the sawchuk movie goalie...is it in dvd yet?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I haven't seen the movie, but from what I read and heard it may be a bit darker then the NHL would have liked. IF the producers did not change their vision of the movie for the sake of having the NHL on board, then more power to them.

Apocalypse Now could not get US military assistance as they balked at some of the plot and asked for Kurts command to be "Relieved", not "Terminated" resulting in the producers having to use Phillipine Military Huey choppers.

Can anyone vouch on the actual content of the film? I can live with phony jerseys if the story hasn't been touched up too much as most of these "Based on real events" type of flicks always seem to be.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
When the producers of the movie "Apollo 13" asked NASA for help and authenticity for movie, they were turned down flat. Supposedly NASA did not want a movie made on the mistakes NASA and the near tragedy that happened on the flight.
The producers then said they would seek aid from the Russians, and the Russian would provide technical info and the spacecraft replicas for the movie.
Then NASA got very agreeable. They didn't want the Russian influence (and an ugly space capsule) on the movie. The producers got everything they wanted from NASA.
Just saying the NHL could have a influence on the movie if they had cooperated. Gee, what is so embarrassing about in the NHL Sawchuk era....50 years ago. Believe there is are just three owners or their families that owned club in 1969 and still own teams now.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I'd be interested in some insight as to why they couldn't use the real jerseys. I've seen bio pics on Maurice Richard, Don Cherry, Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay, and they all used authentic looking jerseys. I wonder what really got in the way this time.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It was not a great movie, I didn't think. The jerseys thing was distracting. It automatically made the movie cheap and low budget. Okay fine it wasn't an A-lister playing in the movie anyway, but movies like "The Rocket" among others didn't have that "cheap" feel that this one did.

Plus they kept going back and back to those dead puppies. So Sawchuk saw some dead puppies as a kid, okay fine, but that really carried throughout his whole career?

The movie just bounced around all over the place. When it cut to the scene where he and Ron Stewart get into a fight it almost felt as if that scene was halfway through before they cut to it. A little context on the scene perhaps?

I don't know, I thought it was pretty lousy as a hockey movie. It was dark in many ways, but that wasn't the problem.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think Disney's (much as it pains me to admit it) Miracle (2004) and The Rocket (aka: Maurice Richard) (2005) are the two best hockey movies I've seen. In fact, they're probably the only two really good ones.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think Disney's (much as it pains me to admit it) Miracle (2004) and The Rocket (aka: Maurice Richard) (2005) are the two best hockey movies I've seen. In fact, they're probably the only two really good ones.
Well...

AYC_HtOQ_400x400.jpg

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I have to admit I've never seen Slapshot. The few clips I've seen suggested it wasn't really my thing, but I guess I should see it sometime...
I've seen several hockey movies, most of them made for television. I wouldn't call any of them "great". But there were some very good ones. The Maurice Richard one was very good. Surprisingly, I really liked the Don Cherry one. And as far as authenticity is concerned, those two along with the Ted Lindsay and Gordie Howe movies were well done. I even saw that old Canadian film from around '71 that used real hockey players from the day (Derek Sanderson and a bunch of Leafs) that involved the hockey player and the hippy girl. And of course, my guilty pleasure (the one with Swayze and Lowe). As you can see, I don't even remember the real titles for most of these films. That's because for the most part, the writing was paper thin, the directors seemed largely inexperienced and overall they were "meh".

Faves: Slapshot, Don Cherry (both parts, but especially part one) and the Maurice Richard one.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
And of course, my guilty pleasure (the one with Swayze and Lowe).
That would be Youngblood, one of the worst films ever, with a horrid performance by Rob Lowe (and Keanu Reeves playing a French-Canadian goalie). How not to make a sports movie.
Faves: Slapshot, Don Cherry (both parts, but especially part one) and the Maurice Richard one.
You should really see Miracle. Don't let the Disney whiff scare you -- the hockey scenes are extremely well done.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
That would be Youngblood, one of the worst films ever, with a horrid performance by Rob Lowe (and Keanu Reeves playing a French-Canadian goalie). How not to make a sports movie.

You should really see Miracle. Don't let the Disney whiff scare you -- the hockey scenes are extremely well done.
American ra-ra sh** makes me gag.

...and I stress the "guilty" in "guilty pleasure" when it comes to Youngblood. It's such an 80's movie, it takes me back to my mullet days!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad