The State of New/Young Generation Oiler Fans

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
My kids have absolutely no interest in the Oilers and I have not tried to push them into it what - so - ever. They question why I cheer for such a terrible team. So do I. They were no longer interested in going to games a few years ago so I have finally stopped buying tickets. Even if they start winning, this is one family that will never support them again.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm 23 and have been a fan all my life, but the only memories of success I have is the 2006 run. As a post dynasty fan, there's no nostalgia. I even remember during the 06 run, most of the kids at my school just laughed and said "they still suck".

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
My family and I moved to Houston at a young age. My dad of course grew up with the dynasty teams, and hockey, specifically the Oilers, has always been a big part of my extended family. When we moved to Houston though, we lost touch with Oilers fandom. Until 2006. It was so fun to watch. Didn't know any of the players at the beginning, but by the end of the run, I was hooked. It's been a long time since then. I haven't seen a playoff game yet as a "real" Oilers fan, as one who follows the day-to-day of the team. It's getting hard. Essentially the entire time I've been a fan has been one big cluster****. I don't watch much anymore. I've only seen one game all the way through this year. Just too hard to watch at this point.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
In a decade, if they are decent, they will feel the effects of today's futility.

Their only hope is if they win a cup. they have set themselves up to 'needing' to win inorder with win fans back. Just being decent will not be enough. they have lost a generation, without a doubt.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
It only takes on highlight season to hook this fanbase for another decade or so.

If they make the playoffs within the next couple of seasons, they'll be good to go for another decade.

There's still far too much demand for Oilers tickets in Edmonton for the fans to have any meaningful influence.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
In my 30s and grew up with the dynasty.

Have lived around the world and used to travel across mega-cities (Tokyo, Seoul, Rio, Hong Kong, ...) to find a western sports bar to watch the Oilers before reliable streams were available.

Now I (usually) have decent access to streaming hockey and rarely watch. Right now, the team is not only crap, but it's boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad