The Simmonds trade was truly awful

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
What was Nashville thinking? Giving up 24-year-old Ryan Hartman and a 4th for a 30-year-old rental Wayne Simmonds never made any sense to begin with, and then Simmonds proceeded to score one goal in nineteen games.

Just a brutal trade, one of the worst I can remember. Nashville basically gave away Hartman for free.

And they paid a 1st + Edjsell (bust seems like) for Hartman.

So basically a 1st + 4th + Edjsell for Simmonds

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't think the price was that high though . Don't think Hartman is that great either just younger. Simmonds already looked pretty finished in Philly and was very reliant on a good PP to score. Well tough luck he got traded to the worst PP in the league and as a netfront guy he can't fix whats wrong with that PP .

Reactions: Szechwan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Simmonds looked done all season. He was the big trade target that most fan bases flagged as "please, GM, don't trade for him!"

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I get being a fan and upset a move didnt work out but in reality it was a low risk high reward type deal. You have to think of whonwas more likely to have a more impactful playoff appearance, 24yo Hartman who you guys had a year and likely werent keeping after this year do to room and not producing enough to be kept or Simmonds who has been around a long time and in a 7 game series has been talented enough to be a big factor even if its just 1 play game 5 late in the paint making a key screen. Anyone around hockey would tell you it isnt likely he is a star player anymore but he has a better chance to give you those key minutes then the kid Hartman. And the 4th sucks to give up but you can always get back picks or move up for other prospects if you need too. If you want to be mad at a move maybe the original move the 1st for hartman... was that worth it last year?

The Simmonds move though was just a smart hockey trade that in the end didnt pay out huge dividends but didnt hurt them at all let alone cause any damage like this poat seems.

Honestly the trade that should be looked at as dumb or worst move in decades qould be the Ryan Johanson trade/the follow up signing at that price.

But honestly I dont blane your GM for the deal nor do I think it hurt or help in the long wrong. A literal nothing burger.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Simmonds looked done all season. He was the big trade target that most fan bases flagged as "please, GM, don't trade for him!"

Yeah he was one of those hockey media darling targets that wasn't actually all that good. I remember Cody Ceci was pretty high on the "trade bait" list as well and i always thought oh dear god stay away when his name was mentioned..

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Talk about a guy killing his value going into a contract year.. jeez.

I wouldn't want anything to do with this guy on his next contract. Someone is still going to give him 6 x 5 I bet

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
IMO...

Preds got caught playing the waiting game. Probably had their hand in on a few other players that they didn't get... so then they felt like they HAD TO DO something and there Simmonds was.

Given who I root for, it comes as no surprise I don't mind what the Preds gave up for Simmonds/the move in general. With a team like theirs, how could you not try it?

Poile went for it, and sometimes it just doesn't work. It happens, the Preds will be fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I guess the Jackets doing pretty well means that the "omg those deadline deals are bad" crowd had to pick somebody else to scream at. :dunno:

Reactions: VP

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Getting big old slow guys for the playoffs is just an outdated strategy. It seems like these old school hockey GM’s are the very last to get the memo. Rocco Grimaldi ended up being their highest scoring forward.

Anyway, yes a series of bad trades there, but not awful. You can afford to kiss on one of those occasionally. If you throw away picks/young players too often, the post cup window period will be very painful.

Reactions: Babych44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad