The Schedule Gets Easier

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
There's 7 teams I would consider "contenders" for this year: ANA, LAK, SJS, CHI, STL, PIT, BOS. The Canucks have 24 games scheduled against these teams. Up until tonight's Ducks game, we've had 18/48 (38%) of our games against contenders. After tonight, we only have 6/34 (18%), and five of those six are at home.

Yeah, the rest of the schedule is basically one long December. Just thought that calls for some optimism after our last few games. Obviously they'll still have to play hard, but there should be winning streaks coming in the near future. :nod:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
There's 7 teams I would consider "contenders" for this year: ANA, LAK, SJS, CHI, STL, PIT, BOS. The Canucks have 24 games scheduled against these teams. Up until tonight's Ducks game, we've had 18/48 (38%) of our games against contenders. After tonight, we only have 6/34 (18%), and five of those six are at home.

Yeah, the rest of the schedule is basically one long December. Just thought that calls for some optimism after our last few games. Obviously they'll still have to play hard, but there should be winning streaks coming in the near future. :nod:

Yup. February-Early April looks good. Then we'll get to the playoffs and get swept in the first round again.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Yup. February-Early April looks good. Then we'll get to the playoffs and get swept in the first round again.

Even you don't believe Luongo is good enough to steal a game anymore. :laugh:

I wouldn't be surprised if the schedule thus far has been as tough a 50 game sample as any team has seen in the NHL in the last 30 years. The cumulative record/goal differential of our opponents is basically unheard of...

This bodes very well for the Canucks chances of making the playoffs.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
According to this, we will have the 3rd easiest schedule the rest of the way. Behind TB and SJ. LA and ANA are middle of the pack.

Things don't look too good for Minny, Colorado and TO though.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Problem is the teams we're losing to now are the ones we will face in the playoffs, nothing really to celebrate as it stands. Unless we miraculously get into first in the division.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
I would rather us playing tough teams while not winning so much but feeling motivated than thinking their good heading into the playoffs after beating easy teams. Want to see a full effort every game in the playoffs than the way we started in the playoffs the last two years - half assed like we are some big shots. If we do go down in the first round though which is likely, atleast show some battle level.

Wetcoaster

Problem is the teams we're losing to now are the ones we will face in the playoffs, nothing really to celebrate as it stands. Unless we miraculously get into first in the division.
They refer to the play-offs as the "second season" for a reason. Throw out the form charts.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
According to this, we will have the 3rd easiest schedule the rest of the way. Behind TB and SJ. LA and ANA are middle of the pack.

Things don't look too good for Minny, Colorado and TO though.

Saw that today, definitely bodes well for a strong finish for the team, this team should definitely make the playoffs assuming the core stays healthy.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC

whaAat? Optimism on the Nucks board?? Someone report this poster to be banned

There we go, that sounds more like a Nucks fan. Thought I was on the wrong forum for a minute.

:biglaugh:

Soth, you're the best.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
We've tried being a favourite, it doesn't work. Let's go for that whole Cinderella business again. A new 1994 with a different ending.

Yup, it just doesn't really matter where they are in the standings. The Canucks won the President's trophy and matched up against a Hawk team 2 years removed from the Stanley cup and that went on to win 2 year later. They then won the PT trophy and had a 1st rd matchup with as dominant a playoff team as the league has ever witnessed in the modern era...

Just get it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
No pressure this year. Making the playoffs and not looking woeful in the first round is a pass, ruining some contender's year and getting out of the first round would massive bonus.

Lundface*

The team has been playing through injuries, not on top of their game and losing in the weirdest ways possible.

They have been competitive in every single game, losing most in OT/SO or by one goal. Against the best teams in the league it isn't so bad. Win that Pitt game (dumb luck not to IMO) and they'd be doing about as good as you can expect them to. Anyone expecting them to win all these games is having some serious delusions.

The play of Eddie Lack has to be encouraging though. He's proving that the team as constructed doesn't need the best goaltending in the world to win games. Give him some experience, hopefully he can improve some of his weaknesses and become a top tier starter.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
No team has ever started firing on all cylinders in the playoffs and went on for a good run. Especially not with a team with 2 30 year olds making 6 million bucks.

Oh.... Wait...

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
The Canucks aren't what they were 3 years ago. That much should be obvious to anyone objective. They're a solid, middle of the road pack team capable of getting hot and maybe doing some damage in the playoffs. I think it's the people who still have unrealistic expectations for them that will end up setting themselves up for disappointment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad