Prospect Info: The Song of Brett Ritchie

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Could probably use a thread as well for our top prospect who should be in the opening night lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I like what I've seen from him in the post season so far. My take on him is that he has good offensive instincts, soft hands, and a good shot. He's not overly dynamic in terms of accelleration or dangling, nor is he the "power forward" in the true sense of the word IMO like some scouting reports say, but he gets the job done. I think he'll be a good 3rd maybe 2nd liner if he continues to develop...tough to play against, hard to knock off the puck, scores timely goals, goes to the net.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
BpQVfj7CIAE50Li.jpg:large

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I like what I've seen from him in the post season so far. My take on him is that he has good offensive instincts, soft hands, and a good shot. He's not overly dynamic in terms of accelleration or dangling, nor is he the "power forward" in the true sense of the word IMO like some scouting reports say, but he gets the job done. I think he'll be a good 3rd maybe 2nd liner if he continues to develop...tough to play against, hard to knock off the puck, scores timely goals, goes to the net.
I'm not sure there are many modern players out there who play a prototypical "power forward" game, at least the way in which that term was understood in previous eras. Ritchie has elements of the power forward, which for all intents and purposes makes him one when compared to everyone else.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
As much as I loved those late 90s Dallas teams, it's somehow better when the roster is full of guys you drafted and developed in the lineup. Can't wait to see him in Traverse.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I'm not sure there are many modern players out there who play a prototypical "power forward" game, at least the way in which that term was understood in previous eras. Ritchie has elements of the power forward, which for all intents and purposes makes him one when compared to everyone else.

Brendan Morrow was a power forward for instance. I just don't see a much of a physical dimension/mean streak to Ritchie's game. He's big and he uses his size to protect the puck. He's not a big hitter. He doesn't seem to have much of a mean streak.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Brendan Morrow was a power forward for instance. I just don't see a much of a physical dimension/mean streak to Ritchie's game. He's big and he uses his size to protect the puck. He's not a big hitter. He doesn't seem to have much of a mean streak.

A powerforward doesn't necessarily need to hit.

With his shot I would be very surprised if he doesn't reach 20 goals in his prime, which is 2nd line production. You have to remember that in the NHL he will play with better players who will make plays for him to use that shot of his, like what happened to Neal.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I'm sure, like a lot of players, he'll start hitting a lot more when he actually gets to the NHL. He probably holds back because he's not as emotionally charged or he doesn't want to risk getting injured as often, but I doubt someone with the physical tools he has just never starts hitting. He's no Brian Boyle.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He doesn't need to be Brenden Morrow or Steve Ott and get 200+ hits a season. I hope he doesn't do that.

Benn throws hits less often, and no one would say he's not a physical or mean guy. He's more timely about it, and he's more concerned about offense. He's the new kind of power forward, and that's a better version.

Ritchie for sure has thrown some big hits this year, and he doesn't let up on the forecheck. It's not quantifiable in the AHL as it is in the NHL since the stat isn't tracked, but there's little doubt in my mind he fits a Jamie Benn type mold of today's power forward.

I think the days of guys like Morrow are probably over where you have a guy that's going to hit anything that moves and scores 30 goals consistently. Health caught up with him, and I think more and more teams are clamping down on extra, unnecessary penalties. that are often a result of over-aggression.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Didn't the Hockey News have some article recently exploding the myth of the power forward? Sounds to me like we need to have him focus on offense and be just tough enough that they don't take liberties, which it sounds like he is.

I have heard him compared to James Neal and better than Chaisson. I guess I expect him to make the Stars next year as a second line wing. Probably have Cole on the right for a year, and hopefully a new center.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
He doesn't need to be Brenden Morrow or Steve Ott and get 200+ hits a season. I hope he doesn't do that.

Benn throws hits less often, and no one would say he's not a physical or mean guy. He's more timely about it, and he's more concerned about offense. He's the new kind of power forward, and that's a better version.

Ritchie for sure has thrown some big hits this year, and he doesn't let up on the forecheck. It's not quantifiable in the AHL as it is in the NHL since the stat isn't tracked, but there's little doubt in my mind he fits a Jamie Benn type mold of today's power forward.

I think the days of guys like Morrow are probably over where you have a guy that's going to hit anything that moves and scores 30 goals consistently. Health caught up with him, and I think more and more teams are clamping down on extra, unnecessary penalties. that are often a result of over-aggression.

I'm not saying that Ritchie needs to be a true old-time "power forward" to be effective. He's going to play his own style of "big man" hockey, and he'll probably have some success at it. At least we are all hoping so. Why do you feel that the old time power forward days are gone? Rule changes?

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Didn't the Hockey News have some article recently exploding the myth of the power forward? Sounds to me like we need to have him focus on offense and be just tough enough that they don't take liberties, which it sounds like he is.

I have heard him compared to James Neal and better than Chaisson. I guess I expect him to make the Stars next year as a second line wing. Probably have Cole on the right for a year, and hopefully a new center.

I've heard the Neal comparisons as well. Neal was more dynamic with the puck(puckhandling), a better skater, and a better body-checker. I think he's a poor man's Neal. I don't see the upside in Ritchie that Neal had when he was coming up. Not to take anything away from Ritchie at all, he's going to be a very good player, but Neal's skill level is near Elite in the league. I don't see that in Ritchie at this point from the 4 games or so that I've watched him. He doesn't have that "wow factor" of a true NHL 1st liner like Neal or Nichushkin does when they are on their game.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I've heard the Neal comparisons as well. Neal was more dynamic with the puck(puckhandling), a better skater, and a better body-checker. I think he's a poor man's Neal. I don't see the upside in Ritchie that Neal had when he was coming up. Not to take anything away from Ritchie at all, he's going to be a very good player, but Neal's skill level is near Elite in the league. I don't see that in Ritchie at this point from the 4 games or so that I've watched him. He doesn't have that "wow factor" of a true NHL 1st liner like Neal or Nichushkin does when they are on their game.

You sound very sure of quite a bit about Ritchie.

His junior scoring numbers were superior to Neal's, as were his stats in his first AHL season. Neal had huge question marks about his skating when he was coming up so let's not re-write history there. He got much better in that regard - I recall one scouting report likening his turning ability to that of a cruise ship. Ritchie's shot and quick release are at least equal to Neal's at the same age, if not better. Ritchie's release is more like Benn's at the same age than Neal's.

Calling Ritchie a poor man's Neal isn't fair. At 20 Neal was a poor man's James Neal.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Ritchie was known for his borderline reckless play and huge hits at the junior level. Some power forward types grow out of that as they get older and focus more on developing their offense, as both Morrow and Neal did. That mean streak is still there with Ritchie it's just been controlled and directed for the time being, which is a good thing.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
You sound very sure of quite a bit about Ritchie.

His junior scoring numbers were superior to Neal's, as were his stats in his first AHL season. Neal had huge question marks about his skating when he was coming up so let's not re-write history there. He got much better in that regard - I recall one scouting report likening his turning ability to that of a cruise ship. Ritchie's shot and quick release are at least equal to Neal's at the same age, if not better. Ritchie's release is more like Benn's at the same age than Neal's.

Calling Ritchie a poor man's Neal isn't fair. At 20 Neal was a poor man's James Neal.

I never saw Neal at 20, so I can't comment on his skating and skill-level at that age....I'm not so concerned with the stats that Neal put up vs. Ritchie. Too many variables. We will have to see if he develops into a PPG player like Neal has....there aren't many out there that do. Time will tell. I think Nichushkin has a greater likelihood of turning into that level of player than Ritchie does. I like Ritchie a lot from what I've seen. I'm just trying to temper my expectations. I see him as having 2nd line potential. I hope he continues to develop and I'd be thriled if he develops into a gamebreaker.

MetalGodAOD*

Neal. But yeah I get your point. There aren't a lot.

Neal doesn't hit anymore, unless it's dirty. He's the definition of a perimeter player the past season or two.

To me a power forward in the vein of what you're talking about is guys like Brown and Callahan. They're being outclassed by guys like Benn and Perry who have legitimate other skills that make them better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad