OT: The Soccer Football Thread (USA, RBNY, PL, etc.)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Some criticisms are fair (the opening game, the equal pay stuff) but some are just over the top. If you're a great team or big-time team sport athlete you're pretty well going to be arrogant unless you're Mike Trout with zero national attention on him and zero pressure playing in meaningless games almost his entire career. And I mean if you're gonna come down on Alex Morgan for the tea thing (which was hilarious as heck IMO) you'd darn well better tell Subban to get off your lawn for the bow and arrow celebration too. Or NFL players for TD celebrations and baseball players for flipping the bat.

I think the biggest problem is that "over the top", whether used in the context of a celebration, comment, or a comment on criticism of a comment, is arbitrary and subjective. It's virtually impossible to define. You can't draw the line at "offensive" because any single person could take any comment or action as offensive. Offensive is also somewhat subjective, and now more than ever, seemingly almost completely arbitrary.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'd be surprised if there is a single Devils fan alive that doesn't love seeing that clip of Neids kicking a Rangers jersey.

Reactions: Patrik26

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Too bad the men can't celebrate any goals :P

I watched the women more at this WC than I have the men in any game since that terrible qualifying loss in Harrison to Costa Rica, yet another game on US soil that didn't exactly sound like a home game. I've never been this apathetic about the men since I started getting into soccer in '94 when the WC was here, and it doesn't seem like they learned jack over the disasterous failure to qualify for Russia '18. Wouldn't shock me if they missed again in '22.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
The USMNT don’t deserve to make it for 2022. And if there were a way for them to not make it in the tournament they’re cohosting, I want to see that happen.

Don’t forget, Tata Martino only took the Mexico job because US federation had zero interest in hiring him, in spite of the fact he made his motivations of coaching us incredibly clear. The only way things will change is if enough board members drop dead and are replaced by people who give a damn about soccer instead of money.

I’m cheering for Haiti from here on out. They‘re the second most American team in the world.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
The women’s soccer team wants more recognition from the federation, but they shouldn’t. It’s a testament to how the USSF operates that they’re thriving with minimal interference while the men’s team, with all the meddling and politics that goes on with them, sucks ass.

Pay the women their money and leave them the f*** alone.

Reactions: Blackjack

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
It’s a testament to how the USSF operates that they’re thriving with minimal interference while the men’s team, with all the meddling and politics that goes on with them, sucks ass.

The men simply just aren't that good, especially compared to other countries. Having the USSF being less involved isn't going to make the team miraculously become good.

Reactions: New Jersey

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
The men simply just aren't that good, especially compared to other countries. Having the USSF being less involved isn't going to make the team miraculously become good.
Don't be silly. It's not about turning things around immediately, it's about starting that process to become a contender five, ten years down the line. But here's what happened instead:
  • We have Gregg Berhalter, an MLS coach who hasn't won squat, not even in the league they poached him from, because his brother was on the search committee and because he poses no threat to the USSF's business model.
  • The coach who ended up beating us, Tata Martino, was passed over because he was a threat to that model. Mexico was clearly his second choice, he made it abundantly clear that he wanted to coach for us.
  • We have Wil Trapp being the driving force (if you can call him that) of the team's offense because he played under said MLS coach.
  • We have Tyler Adams not playing his position- the one where Trapp is permanently penciled in- because he had the gall to turn his back on MLS so that he could advance his career and skill in the Bundesliga.
As long as the people calling the shots at the federation are bankers focused on money instead of people who care about the sport, we're never going to even approach a turnaround. And we have too many fans who accept this and will shell out hundreds of dollars to see us underachieve and lose to inferior competition.

All aboard the Haiti hype train.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I don't like him either but Trapp didn't even play in any of the knockout games in this tournament.

Fans don't seem to care anyway, that crowd was easily 90% Mexico fans last night.

Tata Martino is a crybaby, he cried all the time with Atlanta and he did it last night too. Personally I'm not a fan of coaches who aren't even citizens being able to coach whatever national club team they want. If players have to pick a country's team and stick with it so should coaches.

Unless you're Haitian who gives a sh*t about Haiti's team? Do you pick another team to cheer for when the Devils have been absolute dog sh*t in the past 6 of the past 7 seasons?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Unless you're Haitian who gives a sh*t about Haiti's team? Do you pick another team to cheer for when the Devils have been absolute dog sh*t in the past 6 of the past 7 seasons?

Yeah I mean as much as part of me wants the federation to get kicked in the teeth enough to finally change their ways, it's like hoping the Wilpons or Johnsons will ever see the light as owners of my other teams. I don't root for other teams just cause I hate the owner and want them to change (which is a fruitless exercise anyway), why would I root against my national team? So let these clowns prove me wrong or have the team be good enough to win in spite of them.

Doggo has a right to be negative, US (men's) Soccer has been a joke the last few years and at best running in place since 2006 if not before...but rooting for another team out of spite just ain't cool. You want to boycott, just don't buy crap or watch. Root for some European/SA team when the US doesn't make the next World Cup, but don't root for someone in direct competition with them for a berth.

Last edited:

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah I mean as much as part of me wants the federation to get kicked in the teeth enough to finally change their ways, it's like hoping the Wilpons or Johnsons will ever see the light as owners of my other teams. I don't root for other teams just cause I hate the owner and want them to change (which is a fruitless exercise anyway), why would I root against my national team? So let these clowns prove me wrong or have the team be good enough to win in spite of them.

Doggo has a right to be negative, US (men's) Soccer has been a joke the last few years and at best running in place since 2006 if not before...but rooting for another team out of spite just ain't cool. You want to boycott, just don't buy crap or watch. Root for some European/SA team when the US doesn't make the next World Cup, but don't root for someone in direct competition with them for a berth.
US made it to knock out round in 2010 and 2014. That's the final 16 in the world. 2018 sucked and was an embarrassment.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
US made it to knock out round in 2010 and 2014. That's the final 16 in the world. 2018 sucked and was an embarrassment.

Last few years = since 2014.

And getting to at best a one and done in the knockout round in the next generation wasn’t exactly what anyone had in mind after their last real step forward in 2002. 1990, 1994 and 2002 were all steps forward with the one hiccup in between but they plateaued from there. Since then it’s either make the WC by the skin of their teeth against average competition and get punted or make it and get some miracle to squeeze into the second round (Algeria in 2010, the late winner over Ghana in 2014), only to be a quick one and done. Then 2018 was a real step backwards.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I distinctly remember in 1994 proclaiming that by 2030 we'd win a World Cup, and that it would really pizz the world off because most Americans wouldn't really care.

There's zero indication I'm going to be right.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Someone made a comment about the (paraphrasing) "media shoving this (2019 USWNT) team down our throats", which I totally think is true, but I didnt realize how true until this morning.

From everything I'd heard on TV & read, you'd have thought more Americans watched this game than any game in history, when in reality the opposite is true & TV ratings completely collapsed in 2019 versus the 2015 victory (25.4M versus 15.6M). Is anyone else as surprised by this as I am? From everything I've heard since last week I genuinely thought (exaggerating a bit) dang near all of America was watching.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Who gives a sh*t, why not just enjoy the win?

The parade was awesome today, glad I went again. It's nice being able to show up and hour before and get a great spot too.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Who gives a sh*t, why not just enjoy the win?

The parade was awesome today, glad I went again. It's nice being able to show up and hour before and get a great spot too.

My office is right on Broadway downtown so I can just stumble out a few minutes before parades. Both USWNT parades have been amazing. I love the little kids in their soccer uniforms absolutely losing their shit when the players come by.
Better than watching cops peel drunk bros off the window ledges during the Giants/Yankees parades. Even if that has its own entertainment value.

Current view from my window looks a little different, though..
hEQSS6n.png

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Someone made a comment about the (paraphrasing) "media shoving this (2019 USWNT) team down our throats", which I totally think is true, but I didnt realize how true until this morning.

From everything I'd heard on TV & read, you'd have thought more Americans watched this game than any game in history, when in reality the opposite is true & TV ratings completely collapsed in 2019 versus the 2015 victory (25.4M versus 15.6M). Is anyone else as surprised by this as I am? From everything I've heard since last week I genuinely thought (exaggerating a bit) dang near all of America was watching.
15 mil is still a decent #. 25 Mil is a huge #. The decrease is certainly a head scratching concern, but that's still a good #.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
15 mil is still a decent #. 25 Mil is a huge #. The decrease is certainly a head scratching concern, but that's still a good #.

I 100% agree with you, my point was that I was shocked to learn that not only was it not a record, but that the ratings actually plummeted from 2015. Yes, it's still a "good number", but I genuinely thought from watching TV news & reading stuff online that America was WAY more "aware" and "engaged" with this women's team than is reality. Basically, I feel like the media has been lying to us about it, which goes in parcel with the previous poster stating the media has been, "stuffing this team down our throats". That's what I was trying to say.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I 100% agree with you, my point was that I was shocked to learn that not only was it not a record, but that the ratings actually plummeted from 2015. Yes, it's still a "good number", but I genuinely thought from watching TV news & reading stuff online that America was WAY more "aware" and "engaged" with this women's team than is reality. Basically, I feel like the media has been lying to us about it, which goes in parcel with the previous poster stating the media has been, "stuffing this team down our throats". That's what I was trying to say.
I haven't gotten that vibe.

Granted there have been interesting off the field story lines, namely the equal pay movement, that have accompanied this team, so there is more to write about then normal.

But do I feel the "media is stuffing this team down our throats"? No, it's a US team winning a world title and a lot of people watched. Covered pretty proportionately to the achievement and level of interest imo.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

I pay so little attention to mainstream media I wouldn't know the difference either way honestly.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That bottom feeding creep of a governor grandstanding about "equal pay" and decrying alleged mistreatment of women's soccer players made me want to vomit. That slug owns Sky Blue and treated his players in just about the most disgusting manner possible, such as setting up lodging that was sub third world standard, no showers or bathrooms at their training facility, having the women be hosted by someone not far off from Quagmire, and paying his players poorly even by NWSL standards.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Last few years = since 2014.

And getting to at best a one and done in the knockout round in the next generation wasn’t exactly what anyone had in mind after their last real step forward in 2002. 1990, 1994 and 2002 were all steps forward with the one hiccup in between but they plateaued from there. Since then it’s either make the WC by the skin of their teeth against average competition and get punted or make it and get some miracle to squeeze into the second round (Algeria in 2010, the late winner over Ghana in 2014), only to be a quick one and done. Then 2018 was a real step backwards.
Last few years and than you mentioned 2006 so you got a response like mine.
Until more US players are playing in Europe the result won't change, plain and simple. MLS players are not gonna cut it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Last few years and than you mentioned 2006 so you got a response like mine.
Until more US players are playing in Europe the result won't change, plain and simple. MLS players are not gonna cut it.
After one of the Women's games a Red Bull game was on, so I watched a bit, and it was just ugly

Sure because they are bigger and faster, and can kick harder they'd beat the women. I don't know how to explain or describe it, more skills, more fluent, better team work, smarter? I really don't know but it did not look nearly as good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad