The Search for the Next Coach

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
Well, sounds like Babcock is staying in Detroit. There goes that dream...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1791397

Update: The glimmer of hope lives on:

“Guys, that’s like a fantasy world or something like that,” Babcock told reporters after practice on Thursday. “Ken Holland and I talked before the year. We agreed we wouldn’t do this during the year. Our team is doing good, our team is playing good. I like the way we’re playing. We don’t need any distractions.”

http://www.tsn.ca/babcock-denies-report-says-no-extension-imminent-with-red-wings-1.157304

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hitchcock isnt signed past this season... Throw a Hall contract at him Katz

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

st louis getting 1st round bounced and hitch getting fired would be a godsend for this team.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
we could also have a shot at Babcock's protege, Todd McLellan.

I'd be overjoyed with McLellan.

Hell, I'd be overjoyed with Andy Murray or Keenan for crying out loud.

They do need to get a new coach, but man the roster needs overhaul. Think many players want out.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
I'd be overjoyed with McLellan.

Hell, I'd be overjoyed with Andy Murray or Keenan for crying out loud.

They do need to get a new coach, but man the roster needs overhaul. Think many players want out.

I'd even be onboard with this guy.

crawford_marc_getty_400.jpg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If San Jose doesn't make the Conference Finals at least I think McLellan is probably done in SJ. We should go hard after him.

Brent Sutter and Marc Crawford are lower rung options, I'd see if McLellan or Hitch shake out first. Bruce Boudreau would not be bad either if Anaheim gets upset early on and he gets axed.

Terry Murray at age 65 honestly is probably too old for this group. Ditto for Keenan, though that would be funny in an odd way to see him here.

NO rookie coaches, sorry not even Todd Nelson. If Nelson wants to eventually coach the Oilers IMO he has to start first as an assistant here for a few years.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I like Hitch because he's got a good record of taking underperforming teams loaded with talent and making them play to their potential. That's all us.

I'm skeptical about Babcock and Crawford. They look good when their team is good. Its hard to say how much they are responsible for their team's success. I heard that great Redwings mini dynasty practically coached itself.

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011
A coach could shake loose during the season. Happened with Bruce Boudreau. Usually some decent team under performs and tries to shake things up. I think there's going to be huge pressure to replace Eakins, and not with some unknown or internal candidate. Edmonton needs an experienced NHL coach that can sort this team out. It's not about fitness or even motivation, but basic systems and play.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My order of preference probably would be

McLellan > Hitchcock > Tippet > Bylsma > Crawford = B. Sutter = McLean

Assuming the first two become available.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like Hitch because he's got a good record of taking underperforming teams loaded with talent and making them play to their potential. That's all us.

I'm skeptical about Babcock and Crawford. They look good when their team is good. Its hard to say how much they are responsible for their team's success. I heard that great Redwings mini dynasty practically coached itself.

To me the biggest issue is having someone who is relevant that the players will respect. Babcock and Hitchock have this IMO, Crawford no.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
If San Jose doesn't make the Conference Finals at least I think McLellan is probably done in SJ. We should go hard after him.

Brent Sutter and Marc Crawford are lower rung options, I'd see if McLellan or Hitch shake out first. Bruce Boudreau would not be bad either if Anaheim gets upset early on and he gets axed.

Terry Murray at age 65 honestly is probably too old for this group. Ditto for Keenan, though that would be funny in an odd way to see him here.

NO rookie coaches, sorry not even Todd Nelson. If Nelson wants to eventually coach the Oilers IMO he has to start first as an assistant here for a few years.

You don't like Willie Desjardins or Jon Cooper? Just because they would be rookie NHL coaches, it does not mean they would be bad, we just picked the worst coach available. Friggin ego maniac name dropper.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I gotta say though Crawford can coach offence.

His last year in Dallas they had five 20+ goal scorers and Riberio just missed the cut as the sixth at 19 goals. He also coached Jamie Benn, the Sedins, Bertuzzi, Naslund, Kopitar, etc. in their formative years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You don't like Willie Desjardins or Jon Cooper? Just because they would be rookie NHL coaches, it does not mean they would be bad, we just picked the worst coach available. Friggin ego maniac name dropper.

No to any rookie coach. Not with a group this young. No way the Oilers will bark up that tree again.

If Nelson wants to coach here he can pay his dues as an assistant and maybe someday he'll get his shot when the team is considerably older.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There aren't even 5 million reasons why Babcock would come to Edmonton - it's about an attractive a proposition for a guy like him as being locked in a box full of rats would be... Yes, that's a euphemism for the Oil locker room.

A guy like Babcock could go to a worse situation if he was given more power. Isn't that the hold up in Detroit?

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

He did a good job with the Ducks before he went to the Wings and that was before the Ducks were any good.

CornWillis

Dec 3, 2014
John Tortorella as interim head coach.

We're not getting anywhere near the playoffs but we can at least screw with the flames.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
No to any rookie coach. Not with a group this young. No way the Oilers will bark up that tree again.

If Nelson wants to coach here he can pay his dues as an assistant and maybe someday he'll get his shot when the team is considerably older.

Nelson has a longer resume than Eakins.

He has a longer resume than Jon Cooper or Willie Desjardins, he has coached most of our players and they always look pretty good when they get to the big club, then about 3 games later, they are Eakined.

OKC just set a record of 9 straight wins, he has a winning record everywhere he has coached.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I wouldn't mind Torts that much to be honest. This team needs a fire brand coach.

I don't think it worked well in Vancouver because their guys (specifically the Sedins) don't respond well to that type of thing.

But we probably would ... at least for a few years. Then you replace him with someone sane, lol.

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
It's been pointed out before, no coach of any merit is coming here. To work under MacT and Lowe's thumb. However, I like Sutter and McLellan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad