The Sens Had A Great Draft!

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
The one thing that is really frustrating is the Senators lack of picks in the top end of the last two drafs (or at least looking that way with Maidens likely being done for his career. As I have lost faith in Maidens. Over the last 2 drafts you add everything together. The Senators haven't had a 2nd round pick in both drafts along with 1 3rd if Maidens is forced to quit playing hockey due to concussion issues. Thats a tough blow and whats worse is we don't have a 1st this year as it was traded away for Bobby Ryan and its a trade I am still contemplating. I would of kept Silfverberg and Noesen. But the team needed a sniper and they got one.

Anyhow all I am saying is its so surprising that we have lost all these picks but yet the teams future is still extremely bright in so many elements. We look back at the 2012 draft and there were a few positives one promising and longterm and maybe 1 surprise with a bunch of projects. Cody Ceci we know is going to be a Stellar and Outstanding NHL Player. Chris Driedger longterm can be special if he continues to develop as planned. And possess alot of projects like Jarrod Maidens, Francios Brassard, Tim Boyle etc. To go along with the other prospects like Puempel, Zibanjad, Stone, Prince, Pageau etc.

Then this upcoming draft was coming take Noesen out of the equation and this happens. You go into the draft not knowing what your going to get out of the 1st round pick cause your drafting 17th and no one knows who will drop to that pick.

Then you draft a player who said Great Pick, He is being compared to Jared Stoll but has potential to be as good as Mike Richards! And alot of anticipation etc. And 12 games into the season LOOK AT THAT. Curtis Lazar is tearing up the WHL. He might not be in the top 20 in scoring but the kid has looked UNREAL! 10 goals in 12 games along with 9 assists and he has been maybe one of the most devastating and fatal players in the league. Make this one your christmas list. Lazar will be playing on team Canada in the World Juniors. And hes going to continue to dominate. He is industrious, high character, humble, intelligent and smart player. He is Going To Be A Star and is on pace for 50 goals this season as an 18 year old. I'm thinking Eberle now especially with the hard shot.

Later on in the draft in the 5th Round the Sens draft a local boy from Gatineau named Vincent Dunn a player not many people knew about but potential is phenominal! Started off this season rough. Looked tenuous in the first 8 games but in the next 9 what do you know. He has scored 1 goal in 9 straight games 9. Look it Up i'm serious. Now you have a player who may be a late round steal and whats incredible about him is that he is a local boy too and you look at the Jean Gabriel Pageaus, Cody Ceci, Marc Methots of the world it just adds to the tradition. It adds another promising player to the future to go along with his potential. Vincent Dunn is a pest, a huge pest, he plays in your face, tough areas, gets dirty, very physical player for a player with his height. Now I am comparing him to Brad Marchand. Dunn is incredimbly talented and has a huge pedigree ahead of him in the NHL. I say this kid is the real deal. Mark Stone 2.0. 5TH Round Pick.

Then in the 3rd and 4th Rounds you draft 2 players whos longterm potential is amazing. They draft a behemoth of a goalie by the name of Marcus Hodberg who is 6'5 and has promising stats for an under the radar player no one really knew about. But hey recall Erik Karlsson and look at that. Norris Winner. Hodbergs potential is incredible. he just needs to reach it over the next 4 years then he will be ready for the show. A future Robin Lehner.

Then to the 4th Round we go and the Senators draft a player I have been a fan of forever. Ben Harpur A stay at home defenseman with wonderful offensive potential that can make him a future top 4 NHL Defenceman. There are questions that Harpur needs to work on his skating and lack of physicality. But his ultimate potential is huge and he is reaching it right now. When Ben Harpur is on his game he is CLUTCH. A Game Changer and a player every team absolutely hates to play against and a player you can't beat cause he's 6'6 on his skates. Huge! So far this season Harpur has been that. Playing on a Western Conference Contender Guelph Storm. Harpur has been an integral part to their early success. Has showed Intelligence, Physicality, Hustle, Compositor, Competitiveness etc. And is only 4 points away from breaking his points total from last season from 15 (3 goals & 5 Assists). This year add all of those elements from earlier to a solid offensive production for the Storm from the bad end with 3 goals and 9 assists in only 12 games. Remember he only had 15 points last year and in 17 games. Harpur has progressed so fast in such a short period of time its dazzling. I told everyone REMEMBER THIS NAME BEN HARPUR.

The Sens also drafted a player named Tobias Lindholm who I like but is a longterm project and I haven't been too impressed with him. But I Love Lazar, Dunn, Harpur and Hodberg. The 4 of them give us something to look forward to in the future. I am telling everyone Vincent Dunn is going to be special. I see a future Brad Marchand. A player who hustles every single game giving 200%, Drops the Gloves, Pisses the other team off, feisty player teams hate. And Mark Stone 2.0. Maybe he will even be Brandon Gallahger. Gallager was also a 5th Round Pick by Monteal in 2010. Look how good he is. So maybe Brendan Gallagher 2.0.

And I'm from Guelph and have had a passion for Ben Harpur. He is just so fun to watch and has a spectacular future. His ceiling is outstanding and has top 4 NHL Potential. And he was once compared to Brett Burns by a scout. That's pretty impressive. If Harpur can become Anything Close to that thats Astonishing. So excited.

With good drafting comes good Management and Personnel and the Sens have that lead by Tim Murray, Pierre Dorion, Randy Lee and the rest of the scouting staff. To go along with an already stable farm system that also possesses names like Cody Ceci, Matt Puempel, Mark Stone, Shane Prince, Jean Gabriel Pageau etc. I really hope that Murray retires this year. He will be 71 and has done what he said he would. He would rebuild the team and head them in the right direction and he has done just that. Now he can pass the reigns over to Tim Murray to lead Ottawa into that Winning Culture they are trying to build and promote Pierre Dorion to Assistant GM for his remarkable job with drafting and finding late bloomers and players we never heard about to become quality player. Those 2 have done so well Bryan should be forced to retire. But with his relationship with Melnyk he can stay as long as he wants while Tim and Pierre Wait.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I love your enthusiasm but I think you're jumping the gun on most of the prospects you've mentioned. I actually share your feelings about Lazar but I'm in "wait and see" mode for the rest of them. Some guys keep improving and some guys just flat line at some point so it's just too early to say which is which.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Seem to be pretty optimistic here. Nice for you. Lazar yes. The rest let's see.
Also i don't think maidens is finished just needs more time.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Doesn't matter, I feel pretty gyped so far this year. We should be in the mix and contending. I always feel pretty good when we play poor it gives us a high pick to cheer for but not this year.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If its any consolation, spring 2014 draft is considered to be weak.

Also, if we are definitely out of a playoff race, it would not surprise me to see Murray trade for a 1st round draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad