The shootout

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He only had one more shootout attempt after that WC goal.

He had 8 attempts last season. 5 times he used his backhand/forehand move and 3 times he went backhand.

A couple times the goalie read the move, but a couple times he just flat out missed the net and/or didn't get the puck up. He also missed the net on one of his backhand attempts.

Thank you for clarifying that. That's not nearly as bad as I would have thought going off of memory. Hopefully he is healed up and able to deke better next year, and converts more. Decking with a bum knee has gotta be pretty hard.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think it is pretty clear looking at those attempts recently that he has adopted a rather sneaky shootout system which is just a 2 step deke.

1) Move to backhand

2) Move to forehand

The Shot comes either after step one (backhand just over the pad, or top cheese)
Or after he pulls it to the forehand (just over the pad, OR completely around the goalie, OR top cheese)

It seems that if the goalie doesn't commit to the backhand move, he shoots,
If he does commit, he pulls forehand to make the goalie move, which is usually too late.

Most of his missed attempts are VERY close to actually being goals.

The move itself is pretty good because they both line up the same way.

I think although he has some sneakier , niftier moves, that this 1/2 system is pretty much unstoppable by the goalie.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Datsyuk basically does two moves now:
1) his usual backhand forehand
2) backhand (see the two goals he scored against the Leafs around the New Year)

He'll shoot once in a rare while as well, but goalies are going to take their chances that one of those two dekes are coming.

It's actually a good concept because the two moves counter each other. The problem is that he hasn't been executing as well as he'd like (whether that's missing the net or not getting them up high enough), plus the goalies basically have a 50% chance of guessing how to play it.

When the shootout was fresh, goalies were clueless and terrified of Datsyuk because they had no idea what he might do. That's why you'd see them go fishing on his backhand/forehand deke. They now know his bread and butter. He should try better to adapt, but it's easier said than done. It's like telling a pitcher with a full count not to throw one of his best two pitches.

The actual "The Datsyuk" move simply can't be used often by him. There's a reason why we've only seen him attempt it 5 times in his career in the NHL. Twice it's been saved, including the last time he attempted it in a shootout (Mike Smith). He'd basically have to use the counter to that move (which is actually shooting blocker side) far more often for that move to continue to fool goalies (trust me, I've found out for myself as a skater.) But even then, goalies would quickly adapt and start guessing. Goalies have the advantage in the shootouts as is. And the more a shooter goes, i have to imagine that those odds probably only get stronger.

If there's one idea I think Datsyuk could incorporate more often it's going Patrick Kane style. Go in very slow while stickhandling in tight and attempt to let the goalie make the first move and then trust your instincts. He has the hands and quickness that should allow him to have some early success with it.

You're right, I just youtubed it, nice save by Smith. For some reason, I thought he's only tried it 3 times, and scored on all 3. Still, had he roofed it, that would have been a goal. He had Smith biting on it, but couldn't roof it. Good athleticism by Smith to get over for the save. The move does work though, I love trying it, and it usually worked if done correctly. The key is getting the goalie to truly bite that you are gonna shoot, and to go down. If you get that, the rest is just patience and edgework. Obviously easier said than done, and you need to be a good player to even have the skillset to make it work. Of course the goalies I am trying it on are not NHL caliber goalies either.

I still think he needs to try it more, and use that forehand backhand garbage less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad