner for not playing in the AHL during the lockout, and not being ready for the season because he is so immature and selfish. Imagine how many assists he'd have if he had not just been sitting around eating ice cream and watching bachelor reruns. More than 0, I bet.

(not trolling, just mocking our boardwide overreaction to skinner not playing in AHL, and our complete amnesia over our boardwide overreaction to skinner not playing in the AHL)

Last edited:

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Quick, I need some ideas for my GDT to be started tomorrow. I'm definitely going to use SNES, something around Alf and the letter E, something around a pez dispenser, and something around llamas with hats. But besides that, I'm in need of help.

Illinest

Jan 7, 2008
Harrisburg
I'm a Pens fan going through JStaal withdrawal. I know you had a bunch of guys who were coming over here and being all like "Oh Sutter's amazing" and all that kind of crap but there's no doubt you guys got the best player in the deal. Honestly - aside from the pick and Dumoulin I would've rather kept Staal and signed someone to replace him in the offseason when he joined his brother in Carolina. One of those two defensemen is going to have to be a pretty solid player to make up for the lost season.

Well anyways I'm kind of rooting for you guys as my B team now. North Carolina always seemed like an awesome state when I drove through it. Definitely better than Virginia with their Virginia cops setting speed traps all over the place. Ugh.

ErikKarlsson

The Best (per IOC)
Oct 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Spezza is likely out for this game, Gonchar missed tonights game as well and I think he is day to day. Line up will likely look something like

Michalek-Turris-Alfredsson
Latendresse-Regin-Silfverberg
Greening-Smith-Neil
O'Brien-Zibanejad-Condra

Methot-Karlsson
Phillips-Borowiecki
Wiercioch-Benoit

I think Anderson is going to start and Gonchar is probably the 2nd best d-man on the team so him being out of the lineup should help you guys out alot. If he is able to play then I believe Benoit would draw out based on the last game they were all healthy for. Good luck on friday

Is Ward starting?

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Well, I won't be in town for this one. Which may work in the Sens favor, because I think I'm on a personal "Sens Lose in Carolina" streak of something like 5 or 6 games.

As usual, I'll be hoping for a Sens OT win in Raleigh...

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Well, I won't be in town for this one. Which may work in the Sens favor, because I think I'm on a personal "Sens Lose in Carolina" streak of something like 5 or 6 games.

As usual, I'll be hoping for a Sens OT win in Raleigh...

I'm sure we can upgrade that to a 'Canes win in a shootout by the turn of the decade. :sarcasm:

BTW, do you ever post on the Sens board?

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
Spezza is likely out for this game, Gonchar missed tonights game as well and I think he is day to day. Line up will likely look something like

Michalek-Turris-Alfredsson
Latendresse-Regin-Silfverberg
Greening-Smith-Neil
O'Brien-Zibanejad-Condra

Methot-Karlsson
Phillips-Borowiecki
Wiercioch-Benoit

I think Anderson is going to start and Gonchar is probably the 2nd best d-man on the team so him being out of the lineup should help you guys out alot. If he is able to play then I believe Benoit would draw out based on the last game they were all healthy for. Good luck on friday

Is Ward starting?

Ward will likely start. Then sit tomorrow.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I read "uninitiated" as "urinating" the first time through the OP and couldn't figure out wht the hell that was necessary.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I just realized Ruutu had 3G and 2A (two of them GWG) against Ottawa last season. Also forgot about the anomaly of us winning one in OT.

It was kind of a freak show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad