Prospect Info: The Second Overall Pick Thread: Part IV (Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

The Americans
(Breakdown by John Wroblewski)
Jack Hughes
NHL player comparable: Connor McDavid
The breakdown: “Both great skaters. Connor is more of a north-south guy, and Jack will beat you east-west. His edges are so good. The similarity for me is how brave both are to bring pucks into the hard areas of the ice. For being burners they’re also both manipulative on the power play. … They can slow things down too.”

The Rest of the Field

(Breakdown by an NHL amateur scout)
Kaapo Kakko
NHL player comparable: Peter Forsberg
The breakdown: “When you watch him play at whatever level, he uses his body and his power. The way he comes out of corners, the way he attacks the net – there’s a lot of similarities with the way he plays and the way Peter Forsberg plays.”

Reactions: GodlyRangers

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have read the Forsberg comparisons to Kakko before, but am hesitant. While he certainly uses his body, I do not get the sense that he plays with a level of meanness that Foppa played with. Forsberg definitely arrived at the puck with ill humor. Does Kakko truly bring such physicality with his game?

Reactions: RGY

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I have read the Forsberg comparisons to Kakko before, but am hesitant. While he certainly uses his body, I do not get the sense that he plays with a level of meanness that Foppa played with. Forsberg definitely arrived at the puck with ill humor. Does Kakko truly bring such physicality with his game?

Probably not but Forsberg also played in a time where you could get away with a little more and the comparison is I think more about his play with the puck

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Probably not but Forsberg also played in a time where you could get away with a little more and the comparison is I think more about his play with the puck
That I can understand. But when I think of comparisons, I think of likening a player to another. Not just aspects. Eh, whatever. Not going to nit pick this. Was just curious about the viewpoint from those that have watched him a lot more than I have.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That I can understand. But when I think of comparisons, I think of likening a player to another. Not just aspects. Eh, whatever. Not going to nit pick this. Was just curious about the viewpoint from those that have watched him a lot more than I have.

I mean I haven't watched him a ton but what I've seen, he's not nasty going after the puck, more tenacious.
Player comparisons are always kind of silly though because rarely do two players play exactly the same so there's always going to be a "but..." argument

Kakko's puck control in tight spaces and along the boards reminds people of Forsberg, but it's just a resemblance

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I mean I haven't watched him a ton but what I've seen, he's not nasty going after the puck, more tenacious.
Player comparisons are always kind of silly though because rarely do two players play exactly the same so there's always going to be a "but..." argument

Kakko's puck control in tight spaces and along the boards reminds people of Forsberg, but it's just a resemblance

nhl comparisons for draft prospects that you haven't seen is always an odd one for me...on one hand I find them fun cause in a shortened scouting reports so many players sound the same, but on the other hand it 100% unfairly skews your view of a player good or bad based on your thoughts of that nhl player

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Those are horrific.

I've only done a smidge of research compared to some of the other posters here, but even that was enough to know how bad this is. Caufield's best comp is... Ovi?!?!?!

You couldn't go back through history and find a single undersized scorer with a big shot as a comp, and so instead you went with a dude who is a 6'3, 235lbs. bull and whose game is in large part predicated on those attributes?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Those are horrific.

I've only done a smidge of research compared to some of the other posters here, but even that was enough to know how bad this is. Caufield's best comp is... Ovi?!?!?!

You couldn't go back through history and find a single undersized scorer with a big shot as a comp, and so instead you went with a dude who is a 6'3, 235lbs. bull and whose game is in large part predicated on those attributes?
Hughes as McDavid was wild as well. It's quite clear he's most comparable to Patrick Kane.

Cozens as Bergeron was another head scratcher. Don't see a similar game there at all.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Wrobleweski is their head coach. He’s obviously pumping his own kids tires a bit here, so take it with a grain of salt.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Caufield is a pure goal scorer/sniper. Ovechkin is the best goal scorer in the NHL.

Knight and Barrasso. Both of them are/were really good puck handling goaltenders. Barrasso is one of the best puck handling goaltenders in NHL history.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Pronman has ranked the best draft prospects in the last 5 years.

McDavid
Laine
Matthews
Hughes
Eichel
Dahlin

7-Kaapo Kakko, 2019 draft: Kakko had a fantastic season in Finland between Liiga and the World Championship. Some scouts think his season was more impressive than Aleksander Barkov’s at the same age. Kakko’s right on track to step into the league next season and be a cornerstone player for an NHL club’s (New York Rangers) rebuild.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Who did the Athletic have for Turcotte? I keep coming back to Keith Premieau in my own head lately.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Still. He couldn't go back to, say, Theo Fleury for Caufield? He used Barrasso for Knight, for crying out loud.
I’m not disagreeing, I’m just adding the context for why they seem way too unrealistic. A guy like Turcotte is like a physical Dylan Larkin. Cozens is like Zibanejad, etc.

I think there’s still some valuable information there if you can read between the lines a bit.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Pronman has ranked the best draft prospects in the last 5 years.

McDavid
Laine
Matthews
Hughes
Eichel
Dahlin

Feels like Laine should be lower on that list. Does he mean as they were as prospects coming out, or as they've since become?

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Kakko was a superior prospect to Laine entering the draft. The other five I might agree with but I personally put Eichel/Kakko/Hughes in a similar tier.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Feels like Laine should be lower on that list. Does he mean as they were as prospects coming out, or as they've since become?

The list is based on draft day evaluations. Puljujarvi is 8th on the list and wouldn't be anywhere near this list if it were based on actual post-draft performance.

Reactions: mschmidt64
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad