The stock market thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I went through my investment returns tonight. Looking at what I invested throughout the month of March, I'm up 18%. If I back out my normal investment contributions (and look only at the extra cash I moved in because I sensed an opportunity), it's 21%. I'm not going to post the stocks/ETFs individually - they're not that exciting. No grand slams, no strikeouts, but a lot of singles and doubles.

Of course, the S&P is up 39% since the absolute bottom. So, in that sense, I could have done better - if I was able to predict the nadir. But (as I said again and again in my previous posts), nobody can time the market perfectly. Obviously I'm glad I made 21% in three months, rather than sitting in cash. In fact, here's what I posted on April 4th (post #941):

"I also know people who missed out on years' worth of gains because they kept "waiting for the bottom" in 2008. That’s the thing – nobody knows where the market is going. If someone has a chunk of cash I definitely wouldn’t suggest going all-in today, but I also wouldn’t suggest keeping it all in cash and waiting for a bigger drop that might never come."

I'll repeat what I said before. I have no idea where the market goes from here. There will be another correction sooner or later - maybe it's next week, maybe it's three years from now. Whenever that happens, I'll use my cash reserves to buy more. Until then, I'll enjoy the gains. Cheers to those who took the plunge in March.

Reactions: halincandenza
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad