The season is over...What steps should the team take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Can one step that is taken be that bluedevil is no longer allowed to start threads? :sarcasm: At least the guy is consistent.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
1) All jerseys and equipment to be returned to the training staff.
2) Vacate locker room.
3) Remove ice surface from the arena floor.
4) Clearance sale on all seasonal merchandise.
5) Mail STH renewal packages.
6) Draft a Plymouth Whaler.

Dunno if it got lost in the other thread or just that no one cared, but Justin Peters' brother is a 6'3" 207 lb defenseman who plays for Plymouth. That'll satisfy two criteria.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Peters is ranked about 50 spots higher than Wesley and is slightly larger. He seems like a legit mid-round prospect.

Chances are they will take both though.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I have no idea if he's any good in the OHL or has any potential, but there's definitely some good genetics there with Wesley. Many of these kids are playing loads of hockey (some year round) from the day they can skate. Wesley basically played only rec/house league hockey until probably 2nd year Peewee or maybe even 1st year Bantam level.

Obviously his name opens some doors as well, but he's not a kid that played a ton of hockey all of his life as he didn't start playing any travel hockey at all until later than most.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Well, I just posted something over on the GDT that I probably should have just posted here. Canes have 9 games before the break. If they go 3-6 (or only get 6 points) or something like that, then I think the break is spent trying to recalibrate for the future. If this team at this payroll isnt capable of making the playoffs, then big changes are needed in my opinion.

I'm not waving the white flag yet by any means, but after the next 9, I'd say we'd all be in position to make a determination of whether to stick with it this year or start making some alternative plans.

Additionally, I think the break should be spent with Francis being the one who starts taking over some of these GM decisions. JR will be involved forever, we all know that. We can only hope that it is in a consultants role and Francis takes over the GM duties. Hopefully he can do as good a job as Yzerman (what a pipe dream that would be).

Razputyn

Feb 24, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
The season isn't over, even if we have a low % chance of making the playoffs – sitting at like 16% now.

But the absolutist "I can now say with 100% certainty" stuff in the OP... yeah, not my style. Hyperbole is a poor argument, much like this one:

Can anyone honestly disagree that we should have traded him while he still had value? This kid was overpaid at a very young age and clearly cannot stay healthy. Another bad contract to add to the list. He is one concussion away from ending his career. Just another goose egg that JR has dropped. What say you? Discuss!

Last edited:

golfpro827

Jun 30, 2013
Raleigh, NC
This offseason we heard from the OP that Jagr was 100% coming here and Skinner should be traded.

The Canes are not out of this thing.

bluedevil58*

When some of you guys return from La La land please come back and post something constructive.

bluedevil58*

Ok I will bite. Let's say it happens. We do make the playoffs. We will need the follwing to happen:

1. The top line starts scoring again: Check

2. The 2nd line also needs its presence to be made: Not yet.

3. We need solid goal tending: Check

4. We need outstanding defense: .......

5. Ruutu has to show up.

That is the only way. Too many things have to align.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
What if Khudobin never allows a goal for the rest of his career and the top line scores every game? Then I think your checklist can be shortened.

bluedevil58*

You're right. I remember Skinner and Jordan Staal lighting it up and having amazing chemistry during earlier tries. The stats speak for themselves. My apologies in advance.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
You're right. I remember Skinner and Jordan Staal lighting it up and having amazing chemistry during earlier tries. The stats speak for themselves. My apologies in advance.

I think you're being sarcastic? In which case they DID have a really good run together last year before Skinner's concussion.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
I am not ready to say that were out of the playoffs yet.

NY RANGERS GP:52 PTS:57 (They have played 3 more games than us...thats huge)
PHILADELPHIA GP:51 PTS:56
COLUMBUS GP:49 PTS:54
DETROIT GP:50 PTS:54
OTTAWA GP:50 PTS:53
NEW JERSEY GP:51 PTS:53
WASHINGTON GP:50 PTS:52
CAROLINA GP:49 PTS:51

Yes, we have played some bad hockey and lost games that we should have won. But we also have played some really great games and beat teams we had no business beating.

We have 33 games left 33!! We are 6 pts out of being 3rd in our division and only 3 points out of taking the last playoff spot. It will be a battle between all the other teams, but we are still in it.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
We're 7-3 in our last 10. If we play at that pace (likely unsustainable given our March schedule), we should be in the neighborhood of 95-97 points (22 or 23 wins). That's a tall order but not out of the question. The remaining games prior to the Olympic break are going to be a bell weather....5-3 would be solid, 4-4 problematic, 6-2 better than expected. When we come off of the break we have 5 games in 8 days which includes games vs. the Sabres, Stars, Kings, Ducks, and Sharks. That stretch is brutal and will likely tell us whether this is a playoff team or not (no matter where we are in the standings). If we can manage a 3-2 run through that stint, I'd feel much better about our chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad