The Second 2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Christ, the way fans talk about this team it is as if they are 0-7 .

Where do you see anyone talking about the team like it's 0-7?? I'm not seeing that... The AHL play leans toward a strong defensive game throughout the league. Right now the comets have overcome their defensive lapses. Eventually that will catch up to them as teams adjust.

You need to look no further than the Maple Leafs to see how teams playing this style of hockey end up at year's end.

Comets should handle a weak Bingo team Wednesday, then on to the weekend home games!! We will enjoy their strong play as long as it lasts!!

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Christ, the way fans talk about this team it is as if they are 0-7 .

That’s bull#!*&.

When the team played well, people said the team played well.

When the team played only alright, people pointed out who was good and who made mistakes.

When the team played like #!*& as a whole people pointed out that the goaltending was great and the 4th line was really good and that the rest of the team played like #!*&.

In other words, the reports are realistic and objective. In bad games, the good is pointed out and the bad is noted.

I want to know what’s actually happening. I’m not here to lead cheers nor for emotional support of my need to feel good about the team. It's fine, even good if people do want to come here to cheer and I have no complaint about it, but the cheerleaders constantly complain about the rest of us. It is ridiculous to complain that people on a discussion board are discussing what is actually happening instead of shouting “the Comets are great, the prospects are sensational” so that we can all feel good about it.

If you don't want to read anything negative, you can largely accomplish that by putting those of us who post things you don't want to read on your Ignore list. I'm a great fan of that feature, use it liberally and hope that those who don't want to read my stuff do the same with me.

They won't miss much by ignoring me, but they'll miss some great reporting by some of those from the Utica area who let us know how the prospects are really looking so we aren't surprised when, for example, Brisebois who was pumped by Canuck management ever since he was drafted and through the end of last season, isn't already with the Canucks as a regular.

Last edited:

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
There's being positive for no reason and there's this - it's certainly a bit odd that there's so many negative comments about the team's play considering the team is 7-0 and that Comets fans have been much more quiet lately than when the team sucked. Just like I think a lot of Comets fans think Canucks fans have rose-coloured glasses on when watching these prospects, I'm starting to think some fans of the Comets only see the bad.

As for the Comets offense being enough to compensate for their defensive lapses: they have allowed 13 goals in 7 games for a 1.86 goals against average. That is absolutely brilliant defense so far in any hockey league in North America. Every team in every league has defensive lapses - there is no such thing as perfection yet that is what seems to be expected for this team.

I don't expect people will be pleased unless this team literally goes 82-0...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This team has the best forward group in the AHL right now and will win a lot of games based on the quality of their 3 scoring lines. Or actually 4 scoring lines based on how well Arseneau is going. The question will obviously be how long Goldobin and Baertschi are actually going to be there. They've also been very fortunate that there have been basically no organizational injuries in October in Utica or Vancouver. This is the healthiest organizational month in ... I don't know when. Fantenberg and Graovac are basically the only guys hurt, and the Graovac injury doesn't even really hurt Utica because they were over the veteran limit anyway.

They've generally played very well to start the season but have also had some ridiculous luck - to be shooting 17% and have your opposition shoot 6% is obviously incredibly unsustainable and basically unheard-of. They're kind of like a baseball team on a 7-game winning streak where they're hitting .480 with runners in scoring position. It's great, but it's going to level out. This is probably a 5-2 or 5-1-1 team that has caught some luck to be 7-0. Which is still really good.

The blueline does look much better than I expected as both Teves and Rafferty have adjusted well to this level. Plus Chatfield has had a big rebound after looking ghastly last year.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
There's being positive for no reason and there's this - it's certainly a bit odd that there's so many negative comments about the team's play considering the team is 7-0 and that Comets fans have been much more quiet lately than when the team sucked. Just like I think a lot of Comets fans think Canucks fans have rose-coloured glasses on when watching these prospects, I'm starting to think some fans of the Comets only see the bad.

As for the Comets offense being enough to compensate for their defensive lapses: they have allowed 13 goals in 7 games for a 1.86 goals against average. That is absolutely brilliant defense so far in any hockey league in North America. Every team in every league has defensive lapses - there is no such thing as perfection yet that is what seems to be expected for this team.

I admit that I post more often when the team is playing bad and it gives me an outlet to complain and vent my frustrations. So I'm making a conscience effort to remain positive and enjoy watching this team play. They aren't going to keep this win streak going forever but I'm happy watching them put two points in the bank every night while it lasts.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
The Canucks best bottom 6 forward is also hurt, Antoine Roussell. As is Gadjovich.

But yeah, sure makes a difference when you’re not one of the most injured teams in the NHL and AHL at the same time.

When you look at the Canucks and Comets rosters it’s staggering to think there really is
No glaring need for either club, when relatively healthy. Front to back, from the forwards through the goaltenders, the quality and depth is impressive.

Reactions: chaputonyou

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
If you have a team that goes 7-0, there's some good stuff happening, and I've said this before, it's a reason to be positive and optimistic.

I think there's a lot to be optimistic - the players added over the past summer have helped stabilize this team. The younger guys who have played here the last year or two are (some, not all) developing and maturing as players and it shows when I have watched game footage. There are even better players coming in 2020/21, because the Canucks depth is much better, which means a Woo, Hoglander, etc aren't getting rushed into the NHL - there won't be any spots available.

Having said that, it's the AHL, and if everyone was perfect, all these Comets players would be playing in the NHL.

Personally, I like reading Thrillhoiaf's Canucks Harvest: The Comets Harvest

Thrill writes a pretty fair and balanced review of how Comets games go. He gives credit where it's due, and identifies Comets players who aren't perfect, even if the score is 8-2 for the Comets. He doesn't go overboard criticizing stuff, and he doesn't dwell on the past. This is an AHL team - every year, new players are going to come in, the parent team will have injuries and the better players will get called up.

It's not easy being the fan of a farm team. In the 80's and 90's I was a fan of the Vancouver Canadians baseball team. No - not the current single A, short season team that is part of the Blue Jays organization. The Triple A Vancouver Canadians that won the Triple A World Series in 1999 was great, but the Oakland A's moved them because Nat Bailey Stadium was far too small to house a Triple A team. I saw some great players come and go in Vancouver including a pre-steroid Sammy Sosa!

I hear you Red. I'm not some optimistic Canucks fan that doesn't realize that the Comets could have been constructed better in the past. I'm just looking at the present and the future, and I think it looks pretty good.

Chaput

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
Depth is the big thing. I think Benning did a great job adding depth to the Canucks and the Comets. That's why both teams have better records so far this season.

The Canucks best bottom 6 forward is also hurt, Antoine Roussell. As is Gadjovich.

But yeah, sure makes a difference when you’re not one of the most injured teams in the NHL and AHL at the same time.

When you look at the Canucks and Comets rosters it’s staggering to think there really is
No glaring need for either club, when relatively healthy. Front to back, from the forwards through the goaltenders, the quality and depth is impressive.

Reactions: go comets

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I admit that I post more often when the team is playing bad and it gives me an outlet to complain and vent my frustrations. So I'm making a conscience effort to remain positive and enjoy watching this team play. They aren't going to keep this win streak going forever but I'm happy watching them put two points in the bank every night while it lasts.

I actually think you're an amazingly fair and balanced poster and have always appreciated your posts here.

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
Totally agree. Utica is a guy I can trust to give a fair opinion of how things are going with the team on-site.

I actually think you're an amazingly fair and balanced poster and have always appreciated your posts here.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
This is a very deep team, when guys like Blujus and Lablanc sit in the stands it says all you need to know. I think even without Goldobin and Baertschi, although scoring would be more challenging, this team should be fine.

The Youngsters all fit in and unlike some of the rookies in the past few seasons, do not look out of place at all. the speed of the game has not bothered them....

I am shocked by Dipietros play, we very rarely see any goaltenders come into this league and have immediate success. He's a lot of fun to watch as he very active and acrobatic.....

Lind and Jacek continue to improve, but we all said last season that they need proper linemates to develop.

All these guys will be forced to up their game as they fight for spots, a ton of competition for a spot in the lineup. competition is a good thing!!!

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
I am hoping 2019 second-round draft pick Nils Hoglander comes to Utica next year....the Canucks looked like they picked up a good prospect. Here he is scoring a 'lacrosse type' goal from around the back of the net with a defenseman all over him...

He's quick, skilled and mobile with a wicked shot...but he doesn't play a Jonathan Dahlen style game either...here he is with a pretty wicked elbow that got him heavily penalized and suspended

Puck control and drive to the net look pretty good..and he's playing men in the SHL...

Hoglander plays a different game from a guy like William Nylander from the Leafs, but what I liked about the Leafs is they let Nylander develop with the Marlies for a few seasons. I am hoping the same thing happens to Hoglander.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Utica Comets are 7-0.
The forwards are the most perfect group of prospects ever assembled.
The d are Likewise.
The Goalies are beyond belief.
There will be at least 18 NHL stars out of this group.

Sheesh! Is this what you want to read?

The team was slow getting on track with 2 4-3 wins on the road, one in OT. Either game could have gone the other way. There were good things and not so good. Both were reported.

The next 3 games they were lights out and stunned 3 very good hockey teams with outstanding team efforts. The reports told you that.

The 6th game the team did not play well and yet put up a 5-1 win on the back of a keeper's huge effort and 3 goals from the 4th line of Arseneau(2G)/Perron(3A)/Bancks(1G). Boucher scored on a PP and Lind scored late into an empty net. Their were a lot of passengers in this one.

Game 7 was a ****fest with enough errors to go around on a team full of tired guys after a Friday night game and a 5 and 1/2 hour bus ride starting at midnight before playing on Saturday night. Yes, they were tired. Cull didn't help by failing to play a couple well rested guys in Blujus and LeBlanc on the backend, both of whom he is going to need as the season progresses. However, this is how the AHL schedule works. Back to backs and 3 in 3 nights and 3 in 4 nights is par for the course every single week and won't float as excuses as the season tightens up. DiPietro WAS well rested and stood on his head giving his mates a spectacular performance. Gaudette was the only goal scorer and Boucher won it in the shootout with Mikey being key once again stopping all 3 Hershey attempts.

We have always in the past and will always in the future tell you what we see. All post game report thus far have heaped praise where deserved and criticism likewise. Critical errors and some of the shortcomings we can see in some of the players will be laid out. This is what you do when you watch a game and make reports to those who didn't. Only relating the good things will give people reason for false expectations. Then the gripes will come criticizing the homers who didn't tell you the whole story. If all you want is the good stuff, ignore those who tell it like it is and zero in on the reports from the eternal optimists who somehow can't or don't want to see the other stuff. One word of advice. Quit reading stats to tell yourself how well guys must be doing. It is often a false narrative, especially when considering how a particular player's game will translate to the NHL from the AHL. For most of them this is the end of the line. Especially how Benning adds a new prospect or 2 to his roster every year and then fills in what he's missing with long term contracts.

Getting to Vancouver if you don't get there right out of the gate will be a very tough task. Getting to the show is a tough task in any organization, but it's been even harder for Canucks prospects outside of the 1st round. You can argue that's the case everywhere and you'd have a point, but we keep seeing players in this league play against the Comets for a season or longer and then move onto the NHL rosters. Demko is basically it when talking about draft picks within in the organization starting out in the AHL and moving onto Vancouver. Benning's 7th draft is coming up. Yup, his blue chip, can't miss selections have made it. There has been one of them every year (and some would argue he's 50% there). The rest of the NHL has the same thing happen. It's the other 6 every draft I'm talking about. This team should be burgeoning with Vancouver draft selections chomping at the bit to make the move. It's just not so and that's why JIM keeps handing out multi-year contracts to free agents. He doesn't expect these kids to make it and is surprised to see some who might, but he won't give them a shot over any of his free agent signings. Why is Gaudette riding the pressbox pony? He's a perfect example. They just won't take the time and invest some trust in any kid who doesn't blow their sox off.
I'm not really sure where this rambling dissertation is actually going. But hockey is a game of mistakes. You just hope your guys make fewer of them than the other team.

D-men will cough up the puck and blow the coverage; forwards will turn pucks over in the neutral zone; and goalies will go into a funk and whiff on a couple of long ones. That's hockey. And the AHL as a development league is full of mistakes.

Would the Comets benefit from a couple of grizzled veteran d-men or a 10-year pro at center? Probably. But you're missing the point of the AHL. If you can let your young prospects play through their mistakes AND win games at the same time--then that's the quintessential definition of a successful farm team.

Sure the Comets are outscoring their mistakes right now; and their goaltending has been sublime. But why can't you just enjoy the ride while it lasts?

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I am hoping 2019 second-round draft pick Nils Hoglander comes to Utica next year....the Canucks looked like they picked up a good prospect. Here he is scoring a 'lacrosse type' goal from around the back of the net with a defenseman all over him...

He's quick, skilled and mobile with a wicked shot...but he doesn't play a Jonathan Dahlen style game either...here he is with a pretty wicked elbow that got him heavily penalized and suspended

Puck control and drive to the net look pretty good..and he's playing men in the SHL...

Hoglander plays a different game from a guy like William Nylander from the Leafs, but what I liked about the Leafs is they let Nylander develop with the Marlies for a few seasons. I am hoping the same thing happens to Hoglander.

Awesome highlights.... But unfortunately Benning likes his new toys today vrs tommorow.....

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
Good point, but the Canucks have a lot of depth and young talent on their roster right now with veterans brought in on contracts that won't expire next year. In the old days when the team had less depth, Benning would have rushed the toys on to the Canucks roster...but unless he trades off a lot of players, I can't see that happening. Of course, if a guy like Hoglander has an outstanding camp, who knows?

Awesome highlights.... But unfortunately Benning likes his new toys today vrs tommorow.....

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Ya I'm not sure where the criticism comes from. A book that teaches people how to criticize someone likely won't sell but a book that teaches how to support someone does. I think it's human nature or part of our society to be quieter when things are good. I mean who wants to talk to a friend who thinks their life is absolutely perfect with nothing to B about on a regular basis? At least talk about how stupid your dog is or something.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Comets should handle a weak Bingo team Wednesday, then on to the weekend home games!! We will enjoy their strong play as long as it lasts!!
I hope that the Comets don't take Binghamton too lightly tonight. Could be a trap game. It's tough to keep beating the same team three times in a row and Bingo just handed the Marlies their first loss of the season. Keep the foot on the gas don't let up.

Reactions: Red and go comets

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Hoping to see Biega's replacement, but that might take until Friday. Sautner back to the pay hike and more popcorn. So much for rotating the pressbox call-up so one guy doesn't miss all the time to play hockey. If the call-up is just for insurance, I am sure Breezy and Chatty could also use some extra cash. Sautner seems to being typecast as the guy to sit while not actually fitting into any future plans.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Hoping to see Biega's replacement, but that might take until Friday. Sautner back to the pay hike and more popcorn. So much for rotating the pressbox call-up so one guy doesn't miss all the time to play hockey. If the call-up is just for insurance, I am sure Breezy and Chatty could also use some extra cash. Sautner seems to being typecast as the guy to sit while not actually fitting into any future plans.
I think they are just rewarding Sautner that has been around longer and probably has less future in the big league

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

No, Sautner is the guy up with the Canucks because there is a possibility another defender gets hurt and the organization see’s Ashton as the best bet to step in and perform.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

No, Sautner is the guy up with the Canucks because there is a possibility another defender gets hurt and the organization see’s Ashton as the best bet to step in and perform.

Uh, you're probably both right?

Sautner is the safest guy to call up and play 12-13 minutes on a 3rd pair and not hurt you ... and is also the oldest guy down there and pretty much a finished product as a fringe guy, and I suspect the organization feels far better about parking him in the press box over a Rafferty or Brisebois and cares more about the limited utility they can get out of him more than any future development that still might happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad