The Schedule Gets Easier

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Last time the Canucks was the underdog in the playoffs was 2002, Detroit series. That is a long time ago. It is also the last time the Canucks opened their playoffs on the road at the same year. Maybe it is a good thing they open the playoffs on the road and get some upset along the way. Who knows? It is more likely that the Canucks plays against Anaheim or LA so the Canucks is due for a win on the road in the playoffs.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
Who cares?
You need to beat the best to win the cup.

Clearly the Canucks are nowhere close to consistently competing with the best in the league.

The "easier" schedule may get us into the playoffs, but it'll be another 1st round sweep. So much for retooling.

Plus there's no easy game these days in the NHL.

btdvox

Jul 5, 2013
Vancouver
Because I'm not a bandwagoner?

...Except that you are because you don't have a SHRED of optimism.

In fact you're worse than bandwagoners because we all have to hear of what "you" think, when honestly, I haven't read a single post where your opinion even made sense.

Sorry but I'm just speaking the truth.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
...Except that you are because you don't have a SHRED of optimism.

In fact you're worse than bandwagoners because we all have to hear of what "you" think, when honestly, I haven't read a single post where your opinion even made sense.

Sorry but I'm just speaking the truth.

Oh no, I'm optimistic we'll get a good draft pick. But why would I be optimistic about this season? I've called for doom and gloom and so far been proven right. I've predicted offense would be our major problem in the playoffs for two straight years and been proven right (it will be again), I predicted our early playoff demise past year and was proven right. What is there to be optimistic about??

The Canucks have a guy who should be in the AHL on the top line, and have even used Tom Sestito on the power play some nights.

Sorry, but I'm just speaking the truth.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
I hate it when the team basically gets swept in the first round of the playoffs two years in a row, and doesn't make any major on-ice changes. The end-result is so predictable.

Under this current CBA, what NHL franchise can make major on-ice changes that are on the positive side.
It's much easier to clear out and rebuild like Florida & Calgary.

We have to pray Eric Crawford is going to do a better job than Ron Delorme.
Had this change in staff been made 4 years ago, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion right now

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Oh, an easy schedule up ahead to get peoples hopes up again. :laugh:

We just need to make the Wild Card slot, if the Canucks can't do that with this "easy" schedule. Then that would be really pathetic.

This team is good enough to make the Wild Card slot

earl grey

all the best posts
Apr 21, 2013
What does it matter? This is not a team that will compete in the playoffs. Come on you're kidding yourself if you believe this team has the tact to win in the playoffs.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yup. February-Early April looks good. Then we'll get to the playoffs and get swept in the first round again.

I really can't see any other scenario happening barring a remarkable deadline deal.

(Maybe not swept, but out in round 1)

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
The easy schedule is great. We're going to need it to make the playoffs, and even then it isn't a sure thing if some of the teams behind us heat up.

I don't care about all the losing to "playoff teams" at this point. Just get into the second season, and everyone starts from zero. Some of the much better teams might even be suffering from injuries at that point, or something, or Davorski might not be allowed to ref Canucks games in the playoffs -- you never know what is gonna happen. It's a whole new thing at that point, and there is plenty of time to be depressed during the off season. I'm not going to bother with it now.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Oh no, I'm optimistic we'll get a good draft pick. But why would I be optimistic about this season? I've called for doom and gloom and so far been proven right. I've predicted offense would be our major problem in the playoffs for two straight years and been proven right (it will be again), I predicted our early playoff demise past year and was proven right. What is there to be optimistic about??

The Canucks have a guy who should be in the AHL on the top line, and have even used Tom Sestito on the power play some nights.

Sorry, but I'm just speaking the truth.
It sucks that you're right. It also sucks that these are the exact same problems the club has had since the latter half of 2012, too. Problems that haven't even begun to be addressed.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It sucks that you're right. It also sucks that these are the exact same problems the club has had since the latter half of 2012, too. Problems that haven't even begun to be addressed.

What sucks even more is we HAD the right elements on the team. Surely no one expects the team to absolutely dominate like 10-11; however, we had the pieces to be an elite team for a few years and we have slowly eroded that by not addressing our holes. Suddenly those holes became bigger, and as core players have regressed the problems have become more prevalent.

What's also sad/scary is that going into the trade deadline the team will be coming off an easy schedule. Perhaps Gillis falls victim to fools gold, sees a couple wins and believes we are actually a contender and makes some rental acquisitions? I hope not.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
What's also sad/scary is that going into the trade deadline the team will be coming off an easy schedule. Perhaps Gillis falls victim to fools gold, sees a couple wins and believes we are actually a contender and makes some rental acquisitions? I hope not.

Hasn't he been doing that ever since our 2011 run ended?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
What sucks even more is we HAD the right elements on the team. Surely no one expects the team to absolutely dominate like 10-11; however, we had the pieces to be an elite team for a few years and we have slowly eroded that by not addressing our holes. Suddenly those holes became bigger, and as core players have regressed the problems have become more prevalent.

So in one post you've managed to criticize gillis for not addressing team needs, while at the same time criticize him for possibly trying to address team needs at the deadline? Surely you can see how foolish this is.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Hasn't he been doing that ever since our 2011 run ended?

Eh not really. In 2012 he dealt away a producing player for futures. Last year he did when the team clearly needed more than Roy. Who knows this year? But I think it's pretty obvious we aren't a top team, and essentially need an easy schedule ahead just to make the playoffs.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
There's a fine line between optimism and naivety as well as pessimism and reality.

The Canucks are what 1-7-3 against the California teams? One of which just finished sweeping them out of the playoffs. Then there's the Hawks and Blues... They just don't stack up. Could they make some noise? In a perfect world yes. Have they give us any reason to beleive they will? Not in my opinion. If you look at things objectively, they Canucks are likely going nowhere. But anything can happen. That's why they play the games. The aforementioned Kings weren't expected to do a lot the year they won the cup. While I can't see the Canucks getting the type of breaks the Kings did, there is reason for optimism... There's just probably more reason for pessimism at this point... I appreciate the optimism, but I don't blame people for being pessimistic at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad