News Article: The Score GM Rankings - Bergevin 26th

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Another scathing review of Habs management from media outside Montreal. Marc Bergevin ranked at 26th of 31 NHL GMs. (LV included) His fall from GM of the year nominee to the bottom of the pile is almost as dramatic as the team's collapse last season.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1064619

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
These rankings are pretty brutal if you ask me.

Sweeney, T. Murray, Holland, Tallon, Cheveldayoff, B. Murray and McPhee have not done anything to justify ranking them much higher than MB.

Last edited:

Kid Dynomite

Apr 15, 2009
Amherstburg, ON
The Score's comments read: "Marc Bergevin has signed numerous deals that carry incredible value for the Canadiens, but his allegiances and mismanagement of P.K. Subban stands to define his tenure."

Seems pretty accurate to me.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET

Sweeney, T. Murray, Holland, Tallon, Cheveldayoff, B. Murray and McPhee have not done anything to justify ranking them much higher than MB.

Tallon? You mean the Tallon who's team finished 1st in the East last year? Must be a typo...

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business

hmmm.... not done anything as in, trading away a franchise Dman for another (I won't go into the comparisons on contract, age, etc.) to hitch your wagon unfailingly to the head coach who should be on his last leg?

I agree with their assessment that he has done some good things, but this move will define his tenure and it likely won't reflect well on him. We shall see.....

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Tallon? You mean the Tallon who's team finished 1st in the East last year. Must be a typo...

Let's not pretend the management didn't almost finish first in the East themselves.

Tallon has done the following mistakes:

Sign Bolland, Jovanovski to terrible contracts.

Trade Frolik for J. Skille.

Had the QOs fiasco in Chicago.

Had a bunch of busts as GM with the Hawks.

Traded valuable picks for guys who are still unsigned and were never good fits from the get go (Hudler & Purcell).

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Here we go lol.

The nature of sports. You can be a GM or Coach of the year and suck a year or two later.
Tough gig.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
hmmm.... not done anything as in, trading away a franchise Dman for another (I won't go into the comparisons on contract, age, etc.) to hitch your wagon unfailingly to the head coach who should be on his last leg?

I agree with their assessment that he has done some good things, but this move will define his tenure and it likely won't reflect well on him. We shall see.....

By your standards, Sweeney is guilty of the exact same things. Traded Hamilton for futures and hasn't fired Julien who's been on his last leg since the year before.

Sweeney lost Eriksson for nothing, traded picks for rentals like Stempniak and Liles, didn't even make the playoffs. His team drafted Frederic and they said right off the bat that they don't expect him to ever be more than a third liner. Sounds like a team with a great long term vision here.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
he watched and did nothing to prevent/stop one of the worst collapses in the history of NHL. he is lucky not to be ranked last.

With Price/Petry out, doing nothing and trading whatever UFAs with value (Weise/Flash) was the correct thing to do.

It made no sense to trade any assets for the sake of just making the playoffs.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
With Price/Petry out, doing nothing and trading whatever UFAs with value (Weise/Flash) was the correct thing to do.

People are so dishonest when they trash Bergevin for doing nothing on the player personnel front. There were no goalies available other than Khudobin and Reimer. Price's status was always getting pushed back due to the lack of progression in his rehab, which couldn't be avoided nor predicted. Reimer's value was at his highest in December and would have likely cost a second round pick given the position of weakness MB would have dealt from. Plus, ultimately Price never came back in time, so even if we would have made the playoffs (which I don't think would have happened with Reimer), we would have been ****ed anyway and likely eliminated in the first round.

The fact that MB did 'nothing' as people describe it allowed us to re-coup picks for Weise/Flash and get Markov's long term replacement which is something that's been needed for the last 5 years now.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET

Agreed that trading assets for a short term fix last season wouldn't have been wise in hindsight.

Starting the season with a backup goalie with 0 NHL games was simply negligent and then acquiring Scrivens as a bandaid solution was horrendous. The goalie situation alone last season justifies Bergevin's dismal ranking. The PK trade will make or break his career. Time will tell.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Agreed that trading assets for a short term fix last season wouldn't have been wise in hindsight.

Starting the season with a backup goalie with 0 NHL games was simply negligent and then acquiring Scrivens as a bandaid solution was horrendous. The goalie situation alone last season justifies Bergevin's dismal ranking. The PK trade will make or break his career. Time will tell.

No it doesn't. It only does if you put 95% of the focus on what have you done for me lately which is obviously the case here. In that case, why on earth is Holland so high on the list when he's done sweet ****all since Lidstrom retired.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
No it doesn't. It only does if you put 95% of the focus on what have you done for me lately which is obviously the case here. In that case, why on earth is Holland so high on the list when he's done sweet ****all since Lidstrom retired.

Because he didn't trade Lidstrom? :wg:

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET

Seriously? The Wings made the playoffs last season and the previous 25 as well, I believe. They draft and develop consistently well year after year. Moving the Datsuk contract was a savy cap saver. Holland > Bergevin and it isn't close.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
By your standards, Sweeney is guilty of the exact same things. Traded Hamilton for futures and hasn't fired Julien who's been on his last leg since the year before.

Sweeney lost Eriksson for nothing, traded picks for rentals like Stempniak and Liles, didn't even make the playoffs. His team drafted Frederic and they said right off the bat that they don't expect him to ever be more than a third liner. Sounds like a team with a great long term vision here.

Well, I actually agree with you on Sweeney. I think he's a horrible GM. He's clearly worse than MB. I believe the rankings are for the year though and that one trade is enough to put him lower than Sweeney for this current off season, I think. That being said, if Radulov pays off and they can find somebody to skate first line minutes with Weber other than Markov, it may not look so bad. Still, for this off season, right now, MB doesn't look very good. Over his term, he's "less bad", because he didn't do much of anything.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Seriously? The Wings made the playoffs last season and the previous 25 as well, I believe. They draft and develop consistently well year after year. Moving the Datsuk contract was a savy cap saver. Holland > Bergevin and it isn't close.
So what, it seems like Holland is only focusing on keeping the playoffs streak alive than winning a few rounds in the PO. Fact of the matter is the Wings haven't been relevant since Lidstrom retired and Holland has been exposed for his flaws big time.

A) He's way too LOYAL with his veterans like Cleary. A bunch of players were rotting in the AHL because some past their primes talent like Cleary, Bertuzzi and others were taking away their spots.

B) Their defense has been **** this whole time and he's barely done anything to fix the situation.

C) He downgraded his pick to get rid of Datsyuk's contract and what did he do with the money he saved? He signed Nielsen, a good but not great player and Vanek who's a shell of his former self. You emphasized on how they are a great organization for development well by signing players like Vanek and Helm that leaves no spots for players like Frk, Mantha and Athanasiou.

D) In the last few years, he's made a bunch of stupid moves:

- First for Kyle Quincey.
- Stephen Weiss contract which he ultimately had to buyout.
- Kept Franzen over Hossa.
- Overpays his less important guys like Abdelkader, Helm, Ericsson and gets stuck with them. Can't upgrade his defense when he keep overpaying his lesser players.
- Traded promising players like Janmark and Jarnkrok (plus picks) for rentals like Cole and Legwand who were washed up and ultimately contributed nothing.
- Traded Leino for some D. Murray poorman in Tollefsen.

People who think Holland is a much superior GM to Bergevin are stuck in the past.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Well, I actually agree with you on Sweeney. I think he's a horrible GM. He's clearly worse than MB. I believe the rankings are for the year though and that one trade is enough to put him lower than Sweeney for this current off season, I think. That being said, if Radulov pays off and they can find somebody to skate first line minutes with Weber other than Markov, it may not look so bad. Still, for this off season, right now, MB doesn't look very good. Over his term, he's "less bad", because he didn't do much of anything.

I'd rather have a GM who's inactive or doesn't overpay for rentals than a guy who trades valuable prospects for rentals (see Holland) or trades a third round pick for Zac frigging Rinaldo.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Doesn't matter, Molson loves the guy. Only the fans can change this, and it would having a half empty arena for 10 home games.. and that won't happen. Molson knows he can do anything he wants and the people will flock to his arena and drink he beer.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Not that I'm a Bergevin apologist, far from it but a lot of the flack he's gotten is for a trade where the results are far from in.

If Weber comes in and does what he's done in the past and the Habs finish near the top of the East which I think is expected with a health Price, this 26th place finish becomes rather ridiculous. In any case, Habs are a legitimate contending team, Bergevin was seen by his peers to be good enough to be an AGM for team Canada and he's made some solid moves this offseason. To say he's the 28th ranked GM I think is completely uncalled for unless we're the bottom 5 worst team come end of the season. Until then, these "rankings" are all conjecture.

Last edited:

E82

Feb 3, 2015
Not that I'm a Bergevin apologist, far from it but a lot of the flack he's gotten is for a trade where the results are far from in.

If Weber comes in and does what he's done in the past and the Habs finish near the top of the East which I think is expected with a health Price, this 28th place finish becomes rather ridiculous. In any case, Habs are a legitimate contending team, Bergevin was seen by his peers to be good enough to be an AGM for team Canada and he's made some solid moves this offseason. To say he's the 28th ranked GM I think is completely uncalled for unless we're the 3rd worst team come end of the season. Until then, these "rankings" are all conjecture.

Not sure I agree with that, Subban was traded not even two months ago. A good majority of people have been on MB's case ever since we started slipping in the standings.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Not sure I agree with that, Subban was traded not even two months ago. A good majority of people have been on MB's case ever since we started slipping in the standings.

The brunt of most of these negative shots at Bergevin have the PK trade in mind. Until they start playing games, it's pure conjecture that it was a bad trade. If Habs win the Cup or go the finals next year, is he still a 26th ranked GM.

Rutherford was being completely destroyed during most of the season. Pens win the Cup and he's a superstar now. Just saying these rankings are far from being an accurate measure of an actual GM's ability.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The brunt of most of these negative shots at Bergevin have the PK trade in mind. Until they start playing games, it's pure conjecture that it was a bad trade. If Habs win the Cup or go the finals next year, is he still a 26th ranked GM.

Rutherford was being completely destroyed during most of the season. Pens win the Cup and he's a superstar now. Just saying these rankings are far from being an accurate measure of an actual GM's ability.

Rutherford did make a big trade that turned the tables, and that trade was instrumental in the journey to the Cup.

If the Subban trade has the same outcome, Bergevin will be back close to the top.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Rutherford did make a big trade that turned the tables, and that trade was instrumental in the journey to the Cup.

If the Subban trade has the same outcome, Bergevin will be back close to the top.

I'd say the biggest move Rutherford did was firing Johnston who was WAY over his head. Everybody benefited from the move except Fleury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad