OT: The Stanley Cup's wild ride at the hands of the New York Rangers

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Great story, everyone should ready Barry Meisel's book Losing the Edge, you can get it used on Amazon for like 4 bucks.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
That was awesome, even as someone who is tired of 1994.

My mom said she was there when the Russians brought the Cup to the Brooklyn nightclub. Wish there were photos.

Alvalanker*

lol Jesus Christ it's so hard for me to imagine Messier and Graves and Leetch at a strip club. Tikkanen however, I can.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Since each player only gets 24 hours now NYC would probably be robbed of its city tour since they would be taking it back home wherever the players were from

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
lol Jesus Christ it's so hard for me to imagine Messier and Graves and Leetch at a strip club. Tikkanen however, I can.

Leetch is the only one hard to imagine, Mess and Gravy in their prime tho? Those guys knew how to have a good time.

If you ever want to listen to a good interview, find when the Rangers were on Howard Stern after they won the cup. A great listen.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Since each player only gets 24 hours now NYC would probably be robbed of its city tour since they would be taking it back home wherever the players were from

I think this would suffice as part of the city tour. :handclap:

fact-15.png

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yes. Great read. Read it when I was around 11/12 and it turned me into the hockey management nut I am today.

That was the book that got me into the behind the scenes aspects of the sport.

I wish there were more books (and specials) out there that would take you through the maybes, what if's and planning that occurs during a season.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Leetch is the only one hard to imagine, Mess and Gravy in their prime tho? Those guys knew how to have a good time.

If you ever want to listen to a good interview, find when the Rangers were on Howard Stern after they won the cup. A great listen.

Don't let the soft spoken, quite side fool you.

Leetch had a bit of a reputation back in the day for enjoying his fun. In fact, he was noted for some of his partying back in the day, while also being noted as a guy who wasn't necessarily the best conditioned athlete.

The more refined, conditioning oriented version of Leetch that most people remember actually came after Messier arrived.

I just don't think people understand how much of an impact Messier had in changing the culture of this franchise.

Leetch and Richter were talented players, but I don't think either becomes "Leetch" or "Richter" without Messier; nor do I believe either remains with the team without Messier.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
I have a love/hate thing with '94. Love it when it happened, but now I want to see them do it again....and again....and again. But that article brought back good memories.

I was 23 when they won that Cup. I remember partying super hard after they beat the Devils, but after they won the Cup, not going crazy. Mainly because the friends I was hanging out with after that game went to a lame bar and played pool. I found out years later the bar across the street was having a wild party. Ah, the things you miss out on. I do remember a guy from Toronto walking up to me and shaking my hand. He had a bet with his buddy, a NYR fan, that if either team won the Cup, they'd have to go to a local bar and shake the hand of every Ranger/Leaf fan there. At least he lived up to his end of the bargain. Just should have done it across the street.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad