Post-Game Talk: The Saviour Givith!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The way some people view players and the game overall makes me question my sanity sometimes.

I get that everyone has their own opinion on things but reading back a couple pages was eye opening...

I think I'm scared.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I'd like to see that Holland-Bozak-Marner line again. JVR can be put with Leo-Kadri or Matthews/Marner. Not saying permenantly but just another trial-run

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
My takeaways:

JVR-Bozak-Marner line: Marner looks very skilled but that line will get scored on a lot. Bozak does not have good defensive skills. JVR is better defensively, but not by alot. Marner is in the same boat as Bozak in that department, but he will improve. Offensively, they looked very good, as one would expect. Marner reminded me Kessel, if he thought pass instead of shoot. I'd pull Marner off that line and replace with Brown or Hyman who would be the defensive conscience.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander: Excellent line and performed like it. Hyman does not fit there. Need more skill to maximize. I'd replace him with Michalek or Komarov as the vet presence will help a lot and they better two way players.

Komarov-Kadri-Michalek: Almost the inverse of the "first" line. Too much defensive game, not enough skill. Kadri needs a better skilled player than what he is given. Would replace Komarov or Michalek with Marner.

Martin-Gauthier-Brown: Strong shut down defensive line. Brown looked lost a bit, probably because he is a skill guy playing with forecheckers. Hyman would be a natural fit there instead. Would look very similar to the line that Martin previously played with.

Rielly-Marincin: Very good job by both. Marincin will be replaced by Zaitsev very soon.

Hunwick-Zaitsev: Hunwick is playing too much and should be limited to bottom pairing. Zaitsev looked very good. Would make this a Gardiner-Marincin pairing. Good offsetting skillsets that would compliment each other.

Valiev-Polak: Not good really. Valiev clearly needs more time in the AHL, and he'll get it. Polak looked tired and slow. I would replace Valiev with Hunwick, will do a better job, but don't expect offense.

Sparks/Enroth. Looked good in limited action. Sparks will be the backup goalie by next season.

This is clearly going to be a transitional year. No more placeholders will be brought in through trade. This team is closer than many expected, which makes sense since this team has been rebuilding organically since 2008.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Game was good, but given the opposition we can't get excited by the overall performance.

Zaitsev nice goal, individual result.
Rielly goal was nice, smart play by Nylander.
Hunwick, about the only thing he did good was put the puck in the empty net.

No finish by the forwards, Price was good (I know - :sarcasm:).

van Riemsdyk opened the scoring with a pass and ended the scoring with a pass.

The kids up front are looking good, and Michalek looked good. If healthy Michalek could find himself on another team.

ForSpareParts*

It was a game against the Canadiens' B-squad but here's some takes:

The vets:
D - Hunwick and Polak were bad but, at least for Hunwick, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt since these are the first games he's playing. Polak, however, had the full benefit of playing in the WCH. Marincin looked really solid and he might be a bit faster this year in straight-line skating. His point shot could use a little bit more deceptiveness as it scared me when he would be stationary and shoot it off after a minute with the puck. Rielly and Zaitsev were fantastic.

F - Michalek looked pretty good, as did Komarov and Kadri. Michalek was skating really well and working the boards well. Komarov was the best of the three tonight. I'm also liking how Naz has been put on the ice for the second half of the PK and was impressed by his ability consistently to gain the zone and provide relief. For a guy who needs grinders to crash the net and work off of rebounds, he really calms the game down for the Leafs. Martin was good and tried (and failed) at some creative stuff. He, Komarov, and Hyman were good "bangers"...they seem like mainstays. JVR was pretty good and used his size really well. I wanna see how he does when the spotlight is cast away from him and onto the wunderkids. Bozak was good too though there were some puck protection snafus tonight.

Rooks:
D - Valiev had issues tonight but displayed his calmness with the puck really well. Needs work on his skating though but there's tons to work with. Good prospect to develop into a safe middle pairing guy.

F - Nylander was on and off. There were some amazing plays and a few head-scratchers. When the talk about us getting Stamkos was going on, I actually had him, Matthews and Kapanen penciled in as substitutes for that PP one-timer Stammer brings...nice to see defensemen that can consistently get it to his wheelhouse though the whiffs were pretty funny to watch. The "consistency" argument against him held true tonight where we saw him stripping pucks really effectively by leveraging his body but this was not the case the same the game before. Developed chemistry with Matthews as the game progressed. Matthews simply was a great player tonight, not just a great prospect. Also saw a glimpse of his competitiveness when he was having none of it from Montreal's #24 (or was it #43?). Marner just thinks the game so well and his passing and skating game was in full view tonight. He could stay on the team as a legitimate PP option and grow into a disgusting 200ft guy. Gauthier was a lot like Valiev where his game could become that much better with skating improvements. Solid showing tonight--very responsible player.

I think that's all the players. Goalies shouldn't be scouted in games like these though Enroth looked solid and Sparks fought well.

Thanks for this. Enjoyed reading it.

:)

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
xLsjlDL.png

There have been comments that people are surprised that the score wasn't more lopsided -- but the flow of play was lopsided in the extreme.

Best of all is Willie Nylander: while he was on the ice, the Leafs gave up 5 shots against, but took 14.

Michalek and Hunwick need to GTFO.

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
Anyone who saw the game would know that the Leafs dominated. Don't need any stats for that.

abvhiael

Oct 15, 2010
Alright, enough with the preseason already, and let's get on with the Big Show. Damn that was a fine game last night. I've been a die-hard loyal leafs fan since I was a kid growing up 30 minutes outside Edmonton during the Gretzky dynasty. This is the first time in years I've been this excited about the upcoming seasn. Hells yeah, PLAY THE KIDS.

Matthews: oh sweet baby Jesus, this kid has poise, and talent just oozes out of his ears. That Rielly goal, the Habs D were watching Matthews coming down on the net and left Mo'Riles open. He did so many LITTLE things RIGHT.

Marner: oh sweet baby Jesus REDUX. Bozie, JVR and Marner worked beaurtifully. Kid has such vision. Has that extra gear in his speed that he just turns on effortlessly.

Zaitsev: run rabbit run! Being a rookie, you'd easily think he's just another kid, but at 25 and played for 7 years in the KHL, Rabbit has some nice tools. In the Offensive zone, he seems to be in the right place ALL THE TIME. There were no rushed passes to nowhere, even when he was under pressure. He looked like a seasoned pro with his decisions.

Nylander: got lost a little at times, or tried to make one too many passes, but watching him and Matthews wheel and deal was a treat.

Rielly: Why isnt he wearing the C? Seriously. Yeah, Matthews is all that and a bag of chips, but Mo'Riles seems to have that "it" factor, shows leadership on the ice, and has enough talent to consistently push the other team on it's heels when the Lafs are attacking.

Goat: i liked this pick from the beginning, and im glasd that he's been allowed to develop slowly and without the hype. i dont see the issue with his skating, might take him a stride more to get to full speed, but those gazelle legs of his, they pretty big strides to begin with. skates with his head up constantly, always looking around... cant wait for him to stick, great 3rd line guy.

There werent too many gaffes, I mean... POLAK, (face*palm) but he DID get that puck in the face, so mebbe he was a little rattled...

all in all.. i mean we watched these boys COMPETE and bring it every night last year. And they didnt have the talent to match their stride, but with the talent this year, with Babs comfortable behind the bench.. even my brother, a long-suffering Habs fan (yeah, im the one long-suffering, but i still think being a Habs fan is a sure sign of mental illness, to which he refuses to see a psychiatrist or entertain the idea of medication) admits that the Buds are gonna be hard to beat this year.

I dont care where we place this year, if we make the playoffs or are edge of the seat anxious on lottery date, but this year is gonna be ENTERTAINING at the very least, and if the boys show the effort they put out last year, I dont think we'll even be considering who Nolan Patrick is next years draft other than hoping some other team, preferrably in the west, gets him because we will be more concerned who the Leafs pick 30th. (or is it 31st with the expansion next year?)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Anyone who saw the game would know that the Leafs dominated. Don't need any stats for that.

There are some people that didn't think they did due to the score. Some even thought Marner, Nylander and some of the other players weren't very good when everything else says otherwise.

Rymistri

Jun 17, 2011
Ottawa
Rielly's development has really impressed me. Having a full year under Babcock, being the #1 D for Canada at the Worlds, and then being playing on the top pair for Team NA....he has really improved over the past year.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
My takeaways:

JVR-Bozak-Marner line: Marner looks very skilled but that line will get scored on a lot. Bozak does not have good defensive skills. JVR is better defensively, but not by alot. Marner is in the same boat as Bozak in that department, but he will improve. Offensively, they looked very good, as one would expect. Marner reminded me Kessel, if he thought pass instead of shoot. I'd pull Marner off that line and replace with Brown or Hyman who would be the defensive conscience.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander: Excellent line and performed like it. Hyman does not fit there. Need more skill to maximize. I'd replace him with Michalek or Komarov as the vet presence will help a lot and they better two way players.

Komarov-Kadri-Michalek: Almost the inverse of the "first" line. Too much defensive game, not enough skill. Kadri needs a better skilled player than what he is given. Would replace Komarov or Michalek with Marner.

Martin-Gauthier-Brown: Strong shut down defensive line. Brown looked lost a bit, probably because he is a skill guy playing with forecheckers. Hyman would be a natural fit there instead. Would look very similar to the line that Martin previously played with.

Rielly-Marincin: Very good job by both. Marincin will be replaced by Zaitsev very soon.

Hunwick-Zaitsev: Hunwick is playing too much and should be limited to bottom pairing. Zaitsev looked very good. Would make this a Gardiner-Marincin pairing. Good offsetting skillsets that would compliment each other.

Valiev-Polak: Not good really. Valiev clearly needs more time in the AHL, and he'll get it. Polak looked tired and slow. I would replace Valiev with Hunwick, will do a better job, but don't expect offense.

Sparks/Enroth. Looked good in limited action. Sparks will be the backup goalie by next season.

This is clearly going to be a transitional year. No more placeholders will be brought in through trade. This team is closer than many expected, which makes sense since this team has been rebuilding organically since 2008.

This is pretty much exactly what I saw. Very good analysis.

I think Marner just needs to get more confidence.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This is pretty much exactly what I saw. Very good analysis.

I think Marner just needs to get more confidence.

... What makes you think he needs more confidence? The way he's played in this pre-season so far makes me think his confidence level is incredibly high. You don't make the kind of puck rushes and plays without high confidence.

I genuinely don't know what you mean. I'm very confused.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
xLsjlDL.png

There have been comments that people are surprised that the score wasn't more lopsided -- but the flow of play was lopsided in the extreme.

Best of all is Willie Nylander: while he was on the ice, the Leafs gave up 5 shots against, but took 14.

Michalek and Hunwick need to GTFO.

Michalek wasn't as bad as those numbers suggest. He had some nice moments where he was a step away from scoring, made things happen with the puck but just lost it near the end of his rushes. I think as the rust comes off he will get better at finishing.

Hunwick though, yeah we really need to limit him to bottom pairing....hoping Zaitsev can step into the top 4 right away so it can be Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev....Marincin? We still need 1 more top 4 d man.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Remember the Money Ball scene where Billy Beane asks his scouts, "if the kid is such a good hitter, why can't he hit?" as everyone is talking about how great a prospect's form is, but he doesn't actually have good hitting statistics?

That's how Nylander is in reverse. The dude has the best defensive numbers on the team, and was close to that over his 20 games last year, yet because of the way he does it, people think he "floats".

He doesn't immediately and aggressively attacking the puck carrier, who, if he is smart, can easily stick handle and skate past the defensive player by forcing him to be reactive. While this kind of reactive defensive style looks good, Nylander is in the far superior Datsyuk/Bergeron mold, which is to mind**** the opposing player with the meta game, only striking when the time is right.

And, of course, just like Patrice Bergeron is the most underrated player in the game of hockey today, not even the fans of the team seem to get Nylander. Who was the best player on the ice again, tonight.

If you can't see it, start by pay attention to the outcomes, rather than how they are achieved.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
... What makes you think he needs more confidence? The way he's played in this pre-season so far makes me think his confidence level is incredibly high. You don't make the kind of puck rushes and plays without high confidence.

I genuinely don't know what you mean. I'm very confused.

He looked great against rookies but when put against NHL players he seems to always chip it in or look too much pass first. On the power play he is always looking to ditch the puck instead of making the move. His game is a puck handling game which relies on being able to beat your man by inches - when you go from playing against rookie scrubs to NHL talent you can't do the same things right away, for fear of making turnovers. He will realize how close he can dangle and how quick he needs to make those outlet passes, and then he will be able to hold onto the puck a little more.

I'm just saying, it's a big bump from JR and rookie camp to NHL talent, and it takes time. People need to be patient with him. Not going to be a top line guy off the bat.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Everyone realizes that the Habs AHL team took our NHL team to overtime, right?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He looked great against rookies but when put against NHL players he seems to always chip it in or look too much pass first. On the power play he is always looking to ditch the puck instead of making the move. His game is a puck handling game which relies on being able to beat your man by inches - when you go from playing against rookie scrubs to NHL talent you can't do the same things right away, for fear of making turnovers. He will realize how close he can dangle and how quick he needs to make those outlet passes, and then he will be able to hold onto the puck a little more.

I'm just saying, it's a big bump from JR and rookie camp to NHL talent, and it takes time. People need to be patient with him. Not going to be a top line guy off the bat.

Well he's only played 3 pre-season games and really hasn't been put in a situation where he's consistently against "true" NHL players. I don't think his game changed at all depending on who he's on the ice with.

I think his confidence is just fine and he's showcasing his elite skill level, agility and passing ability. He's been our best shot generator since the start of pre-season with very few mistakes for the amount of time he handles the puck. This is a good sign compared to last years pre-season.

What you're saying has nothing to do with confidence to me. It's all about consistency and development. I don't think anyone expects a flawless game and the consistency of a veteran from a 19 year old player who hasn't played in a pro league like a few of the other rookies we have.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Everyone realizes that the Habs AHL team took our NHL team to overtime, right?

Bad teams sometimes get lucky. I've seen teams get outshot by 20+ shots and completely dominated but still win a hockey game. Heck, we all witnessed this on a regular basis under Carlyle.

Play that game again and it's probably very different.

This is why the best team in the league doesn't win 82 games.

buttman*

Polak to the AHL?

I remember someone posted a 'theory' thread about this the other week. Cor maybe? Seems more and more viable as each day passes. Although, if I were a betting man, I'd guess he's kept on the NHL roster as the 7-8D depth.

he wont be going to the a

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think it's going to take some time to figure out forward pairs that work. I've said this before, and I noticed it last night, we have too many forwards who like to have the puck on their stick and not enough pure trigger men. Results in over passing, and bad decision making at the blue line.

Long term, I get the feeling one of Matthews, Kadri, Nylander or Marner will have to be traded for a sniper (or D). Obviously you never trade Matthews. Kadri brings other things to the table that makes him more valuable. That leaves Marner or Nylander. We'll see who brings what skills to the table going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad