The shootout

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
...a little sour grapes here, but not a ton.

I think the shootout has to go. This is a team game, and for a skills competition to be deciding games (and our season) I think is bad. Sure, we were on both ends of shootouts - wins and losses, but I am really looking at this overall.

I'd rather see them play 4 on 3 for 40 second "periods" until someone wins. Sudden death - home team starts with 4. If they don't score in 40 seconds, then the visitors get 4 players v. 3. This continues until someone scores. And, icing would NOT be allowed during this.

I would be willing to bet that this would take about the same amount of time as a regular OT. It sure seems like someone would score within 10 minutes or so.

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
I agree something has to be done about the shootout, but that's just way too much of a home ice advantage.

...then maybe not as sudden death. Each team gets one 4V3 opportunity per set. If the team who has 4 first scores, great. Then the other team gets 4. Score and do it again. If they don't, it is over.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
How about 3 points for a regulation or OT win, 2 points for a shootout win and 1 point for a OT or shootout loss.

CBJwheel

Mar 4, 2007
Findlay
Just an idea but what if we moved away from the point system?

For example, teams are ranked by regulation and over time wins. First tie breaker is ROW + shoot out wins. Second is fewest regulation losses (versus OT losses).

Then head to head, etc.

Just an idea I had. Feel free to flame :). I just think the point system is a bit flawed. Plus this encourages teams to win in regulation

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
...then maybe not as sudden death. Each team gets one 4V3 opportunity per set. If the team who has 4 first scores, great. Then the other team gets 4. Score and do it again. If they don't, it is over.

2:00 of 4v3. If don't score, the other team gets 2:00 to win it.

If the first team scores during their 2:00, the other team gets the opportunity to score in less time. So, Team 1 scores in 45 seconds, Team 2 gets 45 seconds to win. Any shorty is an instant winner.

As dumb as the shootout, so make it happen.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
...a little sour grapes here, but not a ton.

I think the shootout has to go. This is a team game, and for a skills competition to be deciding games (and our season) I think is bad. Sure, we were on both ends of shootouts - wins and losses, but I am really looking at this overall.

I'd rather see them play 4 on 3 for 40 second "periods" until someone wins. Sudden death - home team starts with 4. If they don't score in 40 seconds, then the visitors get 4 players v. 3. This continues until someone scores. And, icing would NOT be allowed during this.

I would be willing to bet that this would take about the same amount of time as a regular OT. It sure seems like someone would score within 10 minutes or so.

I would rather do two 4 minute 4 on 4 periods followed by 3 on 3 until there is a winner. I don't think you would get to the 3 on 3 too often, but who knows.

Then change the points system to make it more important to win in regulation.

Moch Daear

Jan 9, 2011
No more three point games.

At the end of regulation, Team A leads - they get two points
If tied at end of regulation, ten mins of OT is played - winner gets two points
If there is no winner, each team is awarded one point.

Feel free to adjust the OT if necessary - but it's high time the shootout was dropped, as well as these three point games.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I think we should replace the shootout with a pie eating contest.

We would have been great at this with Commodore and Voracek on the team...

I think the best, most logical option (other than bringing back the dreaded TIE) would be to simply play hockey until someone can't play hockey anymore. We play sudden death OT in the playoffs, baseball plays extra innings until there is a winner - heck, even the NBA plays OT until it finds a winner. I say, go from 5 on 5 in regulation, to 4 on 4 in OT - maybe for 10 minutes, or a full 20 minute period. After that, if there is still no winner, then maybe you go to 3 on 3 (I'm personally against this idea, would prefer it stays at 4 on 4) until someone scores a goal.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I love the shoot out. It is a great showcase for the tremendous offensive skills of the players, skills which all too often aren't demonstrated in today's defense-oriented game. I only wish that the format would be expanded to 5 shooters instead of 3.

I suppose that OT could be extended to 10 minutes, but it still would be a 4 on 4 affair. Going to 3 on 3 resembles "normal" hockey about as much as the SO does.

Tie breakers are never going to seem "fair" when they go against your team. C'est la vie.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I love the shoot out. It is a great showcase for the tremendous offensive skills of the players, skills which all too often aren't demonstrated in today's defense-oriented game. I only wish that the format would be expanded to 5 shooters instead of 3.

I suppose that OT could be extended to 10 minutes, but it still would be a 4 on 4 affair. Going to 3 on 3 resembles "normal" hockey about as much as the SO does.

Tie breakers are never going to seem "fair" when they go against your team. C'est la vie.

That is fine, but IMO, the shootout is the dumbest thing (when it comes to determining who wins a game) in sports. 3 on 3 isn't great, but at least you still involve forwards, defenders, and a goaltender.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
That is fine, but IMO, the shootout is the dumbest thing (when it comes to determining who wins a game) in sports. 3 on 3 isn't great, but at least you still involve forwards, defenders, and a goaltender.

And passing and transition game and players on the ice having to play both offense and defense. To say 3 on 3 is as close to hockey as the shootout is, is quite a bit of hyperbole.

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005
Gary Bettman must have failed at math.
This is teh way it should be if your awarding 3 pt games

Win in regulation: 3 pts
Loss in Regulation: 0 pts
Win in OT or Shootout: 2 Pts
Loss in OT or Shootout: 1 Pt

This will have every game being awarded 3 points, no matter what the outcome. Why the NHL cant do this is beyond stupid.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010

This will have every game being awarded 3 points, no matter what the outcome. Why the NHL cant do this is beyond stupid.

They can do that, they just don't want to. If you use that system, you don't have a log jam of teams fighting for the final spot on the final day creating more hype, excitement, ratings, and ultimately more money.

It doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense, it makes money.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

I wanted the SO because I was tired of ties never thinking three point games would have so much impact... Your point system is the way it should be done but will never happen. Teams won't play for OT or the SO under your system.... It reflects the actual value of effort over time...

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio

Agreed 100%

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005
They can do that, they just don't want to. If you use that system, you don't have a log jam of teams fighting for the final spot on the final day creating more hype, excitement, ratings, and ultimately more money.

It doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense, it makes money.

What the current actually does is gives those teams a false sense of hope, that they are good enough to make the playoffs because they were only 3 points away from the playoffs. when they are not good teams to be in the playoffs The Flames have operated under this illusion to a T. They should have gotten rid of Iggy and Kipper when they had better value and started the re-build 2 years ago, but because they were "in the mix" with all these loser points.

The NHL knows this system is wrong, along with how the shootout is. Why else is the ROW column is there now? The NHL is so backwards in this, and it actually ruins the integrity of the game

Why is the NFL so successful, even down the stretch? Only 6 spots in each conference are given out of 16 teams, but there is no gimmick with their league.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
My view on the point system is well documented. We need to expand OT to 10 minutes. We also need to ban the spin-o-rama.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
What the current actually does is gives those teams a false sense of hope, that they are good enough to make the playoffs because they were only 3 points away from the playoffs. when they are not good teams to be in the playoffs The Flames have operated under this illusion to a T. They should have gotten rid of Iggy and Kipper when they had better value and started the re-build 2 years ago, but because they were "in the mix" with all these loser points.

The NHL knows this system is wrong, along with how the shootout is. Why else is the ROW column is there now? The NHL is so backwards in this, and it actually ruins the integrity of the game

Why is the NFL so successful, even down the stretch? Only 6 spots in each conference are given out of 16 teams, but there is no gimmick with their league.

One way or another each game should have the same number of points on the table... If the NHL wants to keep the SO every game should be worth 3 points... Some games worth 2 points and others 3 points is not consistent.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I like the idea sort of jokingly proposed on the MvsW podcast...

Have the shootout at the start of the game. Then both teams play the game knowing from the onset who will win if the game is tied. If the game is not tied, the shootout had no meaning other than to give the fans a show.

In reality though, I'd rather do away with the whole thing to begin with, or if you have to do it, at lest use 5 shooters to lesson the effect of a small sample size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad