OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Mid-Winter Blues Music

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Someone shared this video with me recently and it reminded me so much of @Deport Ogie 's statement about them being a social experiment, I had to share it here too...

Reactions: Deport Ogie

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Someone shared this video with me recently and it reminded me so much of @Deport Ogie 's statement about them being a social experiment, I had to share it here too...

I think honestly if I had never seen live video of them performing they would just be a band I don't care for. But jesus man, any performance is basically Buckingham and Nicks each trying to sing louder and fancier than the other. And why does Mick Fleetwood insist on making such dumb ****ing orgasm faces while he plays??!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think honestly if I had never seen live video of them performing they would just be a band I don't care for. But jesus man, any performance is basically Buckingham and Nicks each trying to sing louder and fancier than the other. And why does Mick Fleetwood insist on making such dumb ****ing orgasm faces while he plays??!

I turned it off as soon as Nicks started doing the billy goat imitation.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

new album is pretty sweet

I have to say that among the indie crowd Pitchfork favorites, Animal Collective is the one that consistently leaves me cold. Very clewer and talented I'm sure, but to my ears much too talented and clewer for their own good then. This track to me is just a garbled "see what we can do" mess that never gets me invested at all.
I have had that feeling with them since Panda Bear's Person Pitch back in the day. An album I was also made to understand was a master piece. Well, suppose it's me not getting it, but there it is.

That Purple Mountain track was really neat, sad-sweet and odd-ball though, and made me want to dig into them more. Then I googled and understood that sadly this is the only album we are going to get. Will Spotify it on my walk home from work.

Reactions: dogthateats

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
My favorite album of 2019

Was a great listen. I live 35 minutes walk from my office, so took it from the top on my way back.

Knowing in advance that he killed himself later that year, one has to say it was somewhat morbid also, yet that outcome seems the least surprising thing in the world given the lyrics. A self depreciating- and aware charm throughout though - and not a little humor (Margaritas at the Mall, for one).
Surreal or somewhat disconcerting how many of the tracks carried an upbeat pleasantness, at the same time as... what... resigned despair (?)... is just flowing from the frontman. When I got through Nights That Won't Happen, I was ready for a break.

Reactions: dogthateats

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Was a great listen. I live 35 minutes walk from my office, so took it from the top on my way back.

Knowing in advance that he killed himself later that year, one has to say it was somewhat morbid also, yet that outcome seems the least surprising thing in the world given the lyrics. A self depreciating- and aware charm throughout though - and not a little humor (Margaritas at the Mall, for one).
Surreal or somewhat disconcerting how many of the tracks carried an upbeat pleasantness, at the same time as... what... resigned despair (?)... is just flowing from the frontman. When I got through Nights That Won't Happen, I was ready for a break.
Nice, glad that you enjoyed it. If interested you may want to check out his other band Silver Jews. Less sad, but still odd and fun. American Water is kind of their classic album, but I kind of gravitate towards their other works. (Might be bc I have listened to American Water so many times)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I have to say that among the indie crowd Pitchfork favorites, Animal Collective is the one that consistently leaves me cold. Very clewer and talented I'm sure, but to my ears much too talented and clewer for their own good then. This track to me is just a garbled "see what we can do" mess that never gets me invested at all.
I have had that feeling with them since Panda Bear's Person Pitch back in the day. An album I was also made to understand was a master piece. Well, suppose it's me not getting it, but there it is.

That Purple Mountain track was really neat, sad-sweet and odd-ball though, and made me want to dig into them more. Then I googled and understood that sadly this is the only album we are going to get. Will Spotify it on my walk home from work.

I’m fully onboard with this take. Animal Collective has never connected with me.

I liked Panda Bear’s track on the Daft Punk album.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I really liked the stretch of albums: Sung Tongs, Feels, and Strawberry Jam. I wasn’t really into MPP as much and then they kind of lost me with their more experimental stuff. Have been into the new album though.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
In honour of this tweet

I always knew Greenwood was a smart fella. Much better approach to fake it quietly than overplay loudly. At least in my experience for whatever very little that matters.

I have a soft spot for BOC. Particularly their cheesy deep cuts. Well... E.T.I. probably isn't THAT deep of a cut, I guess.

Reactions: Peat

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I’ve been meaning to listen to Big Star more. They are one of those bands that my favorites bands have cited as an influence, but I only know a handful of their songs.

Well luckily for you they only put out three albums, really. The third of which is damned good but probably not up to par with the first two, #1 Record and Radio City... which is where I would start as neither album has much in the way of skippers. They never had any "hits" really but you might know "In The Streets" as "That 70s Show" opening song (covered by Cheap Trick) and "September Gurls" was covered by The Bengals.

You can't really go wrong with any song off the first two. And I'd check out Third/Sister Lovers at some point, too if you end up digging the band.

Codeine seems like a real sad drug.

This might be one of the saddest songs written of all time.

Townes was good at that.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Well luckily for you they only put out three albums, really. The third of which is damned good but probably not up to par with the first two, #1 Record and Radio City... which is where I would start as neither album has much in the way of skippers. They never had any "hits" really but you might know "In The Streets" as "That 70s Show" opening song (covered by Cheap Trick) and "September Gurls" was covered by The Bengals.

You can't really go wrong with any song off the first two. And I'd check out Third/Sister Lovers at some point, too if you end up digging the band.
Awesome, thanks! Yeah, I am familiar with In the Street and Thirteen (thanks to the Elliott Smith cover)

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad